Don't Piss Off Bradley, the Parts Seller Keeping Atari Machines Alive

Every old video game console dies eventually. Moving parts seize-up, circuit boards fail, cables wear out. If a user needs a replacement connector, chip, ribbon, gear, shell—or any of the thousands of other parts that, in time, can break, melt, discolor, delaminate, or explode—they’re usually out of luck, unless they have a spare system to scavenge.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/7kvkx9/dont-piss-off-bradley-the-parts-seller-keeping-atari-machines-alive
4 Likes

Really enjoyed this article. There is something about fixing a cherished item and getting it back in working condition that is just so satisfying. While not nearly as difficult or fraught as repairing an Atari 2600, I recently fixed up my five year old Xbox Elite controller. It wasn’t much, just replacing the bumpers and grips, getting the dpad contacts realigned, and a detailed cleaning with a q-tip, but $30 and an hour later I was able to get my old gaming companion back to showroom condition. It has got me thinking of cracking open my old launch model PS3 that’s been YLOD for a decade and seeing what can be done with it.

Also, while I don’t like how capitalism consigns history to the junk heap, I do like how much care Bradley takes with his business. The eccentricities might be a bit much, but a typewritten catalog and taking orders by fax is just so dang charming.

2 Likes

This was a really good article!

There’s something kind of respectable about someone who is brutally honest about not wasting their time even if it sounds like they might take it too far. Honestly kind of wish I could be a bit more direct with some people about not wasting my time.

2 Likes

I really enjoyed this article! That’s the comment lmao

Fascinating article but the dude sounds like every petty middle manager tyrant I’ve ever worked with. He’s found his niche fiefdom and takes pleasure in exerting his power over his unwilling subjects. No thanks.

2 Likes