Don't Reward Nintendo For This SNES Classic Pre-Order Bullshit

How many times will Nintendo be able to mess up this stuff before the people that support them stop forgiving them and actually start keeping their money and time? They’re clearly holding onto whatever Virtual Console/subscription service plans they have until the moment the SNES Classic is discontinued, to make you buy those old games again right away. They’ve made thinly veiled attempts to get you to buy them over and over again by saying they just can’t transfer, for years.

Every time this happens, I say “surely this has to be the last time they’ll get away with it”, but it just keeps going.

Brace yourselves for the N64 Classic next year.

Best Buy Canada did actually tweet out that they were opening preorders in 45 minutes though I still missed it by a few minutes since I was in a meeting. EB Games had it on their site but their site crashed and when it was back up they were sold out. I realized that the physical EB Games locations must be taking pre-orders at that point and thankfully since I’m near a mall it was just a quick drive over to check and sure enough they were still taking preorders about an hour after they opened.

So I’m thankful I won’t have to keep checking any other places, my backup was to check Toys-R-Us since it is not the first place most people think of. Amazon Canada doesn’t even have the system listed yet. Hopefully they’ll do a pre-announcement or something like they did with the Switch.

I really wish these Nintendo classic consoles were just available as impulse aisle purchases and not these very limited runs. I just hope the initial wave of preorders is kind of small but they have a bunch of units in the later waves that are actually intended to sit on store shelves for a bit.

So what’s the action item here? How can we vote with our dollar? The thing’s already sold out so Nintendo can’t really get the message that you hate how this played out, unless you feel motivated to take it out on some of Nintendo’s other products? Sell your Switch? I don’t know.

All I can say is Late Capitalism! jazz hands

N64 Classic patent has apparently already been filed. That one’s going to be especially weird considering there’s like one game that’s still worth re-visiting on that system and a better version of it is available for the 3DS already, but hey, I bet people will still manage to lose their shit over it.

It’s always been bizarre to me that you have to compete to buy a product with people that want to sell it back to you at an inflated price. its gotten so bad that you only have seconds to try and buy something in competition with automated systems.
the end result will be only scalpers with bots buying products, competing on a crazy quantum level we won’t even be able to see. corporations take over scalper bots, essentially starting to only sell products to themselves.

anyway, had enough of this bullshit, buying a switch was hard enough.

At this point there are so many ways to play old Nintendo games that I really don’t feel bad at all. There’s the virtual console on Wii, Wii U and 3DS, there’s plenty of remakes and re releases of popular games on all Nintendo consoles. Hell, it’s really not that hard to just find an SNES and actually carts if you really want to. Plus the myriad of emulators on literally every device. I would like a SNES classic, but I definitely do not need it.

They ported Perfect Dark to the 3DS? :grin:

They’re selling roms. Roms that a few MB each. Less roms than last time, but for more money. Hurrah for actually including a second controller I guess?

This is all horseshit. There are options (of varying quality for SNES, but still options) to play carts, and if you don’t care about emulation it is not hard to set up a raspberry pi complete with little custom SNES (or a plethora of other system options) case. I found a tutorial on how to make one out of an NES cart, and used Winter Games (shit game, but sweet label). I don’t even use it, but I still did it because why not! :smiley:

So you get your nostalgia fix, even with the cute little SNES box, you don’t pay scalper markup, and you don’t support Nintendo’s bullshit. Win win.

This seems so different to what has happened in the UK. Amazon, Nintendo UK and some other places were all doing pre-orders like two months ago I think. I got emails from them saying they were available, spent an hour or so going back on forth on it, then decided to go for it (didn’t bother with the NES but have fond memories of the SNES and have a fanciful notion of sitting down with my son and telling him about “the good old days”) and got a pre-order easily from Nintendo. Of course it hasn’t shipped yet, so it could all go wrong, but I don’t understand why we had them so much earlier than the USA, and it seems in decent numbers so they didn’t vanish within five minutes.

It felt like they had learned from the NES debacle, but from all this it seems they haven’t, at least in the US. Maybe it’s the Nintendo arm there that is clueless, as the UK seemed to have it way better?

I’m in two minds about this. On one hand, why pay $80 for a mini SNES? when you can get an emulator and re-play all the SNES games you want and have them run better than they did on the original machine in the first place? On the other hand, I can see there being millions of gamers with kids who want to introduce their own kids to the games of their childhood. In this sense it’s a perfect Nintendo move. But I guess as always Nintendo’s backward strategy is its undoing. I’m still salty I can’t get my hands on a Switch. Mario Odyssey is fast approaching dammit!

