Coding my own video game

Hello everyone. I feel huge passion towards gaming, but being a long time gamer I’ve started feeling as if my passion has long time ago crossed what games have to offer. Im playing for like my whole life (for good or for bad) and I dont know how people can be enertained by what’s currently in Steam and similar places. Maybe its because Im playing games for such a long time.

Since few years ago I’ve started thinking about making my own game and even used eclipse engine and the like (they were cool indeed but only thing i know how to do is how to make map with one of the tools that was attached). Perhaps these things are great but I failed to make a game with them in the end.

I know some coding, but only simple things and very basics. So heres my question to you guys, does anyone know how to code my own game for PC? Preferably 3D game (i just hope advanced math isnt needed). Im total beginner so if anyone here knows how to start then id appreciate if he shared.

If you want to make a 3D game, Unity’s probably the most used game engine for that. They have some pretty good tutorials for how to use it also: https://learn.unity.com

They have a course for how to code in Unity here. I haven’t used it but just taking a glance at it it seems like a decent place to start.

There’s also a pretty good game development thread from a couple of years ago which in the first post lists a ton of game development tools:

So, my advice is to look at something like Unity too. You have a bunch of options for scripting, from simpler languages up to C#, and there’s plenty of basic projects to build on if you aren’t confident starting from scratch

I also agree with Unity. There are a ton of very good video tutorials, and lots of good free to cheap assets for common tasks.

Don’t worry too much about the math side. You’ll end up picking up the basics of 3d coordinate systems and matrix multiplication as you experiment with the tools that exist and you’ll be able to do a lot with just that.

Also if you’re looking for an alternative to Unity, I haven’t used it and there’s not as much documentation and tutorial stuff for it but I’ve heard that Godot is pretty good: https://godotengine.org/

There’s also Unreal Engine 4, but I have zero experience with that and have no idea about how difficult it is to get into.

I’m gonna diverge and say that I personally prefer Unreal. I don’t know any programming at all and I’m very nearly done my first basic game using their blueprints. I’ve worked in the game industry for years and years, but this’ll be the first thing I develop from beginning to end on my own.
Most everyone I’ve talked to who have no or limited coding experience have found Unity to be frustrating. I can’t speak for that personally though. But I’ve found Unreal to be what I was looking for. (Plus I have some history with it)

My biggest suggestion in this process is don’t make your dream game first. Your first game should be pretty simple with a few key features. Maybe some of them are related to your big idea in one form or another, but don’t go out with the plan to make a big thing right away. You’ll learn a lot through that process and when you get started on your next thing you’ll be way more prepared.

The honest truth is that game development is really tricky and things probably won’t work as you expect right off the bat. Be prepared to change design or functionality if things aren’t panning out. No game ever turns out exactly as they planned. At least none I’ve ever worked on.

4 Likes

Wanna back up the Unity mentions here. I learned Unity in college with a class that was basically watching the unity roll-a-ball, survival shooter, and their other videos. They have a lot of useful informative videos under the course section of their website.

However, even if you don’t know how to code that is fine. You might benefit from checking out Zoe Quinn’s sorting hat website, where you click through some prompts about the type of game you’d like to make and it’ll give you some engine recommendations.

Also, some game engines come with a way to code using “visual scripting.” Several different engines have this already in place, on some it costs a bit extra, and many don’t have anything like this at all. It should be easier if you don’t know how to code. And even if you do, it should be a bit simpler to begin with if you’re feeling intimidated.

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

I need to look at Unreal again. The reputation it used to have was pretty bad in terms of what to took to get started.

Yeah, the last time I looked at Unreal versus Unity, Unreal was much worse. If its improved this much, then I might check it out again!

WRT Unreal’s usability, I can only speak for my own experience. I chose Unreal because I have some history using it so I already had a bit of base knowledge to get started.
Granted, my previous experience with it was with a much MUCH older version of the engine, to the point where my knowledge wasn’t that useful.

I didn’t even touch any other game engine so I can’t speak for the strengths/weaknesses of either. But I have found Unreal to be versatile and while initially confusing I’m now in a place where I can make things work like I want with only a bit of fumbling about.

The people I work with every day who use Unreal seem somewhat ambivalent about it, and some even wish we used Unity instead. But that could just be a “grass is greener” kind of thing, and who knows how things would have gone if we used Unity from the beginning?

In the end it’s just a tool, and what you get out of it depends on how you use it.

1 Like

My advice for you is to learn Unity which is best game engine. The reasons why I think its best is because its most popular, its one of easiest engines, and its not limiting like GameMaker for example. Many great games were made in it like Rust. My biggest advice would be to read a lot online and search for info on your own. And also use free tutorials instead of paid because there are plenty, like this one if you want to make (3D RPG).

I’m going to back Unreal as well. The blueprint system is amazing and with a bit of C++ knowledge you can expand on that very nicely. Epic also goes far beyond what I’ve seen any other engine development company do in terms of community support. I just really like that a huge company like Epic is willing to put out videos talking about some cool new add-on someone made or an upcoming game. They also seem really committed to the idea of open source but in a way that is profitable and I can respect that because that’s about as good as we’re going to get in this industry right now.

As an aside I personally find the way in which Unity tends to be non backwards compatible with almost every update changing the syntax in some way incredibly frustrating.

Also if you don’t care about it not being stand alone Gmod’s game mode system isn’t bad and it’s great for rapid prototyping if you can get past the ancient method of importing assets. Wouldn’t recommend normal Source though.

1 Like