Cardboard & Coins - the modern board game thread

While there appears to be a standard my boardgame shelf still looks like a Tetris board. Everything every which way. I do appreciate that most games don’t use the awful super thin and wide box that older games used to… I have an old copy of risk that’s like 2 feet wide an inch thick and half a foot deep. Very annoying to store.

Also… It’s risk,I should just toss it. :upside_down_face:

Loving the new CMON reprint of Modern Art. Cards look great and the auctions are super fun and dynamic. It’s been a huge hit with everyone I’ve tried it with, and most people don’t believe me when I tell them it’s from 1992!

It’s my birthday, so I bought a couple games to play with the fiancee at lunch and in the evenings.

Jaipur - Lot of fun. Interesting and strategic. Every move feels like it matters. Gonna take a few more plays to get some of the nuance down. Our first game was decided by 2 points.

Patchwork - LOVED it. Tons of fun. I think this might be my favourite game for 2 people.

If you liked Patchwork, check out Cottage Garden. It’s from the same designer (Uwe Rosenberg), and has roughly the same mechanics. You’ve got the grid you’re trying to fill with weird-shaped pieces and a ring of them in the middle of the table.

It adds a board in the middle with a grid of choices, and you only have access to certain pieces at any given time. Instead of spending the whole game filling one big grid, you’re filling two smaller grids while trying to leave certain spaces with pots and cloches uncovered - that’s how you score points.

The scoring is slightly more complicated - you’re moving individual markers up a track that has a distinct endpoint, so you can sometimes be in a position where you’re “overspending”. Part of the fun becomes figuring out how to maximize which markers you move.

Unlike Patchwork, it’s 2-4 players, but the game is super playable with 2 and basically feels like a chunkier version of Patchwork. It doesn’t take that much longer to play, either.

I’m not sure how heavy y’all get with board games, but Rosenberg also made A Feast For Odin, which is a big gigantic hour-plus worker placement game based primarily around that “fit things onto a grid” mechanic. My understanding from an interview I can’t find right now is that he was developing Feast and loved that grid mechanic so much that he spun it into the other two games.

Normally I’d agree, and in this instance I do, but if you get the chance to play Risk Legacy, i’d recommend that, it’s a huge shake up on the risk formula but you need a steady crew to pla the first dozen games or so.y

So I was super excited to finally get my hands on Scott Pilgrim’s Precious Little Card Game, and I gotta say, it’s a huge bummer! It has lots of little thematic gimmicks that sound neat but just don’t come together into a game that flows well or is fun to play. It’s a deck building game with double sided cards, and each player’s turn is basically two turns, where multiple times per turn players will have to make decisions about what goes into the buying row, flipping over the cards to read both sides and decide what benefits them most. Each turn takes forever and there’s zero player interaction. It’s lame with two players, and totally unbearable with four.

It kills me to say this because I love the IP, but do not waste your money on this game.

The recently released Risk Europe is apparently very good. Also Star Wars Risk, which is Risk in branding only.

If I get the chance I’ll try them :smile: Risk is generally speaking too light for my group though, we only play Risk Legacy because of the changing state nature of the game makes it more interesting.

I just started playing Pocket Mars. There’s a whole lot more game in it than the tiny box would suggest, and the solo mode has a neat AI engine that I can’t manage to beat! Another solid Geekmarket buy.

Risk Legacy is cool. I’ve played a game on an office copy (and then got let go… :frowning: ) and there’s a lot of nice tweaks to shorten the games. The legacy stuff is actually just icing on the cake. Is there a copy of risk with legacy rules but not permanent board changes?

EDIT: I just remembered, I own Small World. And that sort-of fills the “Risk-but-good” niche in my collection :slight_smile:

Games like Blood Rage, Inis and Kemet all scratch that itch for me.

Small World is also a solid title, but I haven’t gotten as many plays with it.

Also War of the Ring, but that’s only two players.

My favorite game I played this year was Codex. Basically tries to recreate the feel of an RTS video game within a turn based Magic-y card game. Models tech trees and economy development, and even Micro skills.

It’s definitely only for people who are deep into games (and video games) but YO DANG is it good. Every match I played felt balanced and interesting, game supports tons of different strategies, art and flavor are fun, spell book tech tree concept is cool.

