Cardboard & Coins - the modern board game thread

Has anyone here played Secret Hitler? I was watching a GDC video on it, and the concept and gameplay seem incredibly intriguing

http://www.secrethitler.com

I got Kingdomino a while back. My kids love it, very quick and easy to understand but poses some tough choices.

I just recently bought Fresco on a big sale and really enjoyed it for a low to mid weight worker placement. The colour mixing is fun and I enjoy the reveal process as well.

I also purchased Hero Realms, and I’m mildly disappointed. It doesnt feel quite as balanced as star realms and I miss the ability to scrap cards in the trade row. Here’s hoping the coop pack that comes out is fun.

Past couple of weeks I’ve gotten back into the boardgame world after a couple of years of only playing with family at holidays and then usually semi-light stuff. The return has been a delight so far.

Blood Rage is a lot of systems, but the heavy idea is that it pits players against each other during Ragnarok and there are many paths to victory. I ended up going the route of getting as many of my units killed during each Ragnarok rounds and earning extra points for each unit I had in Valhalla. It totally worked and was a lot of fun to intentionally put myself in terrible positions where I would die. It felt like a great way to balance the fact that there’s usually one player lagging behind. Here, getting the short end of the stick gets you points if you plan correctly.

Galaxy Trucker has you build a ship and then see how it fares in the dangerous void of space. The frantic ship-building should result in some kind of mess, but I mostly ended up being way too OCD and building a hefty vessel. The rest, not so much. We were all getting a feel for the game, so I imagine on more plays it’ll be a lot more difficult as I think you have to build under the pressure of a timer.

Legends of Andor is a high-fantasy coop game that seems to have branching elements, but the tutorial mission we played was rather straightforward. I can see the potential here and the core mechanics meant that each person had that one trick that could make the seemingly impossible a lot more likely. And each character seems to have some way to modify or exert a bit of control the dice combat, which is always something I prefer in dice combat.

Cthulhu Wars is a miniature heavy game where Great Old Ones lead armies to attain the most doom. I love the look and the world and it plays great as well. Each faction has their own set of mechanics and you have to tackle each opponent in a different way. Super asymmetrical and one of those games that you quickly feel like at any moment your whole plan could fall apart. Don’t worry, everyone else feels this as well. I think of these four I was introduced to, I like this one the most. I’d love to have a go with the other factions.

I’m loving getting back into this hobby because there’s something so compelling about the whole experience. The tactility of a physical plays pace, the presence of real people, the constant conversations about how one game reminds you of another game. And then you spend 30 minutes running through similar titles and hearing about games you haven’t played but now sound amazing and next week can’t come soon enough.

Been playing more board games. This is about a month’s worth of tabletop gaming so strap in, this is gonna be a long one.

Castles of Burgundy is super euro and quite good. Complex enough to make you think a lot about how all the pieces work but simple enough that I think most people could get into it. It’s not that similar to Catan, but it kinda captures what I hope Catan would do as you’re rolling dice to spend on various actions to do various things on a hexy, hexy board.

Cyclades Left me a little cold. I like the idea, but the bidding system felt like it artificially limits your actions. You can spend the whole game building towards a two-front invasion and then lose because someone outbidded you. Or you can be dirt poor and end up getting shoved off to the get gold Apollo which is almost a waste of a turn. I hear Titans expansion fixes some of that so I’m willing to give it another shot.

Wiz-War was cute, I guess. Seemed to be highly dependent on what cards you get as some people were running halfway across the board and turning rooms around willy-nilly while others simply plodded along. I tend to like confrontational games like this to be a bit more grandiose and so this felt rather inconsequential and too short to satisfy what I want from this type of game.

Biblios plays super easy and is a nice little filler game. The core system of having to draw five cards one at a time and deciding whether to keep, forgoing the rest of the cards you draw, auction, or put out for the other players to take, makes for a lot of great moments as people pause in consideration or shake his or her head at drawing a better card he or she has to give away. I’m still not sure about a lot of card-heavy fillers I’ve played, but this one was a lot of fun.

My group started up Pandemic Legacy: Season 1 and boy is this game fun. I think everyone in the group worried because of how pedantic Pandemic feels at this point. It’s a fantastic game, but one of those gateway games into much more complex and interesting coop games. This, however, adds so much flavor with the permanence it brings and makes for these nail-biting moments where you have to risk which city you want to sacrifice or if you really want to end your turn in a city that might outbreak. It’s the kind of high-stakes I like in board-gaming and the fact it’s not competitive means you’re all biting your nails at each action and each spread of infection.