I have some trouble believing that arguments like this are made in good faith. How do you determine that prior to release? Firstly, you don’t need to - that’s a completely artificial constraint, you can determine it after release as many industries do - bring out a ‘first edition’, then if it looks like you’re going to sell them all you do another run. These ‘consoles’ are off-the-shelf little Linux SoC boards in an injection moulded case, ordering more does not require retooling a dedicated factory like building a new iPhone.

Secondly, let’s just note that this is not about stock that is selling out of store shelves right now, this is about pre-orders. The entire point of pre-orders is that you take them in advance so you know exactly how many units you need, then you make them. Nintendo could have ensured they made exactly the right number - no surplus, no disappointed customers.

Thirdly, they could have avoided all the rushing, panic buying and scalping by announcing up front that they were indeed going to do one of those things to ensure sufficient supply. Instead they made the choice to do the exact opposite and have a re-run of the great NES Mini shitshow.

None of this is complicated, none of this is difficult. This situation is entirely of Nintendo’s own making, and entirely Nintendo’s choice.There is no way in which this is something that’s happened to them, it is something they’ve done.

Everyone defending Nintendo’s behaviour here seems to be intent on focussing on what Nintendo could possibly do now while standing in a hole, when the rest of us are pointing out that they didn’t need to gleefully dig themselves into one in the first place.

I understand the frustration, but I don’t like the idea of shaming the consumer for wanting a product (although I guess you could argue this is why capitalism is bad, but that’s another debate). It sucks, Nintendo is shitting the bed, but it’s still a really cool product and I understand the appeal of why people want it. Yeah there are emulators that are easily available, but, at least to me, it always felt like a chore to get the emulator, and the ROM, and make sure it’s in the right folder and then load it from there. Just playing on a emulator took away from my enjoyment a lot of time and I stopped player very good games after a few hours. There’s no real good explanation other than some nebulous feeling of not playing the game in the way it was intended.

Idk, I guess it just feels cheap to say “hey here’s this cool thing you want, but don’t buy it to show the company you won’t support their limited run.”

I guess this would all be solved if Nintendo would just make more so I guess that’s really what it comes down to though.

My wife and I felt so burned by the previous Wal-Mart screw up when they put up pre-orders early and then cancelled them all shortly after that we went full Raspberry Pi and haven’t looked back. It’s great.

We have a massive collection of video games going from the NES to TurboGrafx-CD, 3DO, Neo Geo, and on and while there’s always things to nitpick the Pi definitely passes the “this is more than good enough for me” bar when comparing the quality.

Nintendo could easily make as many of these as they need without going over by manufacturing whatever amount they did for this wave of systems, and then stopping whenever they retailers don’t immediately sell out of pre-orders the same day they go up. They’d still move ever single unit they ship out easily. But they don’t because even that level of profit is not enough, so they go for the minimal risk to maximum reward with some that was extremely easy and cheap for them to make.

On top of that, like you think Kuniyo Yamashita gets royalties every time I re-buy a Castlevania game? Supporting this stuff is a dead end and your purchasing retro games doesn’t actually get anyone involved in or who would like to make more of them paid. You can see that reflected in the way Nintendo does these releases vs., like SNK which still contracts a lot of their old guard and puts out awesome awesome ports of their games all day. Like they release GOAT-caliber games in a way anyone with any console can get them easily instead of what’s going to now be the third generation of slow trickle to non-existent virtual console stuff from Nintendo.

I started a thread on this forum for discussing and being excited about retro games getting released on modern systems, I don’t think I’ve posted in it for a few months now.

But Nintendo fans gonna Nintendo fan. Like you always see that immediate turnaround on social media of “OMG I’m boycotting Nintendo forever I can’t believe they did this ugh,” then Nintendo releases any product at all of any kind and it’s like that never happened please take my money ASAP. Gamers. :stuck_out_tongue:

And I don’t even mean that as a shaming of people that have no self control regarding video games, just that like, that’s Nintendo’s audience. So many people are frustrated about that regarding the NES and now SNES Classic because those are two items that are so obviously perfect stocking stuffer/mass appeal things that anyone alive while those two systems were new would like either for themselves or for their kids. And them releasing it in this super limited way is just stupid.

Then again, the NES Classic is still so expensive and in demand, like, people really are buying them for that to be the case. Like Nintendo already sold them all and basically took a shit on any average person who wants to get one, but people still willingly want to get gouged, lame.

