'Crusader Kings III' Wants to Be a Medieval Soap Opera for Everyone

Normally when people talk about Crusader Kings, they talk about incest, murder and Glitterhoof the talking horse. When Paradox game director Henrik Fåhraeus described Crusader Kings III, he talked about it as a medieval soap opera, discussing its drama in the way that high schoolers talk about "drama." Crusader Kings III is all about character, he said, but a lot of those characters might fit as comfortably on the CW as they would in a Shakespeare play. It's fitting for a game that works hard to be approachable enough that new players will get to experience the unique joys of this medieval sandbox when it is released on September 1st.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/9355np/crusader-kings-iii-wants-to-be-a-medieval-soap-opera-for-everyone
3 Likes

I’m really excited about this game. I’ll still feel like a complete asshole trying to tell non-strategy gamers that I’m playing a game called “Crusader Kings”, though.

3 Likes

I’m looking forward to when the Deus Vult/Git Gud types get extremely mad about the changes in this game.

2 Likes

Hell yes, very happy to hear they’re trying to make it more accessible! I’ve been playing EU4 recently and tried Crusader Kings 2 a couple months back, but I just completely couldn’t understand the UI and had to drop it. I loved these ideas but never understood a single mechanic, so this sounds perfect. I was interested before but now I’m excited.

2 Likes

If they can create a grand strategy game with a good UI I’d be very excited. I already have a lot of hours in CKII, but it’s hard to recommend to other people without saying things like “you’ll get a handle on a bunch of the mechanics 50 hours in”.

4 Likes

I’m still learning new things about how HOI4 works with over 1000 hours of playtime, which is exciting but also not great design