During Coronavirus, GameStop Chose Profits Over People. So I Quit.

CT Collins is a pseudonym. VICE Games agreed to use a pseudonym because Collins signed an employment contract that forbids the disclosure of internal GameStop information. VICE Games independently verified their employment status.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/7kzadq/why-i-quit-gamestop-during-coronavirus
6 Likes

This is so fucked. Reading the news reports just doesn’t hit home like a first hand account. Thanks to CT Collins for sharing their experience.

As much I lament the decline of physical media for preservation and archival purposes as well as the decline of physical spaces focused on games I think I’ll be fine with a world without that company in it exploiting people.

4 Likes

The best thing Gamestop can do right now is use their remaining capital to give all employees six months’ severance and go out of business. They’re never going to do that, of course, but it’s the right and moral thing to do.

2 Likes

Powerful stuff. Made me really angry, especially the details about the conference call last week. I know capitalism rots your brain, but the disposability corporate treats employees with has never ceased to shock me.

1 Like