E3/Summer Game Festival 2022

From the now semi-annual Keighley’s to the merged Microsoft/Bethesda showcase and a half dozen indie directs in-between, it is once again time for E̶3̶ the summer game announcements season. Feel free to discuss what you hope to see this year, the announcements and other news, or the conferences themselves - including last week’s Sony State of Play.

Scheduled Showcases

Sony State of Play - June 2nd, 3:00pm PST/6:00pm EST
Black Voices in Gaming - June 8th, 10:00am PST/1:00pm PST
Summer Game Festival - June 9th, 11:00am PST/2:00pm EST
Day of the Devs: SGF Edition - June 9th, immediately after the Summer Game Festival
Devolver Direct - June 9th, 3:00pm PST/6:00pm EST
Tribeca Games Spotlight - June 10th, 12:00pm PST/3:00pm EST
Guerrilla Collective - June 11th, 8:00am PST/11:00am EST
Wholesome Direct - June 11th, 9:30am PST/12:30pm EST
Future of Play Direct - June 11th, 10:30am PST/1:30pm EST
Future Games Show - June 11th, 12:00pm PST/3:00pm EST
Xbox & Bethesda Games Showcase - June 12th, 10:00am PST/1:00pm EST
PC Gaming Show - June 12th, 12:30pm PST/3:30pm EST
Capcom Showcase - June 13th, 3:00pm PST/6:00pm EST
Xbox Games Showcase Extended - June 14th, 10:00am PST/1:00pm EST

2 Likes

This is the first time I’m hearing about Wholesome Games, and I’ve scrolled through their site as a result. Interesting and something I might keep an eye on, mostly because games that have ‘wholesome’ vibes tend to be pretty relaxing, short, and also affordable. The last two points are crucial to me now that I no longer live in the U.S. and also have a hard time focusing on one thing for a long period of time.

Devolver is… my sticking point. They’ve published a handful of games I’ve found really interesting (Red Strings Club, Gris, Always Sometimes Monsters, Carrion) and a few I have yet to pick up but am tentatively interested in (Weird West, Inscryption). But the presentations of theirs that I remember were just… not… great. They were bad. The word I’m looking for is ‘bad’. I want to see what they’ll publish, but my tolerance for video as a form of information sharing is at an all-time low. I’ll probably check out an article for these later.

2 Likes

For me I don’t think anybody can top Sony’s state of play but I’d like to be pleasantly surprised.

1 Like

Season: A Letter to the Future looked so incredibly good I’m almost certainly going to break my ‘no new game purchases’ rule to pick it up immediately.

1 Like

It seems reasonably likely that Obsidian will unveil a new game on the Bethesda showcase. My hunch: a new Alpha Protocol.

I love that it’s more or less a community initiative to show off a lot of cool games. Even if I don’t care for the “wholesome” moniker (and the organizers are the first to point out its flaws) it’s always a good show. Probably the only one of these I’ll watch live, because most of the corporate presentations are boring as heck even when they show interesting games.

2 Likes

For me, the most interesting/exciting/unexpected games will probably in one of the smaller showcases - something Devolver will be publishing or that pops up for a minute or two in Wholesome Games. That stuff’s hard to predict though, so my gamer lizard brain is pondering the Microsoft-Bethesda showcase.

What’s Arkane Lyon up to? Are they just porting Deathloop to Xbox or assisting Arkane Austin on Redfall, or are they working on something new? How far along is Machinegames and their Indiana Jones? (My biggest W from Microsoft would be a highly improbable “also, we’re working on Wolfenstein III” from Machinegames). Any hint of Gears 6 on the horizon? How’s Avowed coming along? Starfield got delayed, but will it have a big showcase?

The back half of 2022 looks pretty quiet for major games, and especially for Microsoft exclusives, so I wonder if there’ll be a lot of tentative, far-future announcements to keep people on the hook, or a blitz of Game Pass gets (Deathloop ought to lose its PS5 exclusivity in September - it popping up on Game Pass seems a given, but will it be a straight port or any kind of expanded version? Perhaps some DLC launching at the same time? Pure speculation, of course)

2 Likes

I’m going to guess that Microsoft leans hard on “new to Xbox” games and DLC for existing games to anchor their 2022. Like, Deathloop is a given, there’s got to be an update on Forza Horizon 5 and Halo Infinite content, and there’s been rumors floating around about a Gears remaster collection and an XBLA version of GoldenEye 007. And I’d wager that a big fall game will get a Gamepass day one release, though I’m not sure which one exactly.

Also, just putting it out in the universe, an Elite Series 3 controller would be pretty sweet.

EDIT: Oh! Forza Motorsport is almost guaranteed to be their big fall game. Now it makes sense that the internet is talking about Xbox having no games. Gamers are categorically blind to racing games.

2 Likes

So the Microsoft purchase of Activision-Blizzard has not gone through yet, but I wonder if we’ll see this year’s Call of Duty launching on Game Pass? That kind of third party (for now) get usually involves cutting a large cheque so I don’t know if the pending acquisition makes it more or less likely. But if not CoD, I think you’re still totally right that something attention-grabbing will wind up on Game Pass.

1 Like

Halo Infinite feels way too finite at the moment. There has to be some single player/campaign expansion they’ve been working on. Still waiting for co-op as well. Feels like Halo Infinite just came and went. The game felt as if a lot of stuff was probably cut from it but I suppose it could be the other way around given how tortured it’s development was.

I’d be really into a XBLA version of Goldeneye, but Perfect Dark is right there and is a much better game. I wonder if that’ll be a sudden release?

