Damn It Feels Good to Be a Monster in 'Carrion'

In Phobia Game Studio’s new game, Carrion, you play as a throbbing red biomass. Just a hungry maw and tentacles pulsing through the hallways of a human settlement ripping up people, solving puzzles, and collecting pieces of yourself to gain new powers. It’s a 2-D pixel art sidescroller with an emphasis on fast action and grotesque art design. Everywhere the biomass moves, it leaves a trail of itself. The red mass oozes from room to room, ripping apart anything that gets in its way.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/akz4gg/monster-horror-carrion-phobia
1 Like

Started playing this yesterday and I’ve been having a good time. I especially love the animations for the monster. They way it moves, the way bits of it just drip when I’m waiting for a hapless guard to walk under where I’m hiding. This is very close to playing as The Thing.

4 Likes

Have had my eye on this game for quite some time and picked it up a few minutes ago. At time of writing, I’m still getting used to controls on the Switch. IDK if I will ever allow the reality of my being pretty clumsy with a controller overwrite my near infinite fantasy to play a video game while lying on my bed. That said, I like the little puzzles, the visual language of the game in terms of What You Could Do Next is pretty solid, and I love playing as a funny little ooze monster that has nothing in its heart but hunger. Check back with me in like 2 days and I’ll could potentially draft a post about how the monster from Carrion represents late-stage capitalism easy, but right now this is just my small, hungry ooze monster and I love it.

4 Likes

Is it fair to call this game a Katamari-like y/n

2 Likes

Does the game end with you floating up into the air and becoming. A “meat star”?