End of Year 2018: Favorite Music

Here’s some reckless shit that I can’t take back: Ka is the greatest lyricist I have ever heard in my entire life. This year he released a project called Orpheus vs. The Sirens under the name The Hermit and the Recluse and it is one of the greatest rap albums I’ve ever had the pleasure of listening to. So clever and dense with wordplay that I pick up on something else in it every single time I listen. He is incredible, massively underrated an overlooked (though this increasingly seems intentional on his part). It’s a beautiful, genuine, fascinating album in so many ways

Some highlights for me this year. In every case the entire album is great and worth checking out:

off the top of my head:

Because my brain is broken, my favorite music this year is the X But Every Other Beat Is Removed meme. Here are some of my favorites:

Smot Crim

Des’pito

get lucky but beats 2 and 4 are swapped

Megalovania but beats 2 and 4 are swapped

Not gonna lie. That Get Lucky beat swap slaps.

• Palm - Rock Island (Deerhoofian mathy eccentricity, centred around MIDI’d up guitars [as in triggering MIDI samples via guitar, I believe, like Disco Inferno did in the '90s]. If it sounds up your street, definitely make a point of seeing them live.)