Elden Ring Is Jackass The Video Game

In Elden Ring, every death is an elaborate, and hilarious, piece of physical comedy.

My fianceé is a big fan of the comedian Bob Einstein, who you might recognize as Marty Funkhauser from Curb Your Enthusiasm. One of Einstein’s most famous characters is Super Dave Osborne, a professional daredevil who usually gets elaborately injured during his stunts. The key to most of the Super Dave sketches is the long set up for every joke. By the time you get to the punchline of Super Dave’s physical injury, you forget it’s coming.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/epxknm/elden-ring-is-jackass-the-video-game
3 Likes

I’m as big an Arrested Development fan as they come, but gat dang kids these days are straight disrespecting Bob Einstein by not leading with the Super Dave show! It was absolutely brilliant physical comedy.

(I’m seeing now that it was a Global TV production, so maybe this is weird CanCon exposure that the Americans didn’t get?)

In any case, I totally agree with Gita about all the hilarious ways one can die in Elden Ring. Souls cruelty plus open world randomness is a guaranteed formula for hilarious deaths. Can’t wait to see what videogamedunkey does with this toolset.

6 Likes

I like that I know it’s a Gita piece just by the title.

6 Likes

Does this mean the Jackass video game is the Dark Souls of Jackass games?

1 Like

Alternatively, I’d argue that it’s the Roundabout meme in video game form.

1 Like

*makes absolutely no progress on a boss for the 27th attempt in a row* I’m actually not mad, I’m laughing, this is hilarious, this is peak comedy.

3 Likes

The other day I saw someone say Monster Hunter should have an easy mode “because it’s supposed to be a power fantasy”. Since I saw that take, I started paying more attention to how Mon Hun and Souls streamers react when they die. 90% of the time they laugh at the attack that killed them, even if they’re speedrunning and that death makes them lose a lot of time.

It’s weird that so many AAA games are designed to make the player always feel hypercompetent regardless of how well you’re doing, that we need articles like this to explain that it’s funny when a giant yeets you off a cliff in a ravine and you respawn at the checkpoint like Wile E Coyote.

3 Likes

I mean, with streamers I can see why they’re reacting with laughter. Their jobs are to create content, and so it’s not really “time wasted” because they got the footage and are basically being paid to have these wacky hijinks. If on the other hand you’re an average person sneaking in an hour of Elden in between obligations, it can feel really crummy to lose 15k runes on a stray ballista shot you never saw coming.

And that’s not to say the average person can’t find From games funny. I just think it’s a bit of a learned reaction for a lot of folks. It was for me at least.

3 Likes