EA and Ubisoft Imagine a Future Where Gaming Is Your Literal Job

Over the past week or so, all the desperate flailing about the so-called "metaverse" took a step forward as major video game companies like Ubisoft and EA announced their belief to investors that NFTs and blockchain tech are the future of the industry. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/3abn8b/ea-and-ubisoft-imagine-a-future-where-gaming-is-your-literal-job
2 Likes

The idea of toiling away at some mediocre, outdated collectathon in Ubisoft’s crypto mines (incidentally, the same company with an ongoing lawsuit regarding their neglect and enabling of a culture of sexual harassment and worker abuse) doesn’t sound particularly appealing, really.

But I won’t be surprised if a game of this nature did well with the cryptogamer crowd. Though I wonder, can the game run at a crisp 60 FPS, 4K if most of the graphics card is being dedicated to the crypto bit?

6 Likes

The only gaming company I will accept NFT’s from is Sega and only if it results in the return of the Chao garden.

4 Likes

With the power of Crypto Optimized DLSS!

…I hope this doesn’t become true.

There’s a part of me that thinks the idea of all of these crypto-centric games looking like bad PS1 games to not hog the graphics card is karmic retribution.

But yeah, unlocking the Adjective Weapon of Verb in Ubisoft’s NFT-powered “Dungeon Mania” whose only “unique” characteristic is a color defined by whatever integer the NFT coughs up sounds about as appealing as a trip to the dentist.

2 Likes

It’s combining the worst, most abusive aspects of pay2win microtransaction/gacha/lootbox games with the environmentally destructive power of NFTs.

No thanks, fuck this, fuck you Yves for even suggesting it.

5 Likes

Not just Yves, sadly. Everybody’s looking at it with $$$$$$ in their eyes. The only thing that I find encouraging about this is that EA said the same thing about Star Wars games and we saw what didn’t happen

2 Likes

For them it’s a win-win, they only have to make your life so crappy than even a PS1 exploitative gambling game will look like a form of relief.

This post was sponsored by Capital: the fastest way to make exciting things lame: first space travel, now videogames, next your entire life. But hey, you got a consolation token for joining so don’t complain or we’ll have to unleash our armed robot dogs.

2 Likes

I really don’t think Ubisoft and EA are at the forefront of the future of gaming. Future of monetizing gaming? Sure.

2 Likes

Ubisoft’s usually the first company into the fray when a new technology drops but real software innovation happens elsewhere.