Do you continue playing games post-credits

So I have been playing through Hollow Knight and I’m at the point where I could go to the final encounter if I wanted to. But I have been playing through all of the optional content instead because I know that if I “finish” the game and see credits, that will be a mental block in going back to the game. I found this to be the same with Sekiro and I tried to complete as much as I could before the final encounter. I only forego this rule for mainline Mario games, where they have post-credits content, that is content you aren’t able to see until you “finish” the game.

So my questions for y’all

• Do you continue to play a game post credits?
  • Do you try to complete all content you can before doing whatever the final encounter is?
  • Are there any games where you break your usual rules?
2 Likes

I don’t think I’ve ever played a game which had post-credits content, so…

(The only two games I’ve really played a NG+ content for, which is a bit different, were Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey, and Transistor. And I sort of faded out of interest around 50% of the way in to both NG+s. But, then, there aren’t that many games with NG+ modes which I’ve actually completed in the first place. in the case of SMT:SJ, I was explicitly interested in seeing what the alternative branches looked like in the plot (and I stopped playing partly because I really disliked what you end up becoming/enabling if you don’t pick Neutral).)

Pokémon games are some of the only ones I play long after the credits roll. I just love collecting and diversifying my party. Facing the Elite 4 again is one of the most challenging things in the Pokémon games and is a good enough reason for me to keep playing.

Generally I don’t play too many games after the credits roll, however. New game plus doesn’t interest me, and if there are other ending they’re generally easy to find on YouTube.

4 Likes

For me it depends on the sort of structure of the game. Like @mufosta, the credits mean nothing to me in Pokemon because the credits seem to mean so little in that game, it’s all about the catching and collecting and customizing. For the same reason I am prone to replaying Fire Emblem games (they traditionally do not have post-credit content) after the credits role because I want to try different characters and classes. The combination of chance circumstance and customization is what typically gets me to keep playing a game post-credits. I think too it is not a coincidence that both the examples I use are games where the plot is, traditionally, very light.

Games that are more narrative driven and with less opportunity for variety I do not play post-credit. Hollow Knight is a great example of this. The DLC stuff seems very cool but the credits have rolled and, in that instance in particular, gave such a nice end to the story that returning to it doesn’t feel right. That and the game was hard enough that I am not tempted to start fresh.

As to whether or not I try and complete, or 100%, a game before the credits, that really depends on how feasible and enjoyable that is. I would have loved to have done everything in Hollow Knight but I was pretty much at the extent of my ability at the end of that game and tracking down all those worms was not super appealing. Similarly, I bailed on unlocking all there was in Final Fantasy XII when playing that because I was more bored than invested at the end of the game.

3 Likes

You bring up a good point about dlc, if I have already rolled the credits for a game I am generally uninterested in playing dlc unless it’s a completely different campaign. Like, I haven’t played any souls dlc besides atorias because that’s the only game I didn’t play at launch.

I see more and more games making dlc that’s outside of t he e main campaign though and I want that to become the standard!

Like seemingly everyone here I am more likely to finish post-credits material if the credits aren’t particularly meaningful (i.e. Pokemon) and specifically if there’s content that’s actually gated behind the credits (as in Pokemon). But I usually will not go back after the credits roll to find content in a game that was available pre-credits. If there’s a lot of that or new DLC comes out, my strategy has been “I will wait for the Switch port and play it again.”

I’ve played through Hollow Knight two full times like that because it didn’t feel right going back and doing the DLC on my old save, and I’ll probably do the same with Sekiro if DLC comes out for it. I didn’t play the DLC with Horizon Zero Dawn and, though I really like that game, I can’t really see myself jumping into the old save to play it. I made sure to finish all of the shrines before beating Breath of the Wild because I knew having it “finished” in my head would take something away from the feeling of exploration. So… yeah. It’s a thing for sure.

1 Like

I was desperately hoping that games like Uncharted: Lost Legacy and Dishonored: Death of the Outsider would become more of a norm in game size.

To your main question though, it depends in part on game structure and in part on whether or not I’m into a game. A game like Pokemon, for example, I have no problem playing after the credits as long as I’m into it, but games that shut the door on you after credits roll don’t often get a return trip from me.

1 Like

I hadn’t thought about this before, but I usually stop playing after the credits roll unless I’m completely replaying a game from the start. So if I like a game a lot I try to complete as much as I can before going to the final area.
Even with games like Hitman, where the point of the game is playing every level several times or Super Mario Odyssey in which the “ending” opens up a lot of content I usually play a little more and then stop.
I think it also has to do with there being too many things that I want to play and read and watch, and wanting to move on to the next thing, which isn’t that great.

2 Likes

I agree with this. There are too many things out there. Once the credits roll something is lost.

Like, I’ve never gone all through the shrines in BOTW because I rolled credits. Still do get cravings and sometimes I think I someday will. But it’s hard to go back.

In the Xenoblade 2 DLC, Torna, which is a new campaign, I got through almost every quest before beating the game. Now that it’s beaten I’m like 5-10 hours from 100%ing it and just cannot find the motivation.

