End of Year 2018: Favorite Re-release

Favorite Re-release

Games exist beyond their release years. I think I played more pre-2018 games than so-called genuine ‘new releases’ – but they were new to me. The nature of end-of-year discussions for a broad audience, however, does encourage a certain amount of focus on the present to help collate experiences together.

With that said, 2018 also was not just a year about games released in 2018. Whether games ported from old consoles to new, remakes of old games, or a spiffy remaster or two, we’ve had a bumper crop of solid re-releases this year. This groups together some pretty disparate types of re-releases, but we feel that there is still a comparison to draw. We wanted to offer the space to ask about how older games in a new space have put a fresh sparkle on overlooked gems.

So, it’s over to you folks; give us your favourite re-release of 2018. P.S. Your vote doesn’t count extra if you copy & paste one of your from one of last year’s threads, but I admire your dedication to the bit.

Nomination Submissions

[click here for access to the submission form]

You will have until 5th January to nominate your games – this is our cut-off ahead of polling going live.

Remember: you can nominate up to three games, so be creative with your choices!

Be sure to check the Q&A section below if you have questions, otherwise feel free to reach out to one of us! We hope you enjoy this event and we’re excited to see what sorts of discussion each category inspires!

Q&A

Q: End of Year? What's that?

A: I’m glad you asked! Just head over to our pinned topic if you need a catch up! You can also find details on the process for the event here.

Q: How do I nominate a game?

A: To nominate a game, head on over to our google form and write down your submissions in the appropriate field. You may nominate up to three games and you will be able to edit this submission at any time by returning to the google form (before the nomination date closes).

As the nominations will be done externally, this thread will instead be the place to discuss what your favorites were and to make the case for them if you feel strongly. We welcome thoughtful posts about how you made your decision, as long as we keep it positive and respectful.

Q: When does the nomination process end?

A: The period of time to make your nominations will end January 5th, 2019.

Q: What games can I nominate?

A: For this category, we’re specifically looking for games that were released between 10th December 2017 - 15th December 2018.

Games that either entered Early Access or hit 1.0 during this period are eligible.

Ports, remakes, and remasters are not eligible.

Standalone games/expansions are eligible, however Downloadable Content (DLC) is not.

Mobile and browser games are eligible as long as they meet all other relevant criteria.

The moderation team reserves the right to remove any game from nomination if necessary.

Credits
  • Thank you to @Emily for the banner!

End of Year 2018: Waypoint Community's Favorites
End of Year 2018: Vote for your favs!

Thank you for adding this category because Hollow Knight was the best game I’ve played this year in so many ways.

Oh, er, the other two games I nominated were Yakuza Kiwami 2 and Unexplored on the Switch, if people are looking for ideas.

Mad that I forgot Hollow Knight, but I bet plenty of folks will have nominated it anyways.

I put forward Dark Souls Remastered, Sonic Mania Plus and World of Final Fantasy Maxima. First two I reckon will be well served too, but ima put my flag down for Maxima. I missed it the first time around and I absolutely adore the thing. Wonderful JRPG comfort food, with genuinely life-changing improvements on the Pokemon formula. Bursting at the seams with love for both it’s own internal lore and the, uh, World of Final Fantasy. Absolutely lovely.

Was a late release and it flew under people’s radars even when it initially came out, but the Atelier Arland trilogy was just re-released on Switch and PS4.

Atelier Totori is a good video game.

As much as I love Hollow Knight, and I really do - it feels unfair for me to nominate it again given how hard I spruiked for it last year.

with that said, I put forward these three games:

Crypt of the NecroDancer got a switch release this year and it truly is just as perfect a platform as I could have imagined it would be for it. NecroDancer is by far my favourite contemporary roguelike and having it readily available on a handheld platform has been a godsend this year.

Lumines: Remastered was my first Lumines game and it was like a revelation, I had heard about the ways Lumines intertwines the music and the gameplay and the way that draws you into the rhythm of the game, but I really had no idea until I played it. Also the soundtrack is full of Very Early 00’s EDM Bangers, and I love it.

Sunset Overdrive is a game I’ve wanted to play for a long, long time but never had an opportunity to until now, when it finally got a PC release. It does feel dated in world design and dialogue, sure but I found that to be an endearing trait and besides, not enough games let you play a snarky deadpool-esque asshole girl and I relished that. And besides all that, the bouncy combat and movement systems really bring the rest of the game up - just moving around Sunset City was a ton of fun in and of itself.

I promised myself I wouldn’t go back, that it was a part of my life I had put behind me, I swore that I was finished… And then they went and put Diablo on Switch, the heinous bastards.

I hate the amount of time I’ve spent on Diablo III this year, because it is more or less a carbon copy of what I did the last time around on the 360. There is something so mindless about the procedure of going through the game again and again and again, but for whatever reason I keep playing the damn thing.

Diablo 3 is weaponized monotony, a finely crafted device meant for you to almost barely interact with while the numbers go up on the screen, and it fucking works. For as annoying as it is that I’ve spent all those hours on Diablo I also can’t help but begrudgingly acknowledge just what a marvelous time sink it is.

