End of Year 2018: Gritty Presents: Favorite Fighting Game

Gritty Presents: Favorite Fighting Game

This category is about that moment when you think, “I’ve got it all figured out, I’m ready to take on my roommate’s Samus.” Whether you actually succeed or not, you learn. More about them, their playstyle, and as importantly – where you can improve. It’s that moment you’re at a Tekken 7 local and decide you wanna go all the way and main Panda because, well, they’re a dang Panda isn’t that the coolest thing? Or it’s that moment when you decide on the Biggest Stage that you’re actually better suited to play on the player 1 side, either because you prefer it that way or you’re trying to mindgame your opponent, or both.

Fighting games allow for people of all skill levels to engage with games competitively, and in 2018, players had a wide selection of strong choices. Let us know your favorites, and why. Maybe it’s the first fighting game that truly clicked with you. Maybe you just got the new version of your favorite and have spent countless hours refining tech. Maybe it’s mostly about the community, or the way you engage with Fighting Games most is as a spectator.

Oh… would you look at that, a new challenger approaches. An orange monster in a hockey jersey. Show us what you got.

Nomination Submissions

[click here for access to the submission form]

You will have until 5th January to nominate your games – this is our cut-off ahead of polling going live.

Remember: you can nominate up to three games, so be creative with your choices!

Be sure to check the Q&A section below if you have questions, otherwise feel free to reach out to one of us! We hope you enjoy this event and we’re excited to see what sorts of discussion each category inspires!

Q&A

Q: End of Year? What's that?

A: I’m glad you asked! Just head over to our pinned topic if you need a catch up! You can also find details on the process for the event here.

Q: How do I nominate a game?

A: To nominate a game, head on over to our google form and write down your submissions in the appropriate field. You may nominate up to three games and you will be able to edit this submission at any time by returning to the google form (before the nomination date closes).

As the nominations will be done externally, this thread will instead be the place to discuss what your favorites were and to make the case for them if you feel strongly. We welcome thoughtful posts about how you made your decision, as long as we keep it positive and respectful.

Q: When does the nomination process end?

A: The period of time to make your nominations will end January 5th, 2019.

Q: What games can I nominate?

A: For this category, though we’re mostly interested in highlighting games that released this year, we recognise that fighting games tend to live on in the scene well after launch. Therefore, you’re welcome to nominate any fighting game that received a new major release in 2018, whether that means dlc fighters, new seasons of content or new platform releases.

The moderation team reserves the right to remove any game from nomination if necessary.

Credits
  • Thank you to @Emily for the banner!

End of Year 2018: Vote for your favs!
End of Year 2018: Waypoint Community's Favorites

Actual question: Does Lethal League Blaze count as a fighter?

For sure. If you can see it’s included in the category banner so we encourage votes for games of similar ilk. We understand that there’s some gray areas concerning whether certain games fall into a genre or not so we’ll help clear up what we feel fits the category.

i gotta rep for Slap City here! indie dev team Ludosity decided to make a platform fighter with characters from all across their diverse oeuvre (Ittle Dew, Princess Remedy, etc.) and it’s accessible as hell, with solid netcode for a PC-only fighting game. at like 8 bucks i can’t recommend it enough for anyone who misses smash but hasn’t got a switch at hand.

I didn’t spend a great deal of time playing fighting games this year but I did watch a whole bunch of them being played. There are so many moments from this year that stick out in my mind as great examples of how, at their best, fighting games resonate with communities of people in a way that just makes them the hypest thing ever to be around. Whether it was watching the Waypoint crew make our boy Gritty in SC6, watching the reactions to every Super Smash Bros Ultimate reveal, or watching the match-ups at this year’s EVO.

