'Doom' Will Never Be Eternal Without Mods

Doom ripped and tore its way into the public consciousness in 1993. For more than two decades, the hellish shooter has helped define first person shooters. The music is iconic, the violence is over the top, and it has never stopped getting attention. Thanks to the open source nature of its code, programmers have ported Doom to cameras, toasters, and thermostats. Popular Doom mods are still coming out. Series co-creator John Romero recently released an unofficial sequel called Sigil and Bethesda released an official mod raising the original game’s framerate earlier this month. Hundreds of industry workers credit modding Doom with getting them started in game development.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/5dmg8b/doom-will-never-be-eternal-without-mods

New DOOM WADs are still some of the best new gaming content in any given year.

The one thing I liked about the new console DOOM/DOOM 2 ports is the addition of a curated WAD section. Right now it’s very limited, but it is supposed to expand.

1 Like

I assume this means the file structure for maps and content is still buggered like it was for 2016 DOOM.

Instead of having a central library of textures and models maps could pull from, they were baked into the maps themselves. Which means that the map files were like 3GB+, and whenever they got any sort of slight tweak, they had to be fully redownloaded. (Which is why you had things like 50 gig patches.)

3 Likes

In the wake of a modder being the one who recently “fixed” Street Fighter V’s netcode I’ve been thinking about Quake a lot.

Nobody played vanilla Quake 1, 2, or 3. Even at official tournaments like Quakecon, all the standard competitive modes were mods that tweaked all sorts of things–netcode, hit boxes, weapon damage, respawn timers, movement physics, etc., and a large percentage of matches were played on community-made maps. Quake was rarely ever great out of the box; it was good, and then the community always got it the rest of the way there. Now it just feels like they’d get cease and desisted, especially with Bethesda publishing.

4 Likes

Ironic since Bethesda’s RPGs rarely feel complete without a bit of community modding polish.

2 Likes

I’m not too picky, but when I play a Bethesda RPG one of the first things I look for is a UI mod. Especially necessary for Skyrim.

To see games locking up the means to editing these things is a shame for so many reasons, accessibility, qol, just making shit pretty.