DONTNOD confirms to be working on a new Life Is Strange game (3 million unique players for Season 1)

If you’re reading this, you’ve likely already heard or watched the news… we reached over 3 million unique paying players! It’s an incredible achievement and one we could not have reached without you, our fantastic community! You helped spread positive words about our game and have continually kept the world interested in what happens next.

We also revealed a key piece of information that many of you have been waiting some time for now - we can indeed confirm that the original Life is Strange team at DONTNOD are working on a brand new Life is Strange game. We can’t wait to tell you all about it when the time is right, but for now we are hard at work ensuring it is the very best game we can create. We’re really thankful for your patience thus far and ask for a bit more time. The new game will not be at E3 in June this year but we will be watching the show alongside you all and wish everyone good luck!

That’s some hella good news. Life is Strange was the actual follow up to the Walking Dead Season 1 I was dying for.

I’m glad they’re taking another crack at it.

I have some minor (and one or two major) quibbles with the first game as it went on. I hope they can avoid those missteps, but it shouldn’t be hard if they’ve been listening & care to.

Also, I really hope it’s just an anthology style game and they don’t try to connect back to the first. It seems like the temptation there might be strong and I’d rather just a new game with a similar tone/feel to the first.

Nice! I’m glad to hear DONTNOD is doing well, considering how close they got to the brink after Remember Me. Even if the execution doesn’t always land, I feel like they keep managing to engage with really tough, complex stuff in their games–the sort of stuff you don’t usually see realized with this level of detail and visual richness.

Edit: God, Remember Me looked absolutely fantastic. Look through Janine’s Single Frame Video Game screenshots for it if you haven’t yet, they’re a treat.

This game is so underrated. It had a unique wistful atmosphere that I haven’t felt before or since in a video game. #BaeOverBay

2015’s best game should hella get a sequel.

Is Danielle & Patricia’s playthrough archived anywhere or has it all been eaten by the great Twitch void? Is The Cabal forever gone?

Hella excited to cry over fake video game #TEENS again.

That’s some cool news. I actually liked Life is Strange quite a bit.

I wonder if the new game will also deal with time travel or something completely different. They’ve mentioned in interviews that a sequel would likely be a different story with different characters.

Hoping for all new cast. Let Max be dammit.

hella nice, I just finished playing LiS earlier today. I had a really good time with it, but I hope they don’t lean too heavily on the same themes/inspirations of the original and maybe take it in a different direction this time or it could get a little stale.

Banking on the sequel name “Life is Stranger”

Man, I’m pretty stoked for them to back to this, I liked Life is Strange a lot. I’m honestly so, so much more excited for this than what I’ve seen of Vampyr.
I’ll echo others here that I really hope it’s an anthology-style game, doing with entirely different characters and maybe even a different location. I think the integral stuff to Life is Strange was more the aesthetic choices and the style of game- like, I expect whoever the sequel’s protagonist is, they’ll probably have the time-rewinding power too, so I hope they don’t end up accidentally remaking the whole “ahh you messed up time by rewinding too much” thing from the first game.

This pls ty dontnod

How about “Lives are Strange”?

I can get down for more strange

let’s go baybee

I hope they have a bigger budget for this one. I would love the LiS spirit with Naughty Dog facial animations.

I bought the whole first game, but I admit to never finishing it. It was interesting, but it never gripped me the way it did many others. Hopefully the new game will hook me more this time around.

(Also, no bottle hunting plz.)

Finally, the Warren spinoff that we’ve all been craving.

That’s great news! I loved LIS, and I hope they continue with the episodic model.

Also I’m partial to the title: Life is Still Strange

I came in here totally excited and feeling like a satisfying sequel is totally possible, but as I began to type I suddenly became unable to figure how exactly they’ll manage to draw from the LiS well again.

Gonna blur the rest of this post since my point is continent on a discussion of the end of the game.

[spoiler]I walked away from the first game feeling that I had learned a valuable lesson that messing with time, and consequently people’s lives, was objectively wrong and just about all of Max’s actions, while well-intentioned were a mistake (I’m sure you can gather what ending I picked).

While I don’t doubt there’s interesting territory to cover by playing with that idea, I fear it will feel disingenuous to either have Max continue to use her time travel powers (in a universe in which she saved Chloe) or have a new protag receive the same powers only to come to the same conclusion.

Also, the whole idea of time bending powers ceases to be novel now that the concept and rules for its execution have been established.

Perhaps if they create a protag who’s wildly different than Max (maybe an adult in a big city for example) or come up with some kind of variation to the powers a similar formula find a way to expand on the first game.

In this vein I think it would be interesting to see a kind of role-reversal plot where suddenly Chloe has powers, but I can’t begin to figure what catalysts in Max’s life she would wind up working to undo.[/spoiler]

I don’t necessarily see a sequel series as being a mechanical drop-in. Life is Strange is a YA series about young queer love (the text supports both the main characters being bi, even if it doesn’t necessarily demand it), the preciousness of time (Max going away, several beats about Chloe’s limited time, Rachel’s life), and the consequences of trying to cheat time. There is more than one way to write about attempting to cheat time, even if that’s something they’re going to bring back, but I don’t think they have to go back to the same theme for the next story (even set in the same universe).

To be honest I would take a similar artistic style, another set of young adult characters, and another queer love story. Build around those core concepts and have the mechanics fall out of the story theme. Bring an edge of supernatural elements into it (because the series is called Life is Strange) but don’t be tied to the concepts already covered, and remember that this is a heightened slice of life drama series that touches on real issues - that’s the emotional core that created such a strong fan community. Games have already standardised “no, that’s not what really happened” recounting as a way of shuffling through false paths so you could even retain the dialogue system without time travel powers appearing.

It’ll be a tall order to create a core cast that resonates as strongly as Max and Chloe did and I’m almost tempted to say they should attempt to add a thread of continuity by recasting the same voice talent into new roles - they certainly did a good job in season 1. But maybe it’s best to cast a new pool of characters without constraining them to the range of the existing VO talent.