Spyro Reignited Trilogy is a pretty great collection of classic games on which Toys for Bob did a pretty dang good job prettying up. These were probably my favorite games as a kid. And aside from these being incredibly nice looking remakes, the games hold up way better than I thought they would. It’s still just a lot of fun to try to find everything in each level.

Also the Kingdom Hearts games and Hollow Knight are some great games I’ve been playing cause of the recent re-releases so those are my other votes.

Damn, I’m probably just going to call this the Nintendo Switch category and call it a day.

Bayonetta 2. You know what’s awesome? Both Bayonetta games. You know what sucks? Having an awesome Bayonetta game tied to an unloved console and languishing in obscurity. It’s fantastic to have a way to play both games without dragging out my 360 or Wii U, and they both play fantastic on the hardware even in handheld.

Night in the Woods. This is a game that’s practically designed to be played late at night, curled up on the couch with headphones on. The art design really pops in the handheld mode and it makes the whole feeling more intimate somehow.

Katamari Damacy Reroll. Hey, remember that awesome, upbeat little game that had you grinning the entire time even though it wasn’t really that challenging? Remember how there hasn’t been a good one in like ten years?

I absolutely agree about the Switch. If there was a “Favorite Re-release Console” it would easily win that category :wink: - I’ve done a lot of gaming on the bus this year (and thus on the Switch) and as a consequence I’ve been playing a lot of (very excellent) re-releases. Between indie ports and Wii U re-releases it’s fertile ground.

Anyway, here are my cases for my noms:

Hollow Knight - Didn’t get a chance to play this in 2017 but dang is it a perfect on-the-go game. What really stands out for me is the atmosphere and world-design. Hollow Nest felt like a real place rather than a videogame level, while at the same time just being a joy to explore and uncover all the secrets. This is the first time a Souls-like really called to me, but now I’m thinking of digging deeper in to the genre (Ashen next, maybe?).

Night in the Woods - My partner and I re-played NITW this fall and it made us both cry again. It’s probably going to be an autumn tradition now. Still some of the best characters and writing I’ve encountered in games.

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker - This game is just too cute! It’s like an anthology of adorable puzzle worlds. One of my favorite de-stressing games of the year.

Burnout Paradise:Remastered- I mostly missed the original release, so having the opportunity to revisit this game on PS4 has been extremely rewarding. I have some quibbles about two seemingly competing game mechanics (different types of cars versus the express intention of having events around nearly every corner), but the core loop is incredibly fun. The events are fun and flying around that map is just exhilarating.

It’s also interesting seeing those mechanics being refined and re-imagined up to NFS:Rivals.

God damn, I had managed to somehow forget that Burnout Paradise Remastered came out this year.

A lot of games got rereleased, so I’d like to shout out ones I haven’t played but think are worth noting:

• Killer7
  • Zone of the Enders
  • Ikaruga (came out for Switch)

Spyro Reignited Trilogy is one of the best remakes i’ve ever seen.
The changes in art design i think are all welcome updates to the ps1 originals and they feel maybe even a tiny bit smoother to play than the originals. But they’re still those Original games at heart.

My only problem is the whole subtitle kerfuffle. The game should really have those and i hope they come in a patch at some point.

I love Katamari so much, and it’s almost a tragedy that they re-released it when they did. I almost wish they had basically just waited til next year to bother. Okami is another re-release that happened recently, and that game holds up well in terms of play style, though parts of its story are just as problematic and unappealing as they’ve always been.

The re-release that really got my hype was Bastion, which came out on Switch this year. The port of it was very good, and made a lot of the challenges and weapons that were difficult to aim on PC actually work fairly well. I did a few of the Nowhere challenges I’d only ever watched videos of, and even turned on a few idols, and when I finished it, I chose to do a New Game+ b/c I just couldn’t get enough.

Oh, also Transistor came out on the Switch too, I guess.

Two games on my nominee list I haven’t seen mentioned yet:

Divinity Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition
This one feels like it’s stretching the definition a little, as the PC version came out last year and the console ports came out this year. Still, it’s one of the best CRPGs ever made, and the console editions are great.

Shadow of the Colossus
The Shadow of the Colossus remake came out this year. A month and a half into this year!! How is that even possible?? I can remember speculating whether the improved graphical fidelity would wipe out some of the mystery of the game when it was coming out. That has to have been at least 15 years ago. Criminy. The arrow of time is a screwy bastard. (btw - the answer is no, it doesn’t reduce the mystery of the world, but it does drive home the villainy of Wander’s actions.) This is the definitive way to play the game.

Hey folks!

With the deadline for phase 1 fast approaching we wanted to remind everyone to get their nominations in if they haven’t already. The google forms will stop taking submissions by 10pm GMT (2pm PST / 5pm EST) on Saturday.

That said, these threads will remain open so that people can continue to share their thoughts on specific categories/games for the remainder of the event. We hope you’ve enjoyed the event thus far and we’re excited to unveil the the voting phase over the weekend!