Do you care WAY too much about coffee? Well, here's a coffee thread for you!

The water where I am is even chalkier than London and, while I don’t really mind that with the AeroPress, I have to filter it for the espresso machine and for my tea. In the end I got a kettle that integrates a Brita filter. I’d at least give a filter a try before going for bottled water.

Ah yes I did think about that! Probably a good shout.

How has it affected your coffee?

It’s really easy to notice the thicker and more plentiful crema when using filtered water and, over a the long term, also less need to descale the boiler/lower wear on the machine. Basically, if you want a uniform extraction then I think hard water will quickly make it impossible.

I’ve never noticed a negative taste from our local water so it’s not like it messes with the flavours but I certainly noticed that as soon as I filtered the water that it was so much easier to pull a good espresso (which obviously gives a better taste) and tune the grind/tamp just right for a thick crema (no tweaking before got anything close to this).

Yeah,
Coffee is my jam.

There are tonnes of really good local roasters where I’m from. Which is weird because Ireland isn’t somewhere you would really associate with coffee, but it is really going through a boom here. There are about 4 different Irish roasters that I get my coffee from, and one place that gets there stuff roasted in this super high-end place in Berlin.
I’ve recently made contact with a guy in my small town who started up a micro roastery. He roasts the coffee for you after you order and delivered it to my door himself which is cool.

My main equipment consists of an Aeropress, V-60, Hario hand grinder and a gooseneck kettle with a thermometer built in.

Just made a batch of Japanese style iced coffee (which is brewed hot on to ice instead of cold brewed) not an hour ago and it was savage.

I spent a year working as a barista for a state-wide roaster’s shop in Detroit, but I’ve been a total coffee nerd ever since I decided to read Scott Rao’s books for fun!

Well, I’ll start by saying I get stupid serious about my coffee.

I use a pretty standard pour over. The Fresh Market (it’s a high end grocery store) by my apartment was going out of business and had a bunch of coffee on sale so I was able to buy a bunch of Counter Culture beans for less then ten dollars a bag. I fifo’d it (cause I’m not a monster) and am going through the Ethiopian beans right now. The lighter the roast the better for me. I really like fruity, tannin heavy coffee.

Recently though I’ve been having an issue where my filters are breaking? I poor the same way every time so I don’t know if it’s just a factory defect or what.

edit: I’m moving to Boston this fall and I am pumped to find some new coffee shops and roasteries.

I made a cup of coffee last night with my Aeropress for the first time in a few months and it amazed me how much flavor it had compared to my morning coffee with my Bonavita drip maker. This happens to me whenever I go back and make a Chemex or Aeropress for the first time in a while, but I needed to figure out what was missing from my morning drip coffee.

Decided to measure out how much coffee I was using and apparently I was only using about half the grounds (in weight) I could be using for how much I make in the mornings. Fixed that, and I’m certainly more wired this morning :laughing:

I really like a good coffee, and I’ve always entertained the idea of getting into making good coffee, but I’ve never actually gotten around to it. I’ll certainly keep reading this thread with great interest, though!

wow, what is brand for your kitchen scale as i want to buy one recently.

My SO and I make a lot of cold brew year-round, and love the Filtron for making a ton of concentrate that can be stored cold in the fridge. She pretty much only drinks the cold brew, even in winter, because of the ease of it.

I do like to make french press on cooler days and the weekends, though. I’ve been using a few types of Equator beans after Nick Breckon’s many recommendations on Idle Thumbs. Not super sustainable flying in beans from SF to NYC, but they certainly are good.

I’ll probably switch back to a more local roaster after using them up, though. Anyone have a favorite local(ish) roaster in the NYC area?

A new coffee place opened up literally opposite my work and it’s super nice, plus they use Union Coffee which I am psyched about and I needed to get excited in a place that would understand my joy!

Also caved and bought an item off my coffee wishlist, the Hario Mizudashi Cold Brew Pot to keep in the office because it is roasting in London this summer.

I am newly on board the cold brew bandwagon. I avoided it for the longest time because I think iced coffee is absolutely disgusting, but I finally gave in and tried cold brew. It is freaking life changing.

After making a few servings in my french press, I decided to get some real equipment. I went with the Oxo Good Grips model. It seems to work pretty well. The brewer takes up about as much room as a gallon of milk, the carafe more like a half-gallon. Their recommended recipe yields about 2 - 2.5 cups of concentrate. That’s 10-12 servings, which theoretically should be at least 4 days for me. I usually only drink espresso at home, 2 or 3 times a day. But the cold brew is just… sitting there. Waiting for some ice, some Deer Park water, a little splash of half-and-half. It wants to be drunk.

I do have some questions for the cold brew vets.

• Is it just called “cold” because it’s not hot? AFAICT, it brews at room temperature (I had assumed it was supposed to be refrigerated while brewing). Does it make any difference if it’s “cold” brewed vs. actually cold brewed?

• Any good recommendations for good-but-not-too-expensive beans? I tried using my favorite espresso beans (Italian Roast from The Bean Company) but they only yielded about half as much concentrate as it should - I only got one cup of concentrate from 10oz of coffee and 5 cups of water. My guess is darker roast = drier beans = soaks up more water, but I just pulled that off the top of my head. No idea if it’s true.

Flat white all day everyday

I don’t know but suspect you are correct that cold brew was coined purely to emphasise NOT hot.

As far as recommendations, I just used coursely ground Trader Joe’s Organic Bolivian Blend for the first time last week and it was delicious. Extra detail, I brewed for four days in Bodybrew maker, room temp on kitchen counter top.

I usually order beans from all over the place, but my new favorite places to buy from are Grounds and Hounds and Great Lakes Coffee.

Grounds and Hounds actually donates to local shelters for every pound of coffee they sell. Their “Sit & Stay Blend” is one of my favorites.

The “Bailout Blend” from Great Lakes is also top notch.

Oh awesome, thanks for the Grounds and Hounds rec! I’m definitely going to try them out since donating to shelters for coffee sales is an idea I can definitely get behind.

roasting your own beans is life changing. a good home roaster is a huge initial investment but green coffee is like $6/lb. and you get precise control over roast levels.

I was home for a bit last month and finally got to try a new local roastery: Brandywine Coffee Roasters.

I had their Small Town Blend and it was the perfect start to my morning. Highly recommend. Also, a dude I used to play music with does the artwork for them and it is top notch.

I’m drinking coffee right now and it’s alright. My favorite roast is from a place in Seattle called Lighthouse Roasters. Their shit is the bomb and if you want to buy their beans, do it. You won’t be disappointed.

I have generally been enjoying diverting most of my weekly food budget to coffee (when you’re not eating much, you can go pretty cheap as long as you’ve got weight to lose) and sampling some Pact stuff (it’s quite good, never burnt, lots of variety). But I must share with you something quite ridiculous they’re doing:

Under 3 lbs (combined) of coffee, in 5 shipments over the next year, for £150 (about $200 inc any sales tax).