Cool Ghosts: a very good, very weird games crit show

Cool Ghosts has been around for a while making some very good videos about games, but after a hiatus they seem to have reinvented themselves as an anthology of games criticism strung together with a bunch of surrealist silliness. I thought their first episode was a lot of fun.

8 Likes

I’m a big fan of Cool Ghosts. Matt Lees and Quentin Smith have very similar tastes to my own so I generally enjoy their takes on games. Plus, they’ve got a great sense of humor.

1 Like

While this video was a little too surreal for my sense of humour, I strongly recommend their Best Game ever video series, and the now retired Daft Souls podcast. It may be out of date, but there’s some great stuff there for waypoint radio listeners. Highlights are the episodes on Inside, VR, and the last one, on falling out of love with games, and in love with Interactive Theatre

1 Like

The vibe of the interludes reminds me of a mix of Brass Eye and Snuff Box, and the games criticism is :kissing_heart::ok_hand:

Got me to remember that I need to spend more time with Torment: Tides of Numenera as a bonus.

1 Like

This is real good! And Consolevania just wrapped up the first season of their revived show, so the timing couldn’t be better. Slightly less on the Vic and Bob side of things but still plenty odd, plus those two have some of the best insight British games crit has to offer along with being funny af.

Matt and Quinns are brill at what they do, a great balance of pure positivity and insightful analysis with fantastic comedy framing. There’s more of the same over at Shut Up and Sit Down, which is the same kind of deal as Cool Ghosts but for board games, with a much larger backlog of content plus a few other equally brill regulars on both video and writing staff.

Also Matt’s on a comedy podcast called Regular Features which plays host to an extremely wide range of comedy through it’s 5 hosts. Probably evidenced best in their most recent Live Show.

2 Likes

There’s also VideoGaiden for something a bit similar: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRKIDVKqWyj2UrDBXLaCFQ3yDRNf_CYsK

Already a fan, it’s the same guys/format as Consolevania!

Episode 3 has finally arrived! If you are reading this thread and haven’t yet checked out this strange bit of goodness I implore you to watch the first episode.

If you need more of a sell: its a Mr. Show-esque, surrealist comedy and games crit series made by two charming British guys. The episodes are highly un-topical deep dives into the design and themes of games that you have probably played, but also games you probably have never heard of. Even the kind of crap games they cover almost always have something interesting to discuss and worth pondering. All of it is strung together by bizarre non-sequiturs and legitimately funny bits through the framing device of them being dead and passing the time in some kind of mundane purgatory.

9 Likes

I support Cool Ghosts and Consolevania on Patreon. I’m a huge fan of the way they both talk about games and the way they wrap them up in this irreverent tone that kind of makes all other ‘games media’ look dumb and try-hard.

Cool Ghosts have introduced me to so many games I probably wouldn’t have tried like Jalopy and The Norwood Suite. Their Subnautica video introduced me to the game about 3 years ago and I think it may be one of my favourite games from the last 10 years.

1 Like

i kinda love that, for a brief moment, i thought Wilmot’s Warehouse was something CG came up with as a parody of British games in the 80’s. “Yeah, you’re a square with a face on it called Wilmot and you have to push boxes around a warehouse in order to fulfill increasingly demanding orders.” i’d be surprised if there isn’t a special edition released on cassette.

it also worth checking out WW’s twitter, btw:

4 Likes

I was so disappointed when I found out that the full Wilmot’s Warehouse isn’t out yet, and only has a generic “2019” release date. I wanted to make problems for myself! Also in video games!

1 Like

Watched the first couple of episodes and really enjoyed it! Hope to find time for more soon. Thanks for the recommendation!

2 Likes

If you’re referring to the “episodes” then there are only three available and have been coming at the blistering rate of one a year or so. However, a lot of their older, more focused videos are also fantastic. “Best Game Ever” is their review series and also fantastic.

2 Likes

I’m loving the new style they’ve been going for. It sucks that it takes so long for episodes to come out but if they keep nailing that quality the im cool with that.

I need that Warehouse game.

One thing I will say is that they really need to update their Patreon video. It is still stuck to what they used to do, promising a bunch of stuff that they don’t do anymore, whether they intend to go back to doing it or not it’s a bit misleading as is.

1 Like