Edgar Wright Is Weighing a Baby Driver Sequel at Sony’s Behest

Sony, pleased by Baby Driver’s critical acclaim and box office return, is interested in another installment. “The studio have asked me to think about writing a sequel and it is one of the ones that I might do a sequel to because I think there’s somewhere more to go with it in terms of the characters,” Wright told Empire’s podcast. “Baby has got to a new place.”

…“Most sequels you have to contrive something so they go back to square one, unless there’s somewhere deeper for them to go. I think with Baby Driver there’s more that you can do in that realm, and I sort of have an idea that if you did another [film] you would subvert his involvement in the crime in a different way so he’s not the apprentice anymore,” Wright said.

I feel like so much of the appeal came from the simple fact it wasn’t a sequel so this strikes me as taking entirely the wrong lesson from this.

No thank you. That story is done and it wrapped up in a great way. It would render all of Baby Driver pointless if he got pulled back into a life of crime for “one more job”. Honestly, Wright should do to Baby Driver what he and Simon Pegg did with the Cornetto trilogy. Have a thematic throughline linking a series of films but tell completely independent stories in each one.

I can’t think of any story reason to revisit these characters. The movie doesn’t leave loose ends, and the one question that I maybe have (spoiler: does Baby’s hearing come back?) if you forced me to come up with an unanswered question is not a strong hook to justify another round with these characters.