'Cities: Skylines' Doesn't Confront Inherent Ugliness of its Latest DLC

Cities: Skylines never makes things hard on you. It waits for you to do that to yourself, for you to get a newer, higher-level toy for your urban planning sandbox and have a stroke of misbegotten genius. Adequacy is easy in Skylines but perfection, whatever that means to you, is an ever-receding mirage. Pursuing it is the real challenge, and I’ll chase it for as long as I keep dreaming up new ways to define what perfection means to me. Someday, perhaps, nobody will be left waiting at a bus stop, everyone will find a great home in an ideal neighborhood near their job, and every street light and factory will draw its power from the clean air and clean water.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/wj9mk9/cities-skylines-doesnt-confront-inherent-ugliness-of-its-latest-dlc

Yet Industries never satisfies my inner Gilded Age tycoon, either.

Now this is how you can tell it’s a Rob Zacny article.

Life, life is endless lorries driving unrealistic paths between bits of what would be for any reasonable pipeline something often serviced by a literal pipeline (or maybe trains carrying massive loads at relatively low urgency).

I’m amazed that over three years after releasing this game at a budget price and to great acclaim, Paradox can’t let go of the DLC plans that never feel fully realised so that they might actually let everyone work on making a proper sequel (that rebuilds the systems from the ground up). Maybe putting out over £100 of DLC for a £25 game is just too profitable to even think about a rapid sequel (that strategy would only generate a second £25 game in the 2-3 years of development time where all this DLC has been crafted - even if it attracted four times as many people to buy it vs DLC, you’d still make the same).