David Cage Wants to Know What You'd Do to Fight for Your Rights

We chat with the divisive director of 'Heavy Rain' and 'Beyond: Two Souls' about his goals for the android-filled 'Detroit: Become Human.'

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/david-cage-wants-to-know-what-youd-do-to-fight-for-your-rights

Interesting interview, but I don’t think David Cage actually answers what Austin is asking in the last question. I think to him, the social background of “humans vs. androids” is more central and important to the story he wants to tell than the history race and class have in the history of the city of Detroit (it’s going to get really frustrating talking about this game and the city in the future). I only say this in the context of his earlier interview saying it’s just about “androids wanting to be free.”

Though I am glad he seemed to recognize the social impact of Jesse Williams being cast as the main leader of the androids. I think on some level he’s aware of the social and political implications that people could take out of Detroit, the game, but I really doubt he wrote and directed the story with that in mind in the first place. I’m getting some “Tommy Wiseau says the Room is a black comedy after everybody could clearly see he tried his hardest to tell a real story” type vibes from all of this.

I am very interested to see what “I didn’t want something binary” works out as in practice, particularly with Markus’ story. The way that the narrative plays out will ask questions about the way the game’s narrative speaks about achieving revolutionary change in society. If ‘violence’ works out but ‘pacifism’ doesn’t, that is going to say something. I wonder what Cage’s ‘shades of grey’ look like.