'Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth' Is a 'Lodoss War' Game in Name Only

Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth is as upfront about its existence as a game can be. From the opening moments of the titular character waking up in a mysterious forest clearing set-dressed for Nicol Williamson’s pagan exasperations in Excalibur to the flimsiest of plot-threads and the way it interjects characters from the original anime property. Wonder Labyrinth is what Team Ladybug does best—draping borrowed IP over a hypercompetent metroidvania skeleton.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/jgqy7d/lodoss-war-deedlit-in-wonder-labyrinth-

Cado voice: EXCUSE ME

There was a Shin Megami Tensei Metroidvania?? And it came out in 2017?? And nobody told me??

2 Likes

I just wish it was longer. I finished it with 98% map completion in four and a half hours, which is less than i’d like for the genre.

I didn’t know anything about the anime going in, and I guess it’s not saying something great about the game when I say I still don’t know anything about the anime now. These characters pasted onto a game is exactly how I would describe it. This game would work the same with any series.

It’s pretty good! It’s got a Silhouette Mirage mechanic and is focused on the Jack Bros.

@LavenderGooms
Yeah, these developers tend to make pretty short games… On the bright side, they don’t wear out their welcome, but on the downside its always a disappointment to see them wrap up so fast! I kind of feel like the Metroidvania elements of their games is kind of incidental. I mean, yes, there’s backtracking and secrets and stuff, but the focus for me so far has been on the combat and action.