Dome Sweet Dome - An "Encased" Thread

I have been having a lot of fun over the last few days with Encased, a retro-post-apocalypse turn-based rpg by Dark Crystal Games. It feels very much like Fallout 1 and 2, but less punishing and antiquated. The writing is engaging, the cast of companion characters are fun and interesting, and the skill system is open in a way that’s really fascinating and I’m looking forward to seeing what I can do with a different toolset on a second runthrough.

I first saw the game watching the Nextlander coverage of E3, I think? And was intrigued by the premise immediately, but didn’t pick it up until its full release just recently. I was not prepared for how much I would like it. Maybe it’s just because there’s a well-handled trans companion, but I really think it’s a very good game.

Has anyone else tried it? Do people have favourite companions? Is there a good way to add more character portraits?

1 Like

Can I ask: what gives it a Fallout vibe for you? How does the writing compare?

The gameplay is similar to the older Fallouts, obviously, and it has a (usually) more mature take on the ways capitalism and Western imperialism leads the world to disaster. The first thing I saw of it was this trailer: Encased: C.R.O.N.U.S. - Official Trailer | Summer Games Fest 2021 - YouTube Which is much more goofy than the actual game tends to be, but really just makes the subtext text with regard to the ways this setting is dystopic even before it becomes apocalyptic. It has similar shortcomings to Fallout regarding people who have “lost their mind” in the apocalypse, and I haven’t seen the low-intelligence dialogue but I’m aware it’s present and judging by the unique perks it gives access to, probably also not great.

It very much feels like the team wanted to make a spiritual successor to Fallout 1 and 2, without just filing the serial numbers off of the setting, and updating it to be a bit less obtuse to play and a lot more progressive.