2 Likes

death of the outsider is a great example. it feels so much denser than 1/2, but the number and size of missions feels just right for the story length and for giving the player room to try and learn new things. it’s concise in a way that seems increasingly rare lately.

re: topic, i generally like to fill out the map, see every corner and have the game tell me afterwards that i got 100% at least once. sometimes i postpone the endgame and credits to do so, sometimes not. i like when it’s good enough to want to run through it again, testing my more comprehensive knowledge and skill against obstacles i’ve seen already, especially on higher difficulties. sometimes i get one that feels like yeah, there’s no need to replay, this is a satisfying conclusion and i don’t want to spoil it. or one where 100% means fight this 50mil hp dragon or something and like, no.
i also don’t buy very many games. there’s probably a direct relationship there.
i don’t do ng+ though, and f design that demands i go into ng+ to play it in whatever way (looking at you dark souls 3). if there’s any character building, and there probably is because every game has rpg elements now seriously why, part of the fun is the journey and figuring out along the way what i can use to make up for tools i just don’t have yet.

1 Like

So something I’m concluding is structure plays a big role for most people if they will play post-credits or not, that makes a ton of sense!

This also has me thinking of Fallout 3, which didn’t let you go back to your save after finishing the main story, I remember that being a huge deal because the open-ended nature of the game didn’t gel with that approach, and in Skyrim, the main story played a much smaller role and finishing it felt anti-climatic. I don’t remember the game proper going to credits either.

Skyrim did not cut to credits. They give you an achievement, you talk to a warrior person, and then they send you back to Skyrim. Very anti-climatic, but “Sovngarde” is still a favorite song of mine.

1 Like

This is suuuuper rare for me as a general rule. I really, really love the game if I do keep going. And I almost never play DLC, even when it’s for a game I really like. I’m usually just done with the game by then and not really interested in re-visiting.

Which reminds me that I should really go do the DAI DLC, because I love the series and it’s important.

1 Like

I’m a recovering achievement hunter, but if there are some doable or fun achievements after the main campaign, I’ll give them a shot. If it devolves into collectible hunting or some other grindy task I’ll drop it, but if I’m 90% to snapping 100 enemy necks, you better believe I’m snapping the remaining 10.

@mundanesoul: The DAI expansions are all really good and are worth checking out. At the very least, play through Trespasser before the next game comes out.

2 Likes

Ha, yeah, I replayed the whole game recently with the intent that it was a full game + DLC run, and then as soon as I stepped into the Jaws of Hakkon zone I was like NAH I’M GOOD and peaced out. It’s been a few months, though, so this is probably a good time to try to return to it.

I just have to tear myself away from FFXIV long enough to do literally anything else.

I’m the kind of person that likes to try to finish every little piece of side content possible before heading towards the “final area” of a game. Once the credits roll, my mind switches into “this game is done” mode, and I rarely want to pick it back up again. That’s mostly the reason why I never really got too deep into the Godmaster dlc for Hollow Knight (and the other reason was that Godmaster wasn’t that good in the first place).

Obviously, there are special case for this as well. Like many people have mentioned in this thread, the Pokemon games are games that I’ll keep playing until I get bored of it, or finish all there is to offer. I’m sure there are other games like that as well, but I can’t think of any off the top of my head. Generally, however, once I see those credits, my mind already starts thinking of what’s next to play.

1 Like

Also, I feel as though, in this day and age of video games, there are so many good/unique/interesting games coming out all the time, that it’s hard for me to even want to spend the time on any post-game content or dlc that comes out. Rarely do I ever revisit a game I’ve beaten, simply because of the growing mountain of games that I have yet to play. Even when I do revisit a game I’ve played through, the whole time, it feels like I’m wasting time that I could be using to experience something new. Such is the curse of the modern gaming landscape.

2 Likes

In my case, it’s increasingly common that I won’t finish a game before stopping playing it, so actually continuing with a game NG+ needs something either very short or exceptionally interesting. (Writing this, I remember that I did complete all possible endings to Analogue: A Hate Story, and Hate Plus, but they’re both pretty short, and well-written.)

1 Like

The only games I’ve 100%ed or even gotten close to 100%ing in the last five years are God of War and Witcher 3. There’s just too many games now and I can actually afford more than five or so games a year, and I have less time than ever to play, so I can’t justify spending 500 hours on a single title anymore.

God of War just happened to have a truly great superboss that was the best thing in that game and Witcher 3 is exceptional in all ways. Otherwise I’m lucky if I can even finish long games anymore…

1 Like

I’m like most of you. When I get that rush of having “finished” a game, I’m good. I move on. I’m pretty self aware about this. As an example: I knew if I didn’t beat a particular boss in Sekiro before finishing, I never would. So I did that before even going to work on the final boss.

The notable exception to this for me is strategy genre games. I have some large playtimes on those because I find them satisfying and relaxing. I just like trying different approaches and seeing what sort of stories the strategy engine produces.

I don’t think I’ve ever 100%-ed a game, and I’m okay with that.

1 Like