Digital Artist Tries to Sell NFTs, Argues Their Values Are Unaffected

Team Rolfes, the digital art duo behind cutting-edge visuals for artists such as Lady Gaga, is planning to make an “experimental musical physics game” according to a recent post on Twitter.  The pair, consisting of brothers Sam and Andy Rolfes, produced an eye-catching video to accompany the news, including the contentious way it’s planning to fund the project; digital concept art is being minted on the blockchain and subsequently auctioned on Zora. An NFT-funded video game? Perhaps, at least if Team Rolfes can find enough crypto-rich buyers.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/4adzqg/digital-artist-tries-to-sell-nfts-argues-their-values-are-unaffected

What I understand least about the appeal of NFTs is that, as far as I can tell, they don’t provide any copy protection or legal ownership.

7 Likes

I don’t have any evidence to back this up, but my assumption is that NFTs started as a thing crypto fans were doing amongst themselves in the hope of generating enough buzz that they could get non-crypto people to buy in, giving them the opportunity to convert their funny money to actual currency.

7 Likes

NFT’s strike me as an evolution in money laundering.

5 Likes

Most likely a mix of that and the cryptoheads who seems to believe that blockchain is the solution to every societal ill. The thing I don’t get is the suckers who are buying them. NFTs, again as far as I can tell, have no legal meaning when it comes to ownership. I could sell an NFT of one of my photos and then sell the license to it to someone else and the owner of the NFT would have no recourse. I feel like collectors would want more control than that.

2 Likes

You’re correct. Once more, I dug up this twitter thread from a few days ago as a case study. This guy seems just ridiculously naive. Basically someone hacked and stole his NFTs and he was shocked that the exchange wouldn’t do anything about it.

Viewed through a physical collector lens, this doesn’t seem much different. Like with baseball cards, I can basically pull up a copy online of any card regardless of value. The player photo is the same, the listed stats are the same, it’s the same experience as pulling one out of a Topps pack. So why is a Honus Wagner card selling for money I could live off of for the rest of my life?

Point is, whether it’s physical or digital collecting, it’s all irrational speculation that continues to demonstrate how thoroughly capitalism has divorced currency from any tangible value.

5 Likes

I believe the same thing has happened with TF2, Dota2, and CSGO items over the years. Every single one of them has an associated ID you can look up and for awhile there was even a trend of getting popular esports players and personalities to “sign” an item by having you trade it to them where they would then use a name tag or whatever to sign it with their name.

1 Like

I showed this thread to a friend who does a lot of digital art. They were rightly horrified by the prospect of not being able to have back ups of their work. Someone stealing all of their work would be annoying and difficult but it would not be a catastrophe the way it would if they had made their work into NFTs.

@Navster
I should no longer be shocked by capitalism’s ability to turn things into financial instruments. This one is just so self-evidently absurd to me.

2 Likes

Shout out to artists on Instagram who make it easy for me to unfollow them by announcing NFT participation.

3 Likes

Didn’t see a dedicated thread about the idiocy of NFTs so I’m gonna necro this one.

The result of this is NFT investors insisting that they’re not mad

THANK YOU GAULT. THIS IS DELIGHTFUL.

6 Likes