Double Tap, GDC talk by Ste Curran

In this 2017 GDC session, game designer Ste Curran gives a talk about guns, their effect on games and how that changes gamers (and the world). It’s an intense, combative talk that asks the audience to reflect on the games they play and create.

What stops me from going all the way to “maybe you shouldn’t make, promote or play violent games (without very, very good reason)” is, for a lack of a better word, privilege of playing those violent games for more than 20 years now, and then deciding that, nah, you don’t need them. But I do believe that industry as a whole (players, journalist and developers) is way overdue on talking about it. Or are we waiting for another Jack Thompson?

Also, it’s the lamest argument (because we talking about serious issue here), but, yes, guns stifle creativity. Of course yearly “Сall of Duty” gonna be stale, they can’t invent new ways to shoot. Give me sprawling, GTA-sized RPG where you don’t kill anyone. What do you do then? I have ideas, but surprise me! Just the fact that you can do (a little bit) more than just kill people in open world shooters like “Far Cry” makes those games (a little bit) better.