I was burned last year with the NES Classic. Had one in my Amazon cart and then it was gone. I scoured the internets for supply but never found one. I have a job so was unable (and unwanting) to drive around trying to locate one. I am a dedicated, hardcore fan and I still couldn’t get one. That is a problem. I then have all of my notifications set up a three retailers as well as Amazon. Didn’t get one email or text notifying me pre-orders went live for the SNES Classic. I knew this would happen. I freaking KNEW it!! So I was proactive…a few weeks ago I was able to track down a modded system that had ROMS of all NES, SNES, Genesis, GBA…and more. For $100. Works great and the games look perfect. I was fully ready to give Nintendon’t $60 last year for the NES Classic and $80 this year for SNES Classic but they effed up again. I knew it and I’m glad I got the modded system. It’s no different than buying used games online or in a store…only not paying scalper prices. One game…like a used Smash Bros would go for $100 at a used game store or an online personal seller…that money wouldn’t go to Nintendo either. So, I don’t feel guilty. I tried giving them my money and there is no other way to buy these reasonably.

The hottest and truest take:

In what way is it an artificial constraint? Companies want to know how much of a product to manufacture in order to prevent filling warehouses with unsold product.The degree of difficulty required in manufacturing isn’t really a factor as these factories are going to move on to a new product either way. Creating a 'First Edition" still results in the same exact situation - the creation of a secondary resale market. In fact, this would probably result in an even worse situation as now the secondary market has an even higher premium product - the ‘First Edition’ - along with the product itself to try to milk ordinary consumers for. All of this feels irrelevant though because this is a short run item that isn’t designed to be produced over an extended period of time. Items are produced in this manner for many reasons and if the solution to the secondary market is to not manufacture a short run item it’s a nonstarter.

You’re right, they are selling pre-orders and pre-orders are, theoretically at least, intended to make sure you are producing enough to meet demand. Pre-orders do not take into account walk-in sales, however, and an item like the SNES Classic is one that people would likely wind up wanting to purchase in a more casual manner, leading to a higher number of desired products over the number of pre-orders anyway. This is why pre-orders are generally used to gauge how many additional copies of a product to send to a store, but that can often result in a lot of product left on store shelves, something both retail and manufacturers would like to avoid. Again though, this feels irrelevant because as demonstrated by the whole situation scalpers are able to pre-order products too. In a situation in which they were to look solely at pre-order numbers then produce that exact amount, there would still be a large number of ordinary consumers who would be out of luck.

Even in situations where pre-orders are announced early and specific times are given, the exact same thing happens. Websites are flooded and crash and a large amount of consumers who just want to enjoy a product leave unhappy. Doing these things doesn’t prevent the creation of a secondary market by and large because a secondary market is a guarantee in a neoliberal capitalist society. There’s a reason these things are huge issues in America in particular and it’s worth noting that other territories generally don’t run into this degree of difficulty. Countering the secondary market comes at the point of purchase. This means going further than simply limiting the amount of product a customer can buy such as by implementing captchas in order to stop bots, creating separate listings for products when they go up for pre-order in order to ensure no one has an advantage over anyone else, and leveraging brick and mortar stores as first waves for purchase. These implementations inconvenience all and most certainly won’t outright stop the secondary market, but requiring a minimal amount of effort to be exerted goes a long way in ensuring that those who actually want a product will get it.

I love Nintendo games, the SNES was my shit growing up, and it’s still mind boggling how badly they dropped the ball on this one.

Like you can sorta buy the unforeseen demand argument when it came to the NES Classic, I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt there. But going in this time you absolutely had to know that there would be insanely high demand for this product. You have to come prepared with like 10 times the stock of the original if you’re going to do it, and somehow it seems even worse then last year.

I get it, the scalpers were ready, they had bots to buy up dozens of consoles in a matter of seconds. But all that would’ve been irrelevant if you had produced an adequate amount of stock, they would’ve just been left with box after box that they couldn’t move.

I was off yesterday and it took me the better part of a day to secure my SNES Classic, and I had to buy 60 dollars worth of BS in order to do so from ThinkGeek. Which as an aside, is also unacceptable BS, the scalpers are bad enough, corporations doing the scalping to move bad products with the “hot one” feels 10 times shittier. If I actually had to work that day, I would’ve had zero chance.

Something needs to change, online retailers using Captcha would be a good start. When you sense high demand products are coming, limit the quantity to 1 or 2. Nintendo insisting that their product is not sold via “bundles” is another good move. But obviously the most important part is on Nintendo putting out enough stock for everyone. Enough already.

Be better.

“It’s on Nintendo to figure this out. The rest of us should stop playing along, and Nintendo should forfeit the right to complain about why people use emulators.”

Savage. I couldn’t agree more.

If they were selling Japanese or European variants here, it’d be very hard for me to resist the pre-order bullshit.