E-Reader v. Phone v. Good old fashion paper

I’m a sucker for physical books, I don’t really know why to be honest. I had a nook reader for a bit and really only used it to get through Game of Thrones on the subway while I lived in New York. Eventually I just moved back to good old physical books.

For those that like both e-readers and old fashion style, do you purchase books multiple times, or just once on one or the other? I like having physical copies of books for my library and bookshelf, but there’s a huge pain for me in reading some books I own (that get into the 500+ page size) and that’s why I want to move toward e-readers.

E-reader or paper.

I use a good mixture of both.

If I really love a book or a series… I want it on my shelf. I also buy a number of second hand books.

Ebooks are usually cheaper and easier for me to get new releases (I live in a rural area with no book store and slow post).

It’s also good to find new authors/self-published works.

Both are infinitely better than reading on an LCD screen.

Honestly I’ve bought my share of e-readers, tablets and electronic devices and have reading experiences that were alright, however I really enjoy paper books, I feel a stronger connection to a physical book and am more likely to finish a physical book because of it. I just love the feeling, smell and sensation of the paper. Plus I really missed the experience of people asking what im reading, or even recognizing the book I’m reading and spurring discussion. Admittedly it’s a bit rare, but it never happens in a tablet situation when people assume I’m playing a game or surfing the internet

I would love to transition to eBooks but that shit just isn’t as easy to feel progression with so I don’t end up finishing books as quickly. It’s like a never ending slog of fake page turns and I don’t have a finished book to place in my shelf like a trophy.

I think eBooks are the way to go, but they do have some caveats. The steam library effect is real, as is the temptation to bounce around book to book, half reading everything. This kind of thing may vary depending on how disciplined you are, but I get very excited very easily about different books. Also, to some degree you get what you pay for, and while super-cheap “Get all of X author’s works in one easy collection for just a dollar!” versions seem tempting, the amount of misprints and typos can be overwhelming. Also, know how far you’ve gotten in longer books can be difficult in cases where there are no page numbers.

The upshot though is that you now have all your books in one very light device, which you can take anywhere. The kindle (or whatever eInk thing you choose) is very nicely readable outdoors, and in the dark. Also, you don’t have to wedge all your books into bookshelves, or have to deal with moving them all when you move. Also, you will usually save money compared to physical books, and the savings can be huge.

It’s up to you what you prefer, but I will say that a cellphone never felt quite right for really getting into a book, but it is good for reading when you’re at a bar with your friends and they all start fucking around on their phones. There is a kindle app though, so you can read your books on your phone when you don’t have your kindle with you, which is also another plus for eReaders.

The thing that works best for me has been anything that’s in two columns, then I run it through k2pdfopt in order to make it single-column, then it’s an appropriate size for Kindle reading. If there aren’t a lot of equations or tables that are full width, then k2pdfopt can also reflow papers, but if you have large equations, tables, full width code, etc. then it tends to break down. A decent number of papers are also just readable in landscape mode, although you have to visit two screenfuls in order to read a page.

You know, the one you unlock after you slide the barcode parts of the machamp, machine, and machop cards through

I think there might have been a magikarp one too?

I use my phone the most. It’s always in my pocket, and the only time I really like to read is when I’m on transit, so it’s really convenient.

Audible man here my self.

E-readers are great if the book is something you are going to read “linearly”. You can’t beat a paper book if you need to do lots of back and forth, however. If space is a concern though, it’s hard not to feel good about e-books. Phones are the last resort. It’s more work to read on phones, and the eyestrain from the screens, etc etc.

As much as I hate needing a light source to use paper books, I love being able to touch words and trace sentences with my finger without them being inputs. And I love borrowing or receiving books that have been written in, underlined, etc.

Mostly Kindle these days. I’m terrible at remembering definitions, so having a dictionary is super handy.

Got a Kindle recently to make a move easier as I just didn’t want to bring up the clutter of all my old prose novels up and down several floors. I’m slowly getting all of my favorite books again on it (when I want to reread 'em, basically!) and I’m generally OK with it.

The biggest thing that matters to me is author intent. Most prose books don’t play with the physical space of the page as a part of the art itself, so I don’t mind bringing those over to digital. A book like House of Leaves, though? That I’m keeping on paper forever. Also, comics! Digital comics just do not work for me at all. I love big expensive hardcovers and small cheap manga volumes.

Most of my reading is in bed when I should be sleeping. So having the Kindle app on my phone prevents that late night reading from being Twitter.

I enjoy reading on a Kindle or Kobo, the e-ink ones anyway, more than I enjoy reading on a phone or laptop screen… but I also am more likely to be carrying my phone or laptop, and honestly if I’ve got an epub I want to read I’ll probably just read it on my phone before I can be bothered to go get my Kindle, plug it in, load in the epub, and then read that while I’ve still got my headphones in my phone so I can listen to a bit of music at the same time.

And I like a good paperback, but the library in my town doesn’t carry much and I can neither afford nor make space for every book I read. Plus, I like a lot of SFF short stories and a lot of those just aren’t published in a non-digital format anymore.

Anyone else still think Gameboy Advance peripheral when they see E-Reader?

For commuting or travel, I just use kindle on my phone. However, I prefer to get books I really like in physical form, especially box-sets for series. My mom had four huge bookshelves overladen (literally sagging shelves). Growing up with that library was so awesome, so it has been a goal of mine to assemble my own library.

I’ll probably get an e-reader at some point, but I would also like to have a physically impressive library one day. With a rolling ladder. There’s just something pleasing about sitting at my desk and looking at all my books. It calms me.

I still just like the flexibility of pen on paper. Cross things out, draw arrows, post post-its wherever. If I find a program that provides that flexibility to take notes just perfectly spur of the moment I’ll jump on it, but haven’t found that yet.