I couldn’t say, I literally played base Risk as a teenager and Risk Legacy now ha ha. It’s not really my type of game style but I do like the permanent board state changes variable a lot.

The main recommendations I see for “Risk but good” are Risk Europe and Nexus Ops. Unfortunately I haven’t personally played either. Kemet is great, but not quite as accessible and wild to be a true “just play this instead.”

Played Mansions of Madness for the first time and boy was it a lot of fun. The story and atmosphere are great and the mechanics work pretty well. I’m not up enough on Lovecraft lore to know if the game is true to the spirit of Lovecraft, but it worked well as a piece of horror.

Only thing that seems disappointing is that there aren’t many scenarios. Now, given how rarely my group has played a game of this size over a 3 times, maybe they aimed for quality over quantity and I hear the app makes the missions more replayable, but still, that seems rather small proposition given how much stuff is in this game.

I’m curious to see how it compares to Arkham/Eldritch Horror as I haven’t had a chance to play either.

Blood Rage is currently my favorite board game of all time, to be honest. It’s easy to teach, hard to master, and a lot of fun.

Any time anyone complains about Loki cards it’s easy to remind them “hey, you could have taken that during the draft, just like I could have, but we let player X get them all and now we need to MURDER THEIR FACE.”

Fantasy Flight has really doubled down on somewhat slight base game boxes with lots of expansion potential. There are expansion components and new scenarios for Mansions of Madness that are purchasable through the app. If you like the game, there is more to do than just the included scenarios, but you’re going to have to pay up.

My experience with Arkham Horror was fairly miserable. In order to have a good time, you’re going have to have a friend that has played enough to know all the rules and interactions off the top of their head, otherwise it’s a slog. If you don’t have that friend, for the sake of everyone involved, play multiple solo games before breaking it out with friends so that you can be that guy for your group.

Eldritch Horror is much more streamlined than Arkham Horror so you won’t need to be checking rules nearly as much, but still quite long for the little actual decision making that goes on during each player’s turn. It was my favorite before MoM 2nd edition came along.

If you like the Arkham universe but MoM sessions are a bit too long, I might suggest the Arkham Horror card game. It’s co-op rather than competitive, and still plays out like a story-based dungeon crawl with cards rather than a big board and minis. Again, the base game is fairly slight and FFG hopes you’ll want to buy expansions, but there are multiple characters and branching paths in the included scenarios, so there’s still a decent bit of replay value.

Yea, my friend who owned it also owns Eldritch/Arkham Horror and he says if we play one of those, it will be Eldritch because of the streamlined rules.

He also got the Arkham Horror card game which he said didn’t do much for him but I might borrow it from him at some point.

Been playing Mysterium lately which I really enjoy although new players often seem kind of divided on it. Feels like the abstract gameplay is a kind of love/hate situation although I personally love it. The art is not surprisingly spectacular and is really cool as the driving force behind the game. (Also I like playing as the ghost and messing people around).

Also been playing Crows Overkill which is a simple card game from a Japanese designer about killing birds so you can stay in the red light district longer. It’s based off this old poem and is kind of abstract in concept but the gameplay is easy to pick up and super fun. Also the art drew me to this one as well because it’s super nice (lots of cool bird drawings).

Played Forbidden desert with some friends and beat it the second time through. Really like the shifting board mechanic and the way it works against you. Feel like it could get old after a few more games but for now am looking forward to trying it on higher difficulties!

I played Mysterium for the second time yesterday, and I’m still really liking it. I think it might completely replace Dixit for me, though I haven’t played as the Ghost yet. I need to see if I can get it to the table more.

I also got a few games of Hanabi in. I forgot how much I like that game, though it’s better if you can play with the same people, or at least experienced people that use the same conventions. It’s a bit of a pain to explain various conventions to new players without overwhelming them.

A lot of my friends seem to really like Galaxy Trucker and Castles of Mad King Ludwig, so I’ve been playing those a lot. I really enjoy both of them, but I wish I could get some heavier games to the table more often.

I’m a Euro gamer first and foremost, but I love Mysterium. You’re right though, it can be very polarizing; some players just don’t like anything that abstract.

I’ve also picked up Photosynthesis and it is so gorgeous. Just got one play at 2P but I really enjoyed it. I was surprised how crowded the board got even at this low player count.