Do you care WAY too much about coffee? Well, here's a coffee thread for you!

What have you been drinking? How do you like your coffee? How do you brew your coffee? Who are your favorite roasters? Do you have an espresso machine? Can I have it?

Everyone’s welcome to post: whether you use a Mr. Coffee or a La Marzocco!

I just got a bag of China Banka Natural Process from Halfwit, which I’ve been brewing with my Aeropress and V60. It’s really good! I typically view advertised flavor notes as something for show 9 out of 10 times, but this one really does have a blackberry and dark chocolate profile to it.

This is serendipitous timing, I just ordered a bunch of coffee making supplies. Until now I’ve just been drinking coffee at work which is pretty gross pre-ground mud water.

Here’s what I bought:
Handground Coffee Grinder
Hario one-cup pourover dripper
Ovalware pour-over kettle

If anyone has tips or suggestions let me know, never used a pour-over before.

Dunkin Donuts is my coffee jam. Used to drink it all the time when I lived in Chicago. Used to be able to get a large iced coffee and two donuts for about $3 bucks. I was super stoked when they finally came back out here to Los Angeles, and now there’s one on my way to the freeway so I’m pretty happy with it.

If I make it at home, I just grab a bag from DD and use it with my 6-10 cup drip coffee maker.

Not exciting, I know. :slight_smile:

I haven’t gotten super far into beans, but I cold brew and it’s really good and easy.

I got this (https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/primula-reg-50-oz-cold-brew-iced-coffee-maker/1042504054) put the grounds in it when I get home and it’s good to go in the morning. Highly recommend it.

I’m Bostonian, so my body 85% dunkin donuts iced coffee at any given time. That being said I really love everything about my Kalita Wave Dripper except the hassle of getting filters.

OOoohh, coffee! That is my jam!

I’ve had a lot of coffee from local or localish roasters recently. In particular, I love Silver Bridge out of Southern Ohio and Backroom Roasters in Columbus.

I probably have too many ways to make coffee in my house between a french press, Aeropress, Chemex, and drip (Bonavita 1900). Lately, all I can manage is making it via drip because time is precious in the mornings with a 15 month old.

Grinder is a Baratza Encore, which was a great great upgrade over an electric mill grinder I used for years from Cuisinart. I’d love to step up another tier in Baratza’s lineup, but grinders get expensive quick!

I’m also pumped this week as I just ordered 3 pounds of green coffee beans from Sweet Maria’s and I’m roasting them in a hot air popcorn maker. I got about 1/3 pound roasted last night in a couple batches (can’t do too much coffee at once in those, or it won’t roast even) and should be able to enjoy those later this week when my current beans (from Silver Bridge as mentioned earlier) run out.

If I’m not making it, I don’t tend to prefer particular coffee shops outside of whatever’s close or whatever’s more local. I generally try not to turn my nose up at any coffee available, because I also love getting coffee at a diner even if it’s not the best. It just tastes better in a diner for some reason.

Coffee, I love that coffee.

I have a french press for daily coffee and an ibrik for the weekends. I usually just buy the bulk breakfast blend/house roast from my local grocery store, so I feel like I’m probably wasting them.

I like the ritual of preparing coffee every morning.

I used to have a French Press when I was in college. Splurged and bought a nice one with what little money I had. The coffee I made with that was pretty dope, but then my then roommate cleaned it in the dishwasher, destroying pretty much all the parts to it. We weren’t pals…

I’m usually the same way about flavor profiles, except for the really high end roasters I’ve gotten coffee from. My mom once gave me some beans that said it had a flavor of tea and peanut butter, which I figured was nonsense, but then one Chemex later I was amazed that it actually tasted like that.

My wife and I work from home most of the day so coffee has become an essential part of our morning routine. I worked at Starbucks for a short time so I got a crash course in how to make all kinds of espresso beverages.

I have a Breville espresso machine and a Bonavita drip coffee maker. The espresso machine gets used pretty much every day as my wife doesn’t like black coffee. So I’m still well versed in the art of lattes and mochas.

The best part of my house is the instant hot water tap we have in our kitchen sink so Americanos are a breeze. No water boiling required!

I’ve been a little shit about this coffee thing. I’ve only recently been grinding my own beans and even so, I’m still throwing the grounds into a reusable K-Cup. When I’m pressed for time, I’ll just pop a few beans in my mouth and go.

Your set-up looks solid! The V60 is still my favorite brewer.

Back when I was a barista, I wrote a seven-page guide to how I brew with the Hario dripper because I was bored. I wish I still had it, but I can give you a few quick tips!

• When starting out with handbrewing, the primary goal you’ll want to shoot for is consistency. There are a ton of factors that can change how your coffee tastes (grind size, ratio of water to coffee, water temperature, how much you agitated the coffee, how long it brewed).

• A simple baseline for judging your coffee: Does it taste bitter? Sour? Neither? If bitter (i.e. overextraction), then you may want to coarsen your grind if it took a while to brew, agitate the coffee less, or brew with cooler water. If sour (i.e. underextraction), then you may want a finer grind, more agitation, hotter water, or a longer brew time.

• A timer and a scale are your best friends down the line. If you don’t have a kitchen scale right now, you’ll at least want to use a timer to dial in your grind (i.e. make sure the coffee isn’t too fine or too coarse). I shoot for a 20-30s steep + a 2 minute brew time myself, but different recipes will advise differently.

• With the V60, you’ll need to be patient and experiment. There’s a reason a lot of cafes don’t use it as much as they used to (at least where I’m at that’s the case), and it’s because it can be very temperamental. Once you get to the skill floor with it, you’ll reliably be able to make some damn good coffee. Part of my old job was training new hires on the V60, which took them at least a few days of practice before they got confident with it. (It’s honestly not that bad, but it can be easy to start out frustrated with it).

• There are soooo many coffee roasters who host brew guides on their sites. Among others, I like Heart’s, but you may want to take some time and try a few different ones to see which recipes work best for you.

• And just generally, be sure you aren’t hitting the sides of the filter, avoid allowing grounds to remain high in the cone after the coffee pulls through (stirring helps!), and don’t be afraid to change something if it isn’t working.

I hope this was helpful. If you have any more questions, don’t hesitate to ask!

I love it when that happens. I once got a pourover of an Ethiopian coffee from a local roaster, and even in a to-go cup with a lid, it tasted more like blueberries than coffee. It was unreal!

I’ve been using the Hario Skerton to hand grind but I’m ready to get an electric grinder. Since all I do is pour over and occasionally an aeropress I’m waiting for the Baratza Sette 30 to come out this summer.

Maybe you fine coffee people can help me. I’ve done the google search but have noticed a lot of inconsistencies. With my standard 6-10 cup drip coffeemaker, I find I don’t like the coffee nearly as much. I’ve cleaned it out on the regular, but I wonder if I’m just not using the right amount of grounds, or what. What are your guys’ sweet spots for grounds? Do I just need to “git gud?” Much question. So coffee.

Coffee grind is usually the first thing to address. Do you get your coffee preground or do you grind it yourself? If you grind it yourself, what sort of grinder do you use?

You’re awesome, thanks for all the tips. I do have a kitchen scale that I use pretty much daily, so hopefully I’ll be good to go.

I buy it pre-ground, generally from the place I get my coffee. Sometimes Dunkin’ and sometimes Starbucks. If I had a little more time in the morning before work I’d grind my own, but alas.

Relatedly, does anyone have a kitchen scale they recommend? Mine is way finicky and throws errors all the time.