Come For the Animorphs Discussion, Stay for the Laptop Story

With much of the Waypoint crew out today, we have an extra special bonus episode of Waypoint Radio for you! We've compiled some of the best bits of Hot Mic Mornings: our new morning talk show where we discuss everything from snackfoods to Animorphs to... laptop stories, and wrapped it up for a holiday podcast episode. We'll be back Monday for your regularly scheduled Waypoint Radio!

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/d3eg9a/waypoint-radio-hot-mic-animorphs-lays

HMM - Hot Mic Mornings

Yoooo that Animorphs discussion was fascinating. I’m definitely gonna find some of Applegate’s later books and dive in.

I love how she dressed down her fandom by making them confront the actual themes of her books.

I’m 21 and I somehow managed to make it through school without knowing exactly what is scene culture, or what screamo or metalcore sound like beyond “Someone showed me some and I didn’t like it.”

I also had a punk punk phase instead of a pop punk phase and that’s 10 times more obnoxious. I used to pick fights on pop-punk bands MySpace and Facebook pages in my spare time. Still love the music but glad I grew out of that attitude and kinda upset that I still don’t like most pop-punk or third-wave ska bcuz it makes me look like That Person.

I’m in my 30s and definitely went through an emo phase back in late high school/early university days. Although I don’t think the ‘scene’ proper really existed then, at least not here in Aus. There was no sweeping fringes and eye makeup. We were skater kids into punk and hardcore and got into the emo bands that grew out of it. Bands like Taking Back Sunday, Thursday, Thrice, The Used, Dashboard Confessional. I’ve long since moved on to listen to mostly hip hop and rnb but still found myself able sing every word of The Used track on the podcast.

A close friend of mine stayed into emo and eventually started his own band. They’ve had some mild success here in Melbourne and play some decent sized shows. It’s a trip to go along to shows and see teenagers singing along to lyrics about girls we knew and heartbreaks that occurred 10+ years ago. We’re all long past that, married and starting families but it makes me smile thinking about being that teen in the front row myself. Even had some young fans complaining about the ‘weird old guys up the back’ on the bands Facebook page after a recent show!