The Manhattan Project is a decent worker placement game. It’s deceptively slow at first and then snowballed into a grand finale where I lost by one point. But it was such a blast and so unexpected, I didn’t even care. I thought about maybe getting this for the family, but I worry that the slow early game might bore them.

My group also decided to start up Star Wars: Imperial Assault. It’s interesting enough so far and feels a lot like a combat session you might have in a DnD game. I’m curious to see how the campaign evolves if we keep playing. Also love that we’re playing without any stinking Jedi because Jedi really are the worst part of Star Wars.

The last new to me game we played was Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery . I heard good things about this game from Rob Florence over at RPS and it did not disappoint. I love the bidding mechanic, the combat moves fast enough to keep things interesting, and the intrigue deck made for all kinds of fun shenanigans. Of this lot, this one would be the one I’d be most eager to play again.

More boardgame plays!

Finally got a play of 7 Wonders and while I like the card drafting, it’s a shame that you’re basically only interacting to the people left and right of you. I could see this game being great with three to four players, but we had a full seven and it felt like a clustercuss at certain points.

My family loves Machi Koro so when my mom saw a new edition at Target, she had to get it. Bright Lights, Bright City does fix the core problem of cards coming out that no one wants to buy/ought to buy by having three different piles of cards. I still find the whole dice element of it rather pedantic, but it’s a fun enough way to pass the time with family. The new Moon Tower does give you a bit more dice control, so that’s a nice addition.

Sons of Anarchy: Men of Mayhem was damn fun. I’m generally not one to get too attached to theme, but when I got into a feud with another player, we both role-played the heck out of our rivalry, making brash choices that we felt would fit the mentality of a biker gang out for blood. We both basically tanked doing this, but it was way too much fun that I could not have cared less. I wish the mechanics were a bit more robust, but I liked it more than I expected I would.

Sheriff of Nottingham is something I wanted to get to play with my family and it was a hit. My Dad loves bluffing and everyone else quickly got in on it. My sister just flagrantly shoved contraband into her pack and moved merch like a madwoman. My brother ended up winning because of all those apples. And no, he did not say “how do you like dem apples.” Missed opportunity.

I recently bought Inis and I’m itching to play it. We played a couple of rounds with my boardgame group before we had to leave, but it already shows a lot of promise. The variability of the board and the momentum of the game excites me as it has a lot of what I want out of area control without a lot of the tedium of rolling dice or amassing tons of dudes to unleash across the board. Super eager to try this one out this week if possible.

Hey all! Did you all like Mice & Mystics? I thought it was a pretty cool light dungeon crawler that seemed like a really good gateway game. Well now the designer of Mice and Mystics is releasing another game in a similar vein, but instead of playing anthropomorphic mice, you play stuffed animals protecting a girl from nightmares. It looks pretty cool, What do you all think?

After a bit of a break from board games to play Magic I’m sort of getting back into them? Trying to play more games, more so than buy games, play em once and move on.

I think part of what burned me out on boardgames was Pandemic Legacy, actually. It’s a FANTASTIC game and an awesome unique experience, but playing the same game 12+ times in a row (the campaign is at least 12 games, assuming you win every time :stuck_out_tongue: ) left my playgroup a little exhausted.

Recently though, I’ve been trying to play more board games. Really big fan of Lords of Waterdeep. It feels like the perfect level of complexity for me and my group. On the surface it’s relatively straight forward. Place a dude at a place and get supplies to complete quests, but there’s so much exciting nuance to it. Everyone has a different secret goal. Only one person can do a specific thing per round, and so on. The ordering of moves and the ability to try to hinder other players progress makes every action you take exciting. Despite all this it doesn’t feel bogged down and slow. Also, the box insert is probably the best insert of any board game ever. It’s absolute perfection. Every piece has an spot and it all makes sense, and no baggies! I really wish more board games would focus on a nice insert for pieces.

Some friends from out of town came to visit and we bought a new game to try out as well. Welcome to the Dungeon. It’s mentioned in this thread before, but it really is an awesome little game. It was $15 CAD at my local shop, so affordable. Very quick to learn (Somewhere between Sushi Go and Love Letter in terms of how quickly one can pick it up). The way it works is a ton of fun too. Everyone is takes turn drawing monsters off a stack of cards and can either add it to the dungeon that one player will have to defeat, OR keep it out of the dungeon but remove an equipment card from whoever is to take on the dungeon. The problem is you don’t decide when you want to take on the dungeon. Everyone else has to “Pass”. So it’s a delicate bluffing game to either make the dungeon too difficult for someone else, or appear to be too difficult so your opponents “Pass” and you take it on. If you actually make it too difficult, though, you will quickly be handed an impossible dungeon. My friend bought it, but I want to pick it up for lunch time games at work.

