Discord is looking for a buyer, potentially Microsoft

It was honestly inevitable that someone was going to buy Discord seeing as Discord itself is not profitable no mater how you slice it. Their store front was short lived and never given the focus it should have been. The Nitro system seems more like a way to donate to the platform then something you would actually want to spend money on. And for some reason Discord never spun off a business focused version no mater how many times people told them “You know if you just reskinned this and made it look business safe you could easily sell this”.

Anyway I wonder what this means for Xbox Live. Does Live just get rolled into Discord seeing as it’s arguably the better platform? Does Microsoft just full up integrate Discord into Xbox? Does Gamepass now just absorb Nitro to given even more incentive? Is this how Microsoft gets back into the live streaming space? Will Discord get Power Apps integration so you can display your PowerBi graphs of your CSGO match history???

Edit: Just to add, if Discord could get the Teams tabs feature that would be really nice. Probably my favorite part of Teams is just having things like pinned to a channel in the form of a tab like “Hey these are the groups webpage bookmarks” and simple wiki’s. Imagine just having a easy wiki for you and your friends to share for a new game where you want to discover the information together and not just go looking it up in the mega wikis that contain all the spoilers 5 minutes after launch. Also jokes aside Power Apps is incredibly intuitive and would make bot writing very easy for anyone.

2 Likes

The main thing that MS gets out of buying discord is access to a lot of pretty good gaming communities. They might also learn how to make Teams’s team pages less dumb (but I find Discord is also worse than Slack in this area, so maybe not?). I don’t know how Discord particularly improves by being owned by Microsoft. Maybe some better integration on the Xbox? There’s something to be said for community first streaming (as opposed to streaming being used as a way to build communities) so maybe MS Research + Discord collabs could create some cool stuff in that space.

And then there’s a part of me that would love to go wild with Discord + Azure ML Studio integration.

But none of that is particularly compelling except as a way to raise MS’s “We’re not the worst of the corporations anymore” profile similar to what they’ve been doing with github.

1 Like

With the rise of cross play games, I feel like I have heard a lot of console people wish for a Discord app on ps4/5 and Xbox, since many communities use that anyways. I am in an Xbox Destiny clan, but also play a lot of games on PC and I have found that Xbox live voice chat on PC/mobile is not at all reliable. I am assuming MS decided it would be easier to make a Discord app for Xbox than to try to convince everyone to use xbox live vc on PC.

Side note: I’m absolutely amazed at how thoroughly MS destroyed Skype after they acquired it. Skype used to be the biggest videocalling application, but after the acquisition I remember it immediately became buggier, more annoying, and harder to use. I really hope that doesn’t happen to Discord because it’s a very useful tool.

1 Like

And of course gamers are already out there crying about the idea that Microsoft might come in and enforce actual rules against racist language and shut down servers that are alt right troll havens lmao

4 Likes

The big difference between discord and Skype is that Skype always fucking sucked. So I’m not terribly worried.

1 Like

Undeniably a self-centred way to look at this, but I’d certainly be happy if all the Discord Nitro stuff were to be rolled into my GamePass subscription. I’m nearly done with my three months of free Nitro, and I just don’t want to part with all these animated Blob emoji.

118ddd24244dc204c03c882e7388cb59-2

6 Likes

The cutest emoji, look at that champ groove!

2 Likes

I’m not thrilled about even more corporate consolidation. And also, doesn’t Microsoft already have Teams? Isn’t that just eating a direct competitor? Not that America really pays attention to anti-trust laws.

1 Like

Can we go back to IRC yet?

2 Likes

Teams is similar but not the same product as Discord or target audience. Teams is very much focused on capital B business and how everything under the Microsoft corporate side ties into it along with every other third party business service you can think of. It’s got some cool features like being able to easily create automated events/bots and the aforementioned tabs but I would never in a million years use it as my primary hey lets hang out and chat after work type platform. Audio/video isn’t as good (IMO) and it really isn’t setup for just having a lot of individuals hanging out in one place. It’s like Slack but Microsoft.

2 Likes

Some of us didn’t leave…

Oh, see, I see Discord as my non-work Slack.

Could we maybe change the title of this thread? It’s a bit misleading. Per the original reporting via Bloomberg, MS and Discord are in talks about it, but no deal is imminent. Another source said that it is more likely that Discord tries to go public instead (which has it’s own issues with needing to answer to shareholders to keep generating higher profits). Just…don’t think we want to be spreading panic or misinformation on something that might not even happen.

6 Likes

Good call, updated the thread title.

4 Likes

The Mixer/Beam.io stuff is still too fresh in my mind to ever feel good about MS potentially buying Discord (even outside of consolidation being bad in general.)

It’s obv a very different situation, Discord is already huge whereas Beam was pretty new and finding its footing still but…Idunno.

1 Like

I think it’s more than fair to be skeptical of any acquisition MS makes…their track record definitely is far from flawless. I don’t think Beam/Mixer is necessarily the best comparison - as you noted, Beam wasn’t established at all - really, they purchased it for their underlying low-latency tech, and essentially tried to build a Twitch competitor from scratch when Twitch was already fully entrenched. Discord is like…the most widely prevalent gaming community/communication platform out there.

You’d really just have to hope they don’t pull a Skype with it - where it immediately stops working as well as it did prior to acquisition. Really, the best case scenario is if it’s like GitHub, and they more or less just let them keep doing what they’re doing, or maybe better integrate Discord into the Xbox client to more easily facilitate cross-platform chat and grouping. And that could be cool! But…there’s a lot of other outcomes that are not as great.

1 Like

I don’t know if Discord is profitable or not, but the problem at really big corporations is that you have a lot of managerial/executive types tripping over each other to get their fingerprints on successful things to try and get a share of that success. Sometimes that doesn’t happen, but more often than not it does (e.g. EA Vancouver being turned into a Respawn satellite focused exclusively on Apex, Vince Zampella being pushed into more of a Patrick Soderlund role despite being president of Respawn, yes I’m picking on EA).