Elder Scrolls Online: Xbox players? + mental health stuff

Feel like I need to put a few disclaimers up front here:

1. I’ve been diagnosed with a form of cyclothymic disorder for a couple of years now - I’m not exactly bi-polar II, but my symptoms are very close to it in terms of big ups, big downs, etc. I waited 20+ years to see a doctor and get diagnosed, so lots of self-image issues built up around the disorder. I’m medicated now and in a much better place than I was a few years back, but my mental history has made interacting with people out in the “real world” difficult and, in general, I avoid social situations, not because I can’t navigate them, but because I generally dislike them.

2. As you might have guessed, I have a hard time meeting new friends. I’m over 30, I work from home, I have a wife and son, and in general I don’t get out unless there’s a movie, a record store, or doing something with my family involved. I love hiking, but I go hiking in remote places with people I know and trust.

3. All this said, I stopped playing games online with anyone other than my brother a long, long time ago. Toxic communities, toxic discussions, and generally negative and/or super-conservative dialog and insults turned me off hard enough I just stopped going online to game. This was over 10 years ago.

But, recently, I bought an Xbox One X and a Game Pass subscription. Tons of great single player games thankfully, but also a couple of multiplayer games that seem kind of interesting to me. Despite my distaste for Bethesda’s business practices and massive screw-ups over the last however many years, Elder Scrolls Online is especially attractive because I don’t have to pay for a subscription and the core game is available as part of Game Pass anyway. Might as well try, right?

But it’s not the kind of thing I would want to play alone. Being new to consoles and hesitant to friend anyone I haven’t known for a long time anyway, I was wondering if anyone here knew about Xbox ESO groups/clans/players that lean more toward the sympathetic and friendly? Maybe in a way that some people would call leftist? What I mean is: are there groups that people know about that are relatively free from toxic conversation, conservative values (homophobic, authoritarian, hyper-masculine), and etc.? I’d love to play with some people now and again, but I’m not really sure how to find people in the Xbox environment.

Any help or discussion or links anyone could provide would be much appreciated. Thanks for reading through all for a simple request! haha

4 Likes

I can’t say that I have a great familiarity with ESO, but I can understand the trepidation towards jumping into an online game without knowing others in it.

I don’t know much about the game itself, but if nothing else, I’d be happy to give it a go along with you (also have X1X and Game Pass) and see how it goes!

Much of the online gaming world is a cesspool of terribleness, but I think you’ll find a pretty welcoming and understanding community here. Feel free to add me on XBL: GjallarSean

3 Likes

Awesome, thanks! I’m going to download it today then and maybe get a character started. I have to game on a schedule, but I can at least get stuff setup. Send me a PM when you get the chance and maybe we can find a day or night to give it a shot?

1 Like