I’m thinking the small/quick/cheap games are becoming my favourite card/board games. Stuff like Love Letter, Sushi Go, Spy Fall, Welcome to the Dungeon etc.

Try Jaipur if you like small, quick games. Only 2 player but really good fun.

2 players is great, my fiancee and I are always looking for games to play with one another. While a lot of games support 2 players, my least favourite thing is when 2 player mode is 3 players and one hand is a dummy hand (Eg. Sushi Go’s 2 player rules). Will definitely check it out!

Yeah, you want to be focusing on your own game, not looking after a nonexistent player! Definitely got more 2p suggestions too. Patchwork is a brilliant game about creating a patchwork quilt, tetris style pieces on a square board. Fungi is a relaxing set collection game about picking and cooking mushrooms from a forest. For something a bit different The Ravens of Thri Sahashri is a beautiful little co-op game where one player is a girl who lost her memory and another is a detective trying to help her restore it.

I haven’t seen anyone mention Carcassonne yet - perennial favourite of mine. Super simple to grasp, so the strategy kicks in very quickly.

Currently also having fun with Dungeon Roll - lightweight dungeon hack dice game.

Hi everyone, I’m new here, great to see a boardgame thread. My friends and I have been gathering for years about once a week to play together. Our current favorite is Terraforming Mars, a board game in which you aim to increase oxygen, water and heat on Mars as a corporation by gathering resources and playing cards from a deck of 200+ unique cards.

It’s been really addictive in our group especially playing the draft mechanic and advanced corporations. Anyone here play it?

I picked up the expansion to Welcome to the Dungeon months ago and still haven’t gotten it to the table for some reason.

Small box games are some of my favorites. I recently picked up How to Rob a Bank and Shifty Eyed Spies, which are both very good and small. One Deck Dungeon, Age of War, Biblios, Rock Paper Wizard, Star Realms, Flash Duel, The Grizzled, Hey That’s My Fish!, Space Hulk: Death Angel… I love these just as much as the big box experiences, and they’re often way easier to get to the table.

A big pet peeve of mine is an unjustifiably large box for just a deck of cards. Scott Pilgrim’s Precious Little Card Game is a recent offender.

My take on that is the plan for expansions to leave space to fit them in but often the games aren’t popular enough for the extra investment.

I just picked up Red Scare because I’m always up for hidden identity games with unique gimmicks.
The gimmick of this one? Decoder glasses! So everyone playing can only see half of each card and you need to lie to each other about its contents to try and trick people into doing things. It seems neat, hoping to get it tot he table some point soon.

For some games that’s definitely the case (Doomtown: Reloaded comes to mind), but sometimes it isn’t. SPPLCG’s insert doesn’t actually leave much empty space. It’s just an unnecessarily big box.

I love Dominion and want to pick it up, as I no longer associate with the friend who had Dominion. The boxes are so huge and I’d want a few expansions that I haven’t bothered :unamused:.

I hate needlessly giant boxes. I get it’s a marketing thing. Giant games have a wow factor on the shelf but… Once I get it home it’s just a nuisance.

I managed to fit Dominion and every expansion in the main game box sleeved and stacked. It is hugely heavy though :sweat_smile:

Sometimes it’s a weird pursuit of making the game box the same size as others - there’s a few standard sizes that are really nice to stack and organize near each other, but for every 4 games that pick the right size there’s one that clearly went “Well we only have 50 cards and a small board, but all our other games are this big so we might as well!”

Oh man, 2017 is the year that I got bit hard by the board game bug. Especially so in the last few months. Put together a weekly game night with some friends, and now I’m trying to put a once a month slightly bigger one together to get those 6 or more player games out there. I’d say the big hits at our table right now are Legendary: Marvel, Pandemic: Legacy, Not Alone, Dead of Winter and Five Minute Dungeon. To people who like quick games, definitely check out Not Alone and Five Minute Dungeon. Very quick, simple but fun games. I can see Five Minute Dungeon eventually outwearing it’s welcome (though for right now its TONS of fun), but Not Alone seems like something that will always see play to me.