I reckon a tease for Gears 6 has to be on the cards. A whole game without JD… and probably more Marcus . I feel Gears maybe in a bit of a Halo predicament though - 4 and 5 were fine but think Gears had it’s time.

2 Likes

Y’know, it’s funny you bring this up, because I swear there was a rumor a few months ago that Obsidian was in preliminary talks to do another New Vegas game. I didn’t put that much stock in it because they already have Grounded, Avowed, and The Outer Worlds 2 and people talk about stuff all the time, but now that all of that stuff is under one roof, who’s to say

But! On to the rest of the thread. That Sony State of Play did not speak to me (although Stray is finally coming out and Season: A Letter to the Future looked like a thing I would check out at some point), but if last year is any indication, Sony’s E3-sized State of Play will be this fall sometime. I don’t really have anything to offer w/r/t the various indie streams; I wish them good fortune and hope to check some of that stuff out.

Geoff Keighley I believe has the Modern Warfare 2 campaign demo, the Callisto Protocol gameplay reveal, the Cuphead expansion, and probably like…new Fortnite and Fall Guys stuff. I know the “ongoing games” are of interest to a substantial slice of the gaming public; it just doesn’t do anything for me when the World Premiere Guy introduces Rick and Morty and Jak and Daxter flossing on top of a lovingly-recreated Lincoln Memorial for Fortnite’s Fourth of July celebration.

Microsoft is an interesting one because their two big 2022 games are now 2023 games. I know people will be excited about Forza Motorsport, but it had been my impression that Horizon had kind of eaten Turn 10’s lunch a bit. Redfall and Starfield will still be there in some capacity (I imagine that if we’re getting Todd Howard Story Hour this year, it will be in the Extended show). Lots of Phil Spencer talking about how cool Game Pass is - they’ll probably do some kind of “Everything you see today will be available day and date on Game Pass” thing. FFVII Intergrade will come to Xbox at some point. One of the two AAA games currently slated for this fall (Forspoken and Gotham Knights, by my current count) might wind up on Game Pass. Any company Microsoft has acquired who has not yet put out their CG “Now Hiring” trailer is probably due but the list is so long I lose track.

And to call a couple of shots in particular: MachineGames Indiana Jones game will have something that’s probably a target render, Doom: Forever “Now Hiring” trailer, Gears 6 announced with some early gameplay footage (target release Fall 2023), and a glowing neon sign that basically says "New Vegas 2 when we get around to it

Well, I feel a bit silly now because I had completely missed or forgotten about Avowed. Most likely it’ll be a proper reveal of that, then? Eora is Sawyer’s playing field, after all, and it’s been four years since his team wrapped up Deadfire.

Capcom enters the fray

3 Likes

Dragon’s Dogma 2 or bust.

But yeah, I’m excited to see what Josh Sawyer is working on in the Bethesda/Microsoft thing. I’ll pick up whatever he’s putting down. Rumor has it Resident Evil 4 will get an extended look at the Summer Gamefest thing as the stuff shown at Sony’s State of Play was more of a teaser.

5 Likes

Dragon’s Dogma 2 is my #1 Dream Game from any of the AAA studio/publisher showcases, but I’m interested to see Avowed or another Obsidian RPG, and Wolfenstein 3 would be a delight.

Most of the games that get me excited are indie games, though, so I can’t quite say ‘hope we see Y this year!’ But if I were going to put out a few moods, I would love to see an indie RPG in the Earthbound/Undertale tradition try to redo and innovate on the rhythm mechanics of Mother 3. And I’m hitting a point where I could use my new Stardew Valley, not necessarily ‘Stardew Valley 2’ (although I am looking forward to the chocolatier game the developer is working on), but something that can occupy that same space of ‘reliable game I can spend 8 hours playing to tune everything out’. I’ve played a lot of good sims, farming sims and life sims and fishing sims, some of which I liked more than Stardew (like Ooblets!)… but none of them have had the same ‘easy to get lost in’ quality.

4 Likes

Honestly, the thing I would find the most exciting is somebody showing me something

1. cool
  2. I didn’t know about
  3. dated this year
  4. that makes its date

If that’s a space janitor with Big Thoughts about capitalism, awesome. If that’s a $300 million space marine gun-a-thon, awesome.

1 Like

Black Voices in Gaming + Guerilla Collective have a stream tomorrow, 10:00am PST/1:00pm EST! There were some great trailers in last year’s BViG showcase, so I recommend this one for indie fans.

I have updated the first post in this thread to include BViG and Capcom, and time changes for Saturday.

2 Likes

I’m really looking forward to what/if Devolver shows much from Terra Nil. one of my top demos i tried at the last summer game fest.

1 Like

Naughty Dog’s officially remaking The Last Of Us. I know ND really likes to do things like this as a sort of warm-up exercise and some folks on Twitter are pretty excited but is this a thing folks want?

I don’t like The Last of Us at all, so I can’t say I’m going to buy it, but if it’s a remake in the sense that they are basically just rebuilding the game in TLOU2’s engine with all of those neat accessibility features, but not, like, dragging the entire cast back to rerecord their lines and everything… sure, why not, I guess. EA did it eith Mass Effect.

Oh I don’t think anybody’s coming back to rerecord lines or anything like that; it’ll probably be like what they did the, er, last time they remade The Last Of Us: they’re probably upgrading their in-house engine to run natively on PS5 and either upgrading or making new tooling to be able to do the kinds of things they think their games are going to need to do. It’s certainly a very reasonable undertaking from a production perspective - taking some time out to get your tooling and backend stuff nailed down without having to do a lot of design fiddling - but I can’t help but find it weird that Sony’s like “You want to buy this game again, right?”