Discord's Getting a Store!

Alongside the upgraded Nitro, we’ll be launching a curated game store experience similar to one of those cozy neighborhood book shops with recommendations about the hottest and newest games from us to you.

They will also be funding indie games that will appear on their store first as timed exclusives

For our store, we’re excited to announce we’ll be supporting “First on Discord” titles — indie games that we’ve helped bring to life. Supporting indie games pushes the boundary of creative game design and is important to innovation and the long term health of the industry. Of course, we think the games are really cool too!

To be very clear, First on Discord games are temporarily exclusive. They’re literally first on Discord — usually 90 days and then the developers can sell anywhere else they want. This beta won’t have any First on Discord titles, but we’ll be showing off some soon!

You will also be able to launch every single game/program from Discord itself similar to Playnite

One more surprise for today! We know it’s frustrating to have a bunch of game launchers, so we’ll be adding a Universal Library tab to the Discord home screen as well.

If you want, Discord can scan your computer for games. Then, you’ll be able to launch any of your games through Discord even if they require another launcher (Discord will boot the other launcher and game). This way, you don’t have to worry about which game boots from where!

They’ve already replaced Steam chat for gamers and now they are looking to do it for game selling and luanching as well and I could not be happier!

get rid of the loading screen jokes and you’ve got yourself a deal

What’s their cut?

It’ll probably be 30%, which is the so-called “standard” but is actually way too much these days.

This is pretty cool. Beyond Discord’s “epic 1337 bro” shtick it’s an extremely responsive little app and one that I use to communicate with pretty much…everyone, now, althrough I’m not tied down to any servers at all, at the moment.

I would use it if I played games on my PC if it were as responsive as everything else Discord has worked on.

Isn’t this subscription service only or did I hear wrong?

Because if its subscription only, I’m not interested.

Edit 8.9.2018 1:09 PM PDT: To be clear, if you’re in the beta and you subscribe to Nitro, you’ll get access to all Nitro games (which is a different selection of games than what’s available in the Store). It’s kinda like Netflix for games.

So in order to make Nitro more enticing if you subscribe you get access to a subset of games similar to Humble’s monthly bundle. The store will be separate.

Okay, that’s way better. Finally, more competition with Steam.

They haven’t said yet but I am almost willing to bet that they take a much lower cut just to get Indies to switch distribution. Keep in mind Discord was valued at ~$1.65 billion earlier this year and has still got a ton of venture capital, they can probably afford to take an initial loss while they build up.

I don’t know about other indie developers but if Discord came to me and said “Hey we want you to sell on the fastest growing chat app for a 10% cut and 90 day store exclusivity” I would be very interested.

This is great and now even Nitro is making more sense. Looking forward to it being released globally, Steam’s grip on the industry has to be eroded. The exclusive indie deal makes sense, personally I would think 90 days may be a bit too much, given how quickly the zetgeist moves I think 30 is plenty, but let’s see if it works. I’m all for indie devs getting paid.

I signed up for Nitro the day they started deleting white supremacist servers and enforcing their TOS, so this is just a bonus for me.