Dishonored's Billie Lurk Was the Spirit of Justice in 2017

Welcome to the Waypoint's Pantheon of Games, a celebration of our favorite games, a re-imagining of the year's best characters, and an exploration of the 2017's most significant trends.

Dishonored: Death of the Outsider, the stand-alone expansion to 2016's Dishonored 2, follows the story of Billie Lurk, the assassin Daud’s erstwhile protégé, and Corvo Attano and Emily Kaldwin’s unlikely ally. The game's shifted focus allows us to get a good look at a character who, for the last two games, has kept mostly to the shadows. Learning more about Billie, in turn, affords us a greater understanding of the entrenched power structures of Dishonored and how she fits into them.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/j5vp38/dishonoreds-billie-lurk-was-the-spirit-of-justice-in-2017

Death of the Outsider is another exciting change to the Dishonored formula. The best yet, I’d say. I hope Arkane has one more chance to send off this series. And after playing as Billie, hopefully we can see the world through another person’s eyes who actually lives in that real world like she does, unlike Corvo and Emily who are so removed from the despair beneath them.

Story/character concerns aside, this is a series that I think rivals the legacy of Thief: The Dark Project and its sequels. Dishonored 2 and Death of the Outsider are the best stealth/“immersive sim” games I’ve played.