David Lynch's Feature Movies

I’ve recently been on a bit of a Lynch binge, watching all of his stuff for the first time. I watched the original Twin Peaks TV show run and, out of curiosity, found myself wanting to watch his full oeuvre. So far I’ve made my way through Eraserhead, Dune, Blue Velvet, Wild at Heart, Lost Highway and Fire Walk With Me. Aside from Dune I’ve really enjoyed all of them, probably placing Lost Highway and FWWM at the top of a ranked list.

(Since there’s already a thread for Twin Peaks Season 3, this thread is instead about his full length movies. Feel free to discuss FWWM but please keep any deeper cuts related to the show to that thread.)

Also for fun, in this Details box is a big poll to vote for your favourite movie, so vote away.

[details=Poll: What is your favourite Lynch movie?][poll type=regular public=true]

• Eraserhead
  • Elephant Man
  • Dune
  • Blue Velvet
  • Wild at Heart
  • Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
  • Lost Highway
  • The Straight Story
  • Mulholland Drive
  • Inland Empire
    [/poll][/details]

Feel free to roleplay Roger Ebert and boo David Lynch at the Cannes Film Festival here.

Keep going and see Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire. Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive are probably my favorites but they are all great. There is even a progression of ideas you can see developing through his films which I thought came to a head in Inland Empire but this new Twin Peaks seems to be even further growth.

I’ll always take some Lynch, but probably think Mulholland Drive or Inland Empire go at the very top of my list. I may not have watched Lost Highway since shortly after it came out (so would be a bit hazy about exactly where it goes on my list of favs) and have somehow missed Wild at Heart (I don’t know, really I should fix that at some point but I always seem to be busy catching up with something else) but I’m basically always up for watching any of his movies (I totally enjoy Dune, even if I’d love to see what a director’s cut of that might be).

Edit to add: I think it’s pretty cool when a director has a catalogue where there isn’t an obvious best most people will pick (the first 5 people voting in the poll all picked different movies).

Don’t have a whole lot to add to this thread, but I just came across this sweet setup at a local bookstore:

You should totally watch Wild at Heart! Laura Dern and Nic Cage are incredible in it. It’s probably also worth mentioning that there’s some heavy stuff in it that might be good to be aware of (in terms of trigger warnings), though.

I was also between Mulholland and Inland Empire for the poll. I ended up going Inland Empire because I think it’s his best, even though Mulholland Drive is definitely one of my top 2 movies of all time (IE is not the other). I think that makes sense?

I definitely agree that you should keep going with his films. I don’t know that you could say better as he’s gotten older, but he’s definitely experimented in a lot of different directions over time. All while keeping a core sensibility and fascination. And my favorites do happen to be some of his most recent.

I also just remembered the whole world of movies that exploring his work opened me up to, so I’m going to share some of them with y’all. Hope that’s not derailing or presumptuous.

[ul][li]Maya Deren is so important. “Meshes of the Afternoon” is probably her best known work. I hadn’t watched it in years and years until just now and jeez does it hold up.[/li]
[li]Luis Buñuel did some really fantastic stuff too. “Un chien andalou” is the short, but I have fond (albeit faded) memories of l’Age d’Or and The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie. [/li]
[li]Another person in that vein is Jan Švankmajer, whose Alice, Faust, and Little Otik are all incredible. He’s actually also come out of semi-retirement recently to make a new project, even.[/li]
[li]Not exactly an influence, but I also have fond memories of Song Il-gong’s Spider Forest, which I remember hearing called ‘the Korean Mulholland Drive’ way back when. Not quite up to par, I don’t think, but Lynch’s influence on others so often gets boiled down to the opening shot of Blue Velvet or the Black Lodge that seeing it more holistically done is always nice, I think?[/li][/ul]

Anyway! I get excited when people experience his films I guess. They’re pretty meaningful to me? And as much as I love Twin Peaks, it maybe never quite hit me in the same way as others.

Experimental Film Discussion/Reccomendations