This was the first time I ever got into watching the EVO livestreams and boy did I pick a good year to tune in. The Dragon Ball Fighter Z grand finales match between Sonic Fox and Goichi is one of the most edge-of-my-seat experiences I’ve had all year. It was such a good match and I can’t wait to see what that rivalry brings in the future. Speaking of, extremely happy to see Sonic Fox take the award at the VGAs earlier this month, another great moment:

Oh, I also bought a fight stick this year. Have I used it to great success so far? Ehhhhh. Still, more than any other year I had a blast paying attention to fighting games and I’m excited to follow them a little more closely in the future. If I had to pick the games that I had the best time watching this year, they’d be:

Dragon Ball Fighter Z
Super Smash Bros Ultimate
BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle

Undernight Inbirth Exe Late[st] is the best fighting game nobody played this year.

It was a crazy good year for fighting games tbh. Dragonball FighterZ, Smash Bros and Soulcalibur are all crazy good but I feel that some respect needs to go to Pocket Rumble.

Pocket Rumble is a two button fighting game aping the style of Neo Geo Pocket fighting games and it’s both super fun and surprisingly deep. I actually mainly dropped off it because as with any game that doesn’t quite take off like that, the people who are playing online are brutal.

1. Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late[st]

Bit of a weird one in terms of “releases” just because it’s, as the title might suggest, more of a Super Turbo update. Was out in Japanese arcades for a couple of years prior to finally, mercifully making it to PS4, and then taking another several months to make it to PS4 outside of Japan this year. The console version at least brought with it a new character or two, a world-class tutorial, and a VN-style story mode for its chuuni-as-hell characters to star in. I think that if I were to sit down and focus on any of the myriad of fighting games on the market these days, it would be this and Tekken 7. Unfortunately, the English release felt like it was more or less sent out to die, releasing a few weeks after a Street Fighter V update, and a week or two after Dragon Ball.

Also, this standoff was in the very first replay I watched upon going online, so… pretty good way to start?

1. BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle

Like most tag fighters, BBTAG probably looks like pure nonsense to anybody unfamiliar with the game. More than just standard traditional assist calls, BBTAG allows players to actively switch between their characters while both are on the screen, which regularly turns things into a big bag of wild. I think this game more or less accomplished what Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite was trying to accomplish: low entry barrier, high skill ceiling, and a lot of room for players to come up with some extreme nonsense (while also having enough defensive mechanics in the game to combat that nonsense.)

1. Koihime Enbu RyoRaiRai

Having most of its popularity over the years in Japanese arcades, an update to the ultimate footsies-based fighting game around that got a western release at a cheap price this summer. While it’s obvious eroge roots will serve as an entry barrier for some people, this game is maybe the best example of the oft claimed but rarely true “this game will teach you how to play fighting games.” It is a complete distillation of how to read a screen in a 2D fighter, built entirely off of things like spacing, poking, whiff punishing, etc. If you ever get counter hit, you’ll hear the telltale sound of a gong going off to let you know that you’ll probably be bouncing around the screen for the next 10 seconds. It also somehow managed to pull off having less than 2 frames of input delay on PS4, which is borderline witchcraft for a fighting game on that platform these days.

All-in-all it was an extremely good year for fighting games, though future support for some releases is already beginning to look a bit concerning.

My number one choice for 2018 fighting game is Treadnauts (Tanks to the Skies!)

I didn’t find out about it until near the end of the year when it had been out for a while. Everything about it feels solidly designed and polished and it combines a bunch of good ideas from previous arena fighters with refreshing core mechanics. I maybe sometimes still have trouble remembering which way I’m going to move by pressing left when I’ve been camping on a wall for a while, but that’s on me. :sweat_smile:

Runners up:
TowerFall (Switch version with up to 6 players)
Nidhogg 2

Here is my complete and comprehensive argument for why UNDER NIGHT IN-BIRTH Exe:Late|st| is the best fighting game of 2018:

maybe i should buy this game :thinking:

Hey folks!

With the deadline for phase 1 fast approaching we wanted to remind everyone to get their nominations in if they haven’t already. The google forms will stop taking submissions by 10pm GMT (2pm PST / 5pm EST) on Saturday.

That said, these threads will remain open so that people can continue to share their thoughts on specific categories/games for the remainder of the event. We hope you’ve enjoyed the event thus far and we’re excited to unveil the the voting phase over the weekend!