End of Year 2018: What is Small Anyways?; Your Favorite Short Games & Games By Small Teams

End of Year 2018: What is Small Anyways?; Your Favorite Short Games & Games By Small Teams

It is easy to be overwhelmed by the bombast, the grandeur, and, most of all, the marketing, of large triple AAA games. Though AAA games are not the only ones to have received attention as major indie games with significant backing, either in terms of money, staff, or renown, have come to attention. This has developed at the same time that the world of “indie games” appears to be in crisis, as the original conception of what indie games are, and what money they should make, is crumbling.

Despite that, there are games and interactive works outside of those categories and outside of the determined area for “indie” games. We are leaving what that means somewhat ambiguous, and up to you… This category is for games that might not get tons of attention, that might be called “small”, but show effort and innovation. It is to talk about and bring to light games that you have stumbled upon, that defy tradition, or perhaps show a new direction for game, one that few might know about.

Now, what’s that “obscure” game you’re amazed everyone isn’t playing?

Discussion Thread

This category is not involved in our nomination/voting process and instead is all about discussing your favs!

Be sure to check the Q&A section below if you have questions, otherwise feel free to reach out to one of us! We hope you enjoy this event and we’re excited to see what sorts of discussion each category inspires!

Q&A

Q: End of Year? What's that?

A: I’m glad you asked! Just head over to our pinned topic if you need a catch up! You can also find details on the process for the event here.

Q: What is eligible to be discussed?

A: Though we’re still largely looking for discussion of things that released in 2018, given that this is a discussion thread separate from the nomination process we’re happy to be a little more lax on items that might fall into a grey area. You’re free to use your own judgement with that, and to reach out to us if there’s anything you’re not sure of.

Credits
  • Thank you to @Emily for the banner!

End of Year 2018: Waypoint Community's Favorites

Fugue in Void is an excellent little experience that I couldn’t recommend more! You make your way through a series of landscapes and architectural spaces and just take in the disconcerting beauty around you. The geometric interiors and brutalist cityscapes burned themselves into my brain. I dreamt about them for months after playing. There’s no real story to speak of, just room after room of perfect screenshot material. It’s not my favorite game of the year, but it’s stuck with me more than most of the bigger games I’ve played this year.

It only takes around 45 minutes to play, but it doesn’t have a save system, so you have to finish it in one sitting. It’s on sale on Itch right now!

Simmiland for me, it’s just so rewarding for multiple playthroughs. A card based God game that requires a lot of trial and error but is massively worth it.

I’m still in the process of playing through a bunch of small games at the end of the year here but i have to shout out Secret Little Haven

It’s a game about a trans girl discovering herself in the late 90’s. it’s an adventure game in the style of a virtual desktop with fake OS’s browsers , chat programs , text programs etc.

I found the story really moving and relatable and it’s only about 2 hours long.

But i should warn as it says on the games store page:
[CONTENT WARNINGS: Parental conflict, gaslighting, flashing visuals]

It’s a game that can get pretty emotionally intense at times but it’s probably the most emotional i’ve gotten over a game all year. I can’t recommend it highly enough if you think it’s something you can handle.

All Our Asias and one night, hot springs tickled my Butterfly Soup Asian representation itch this year.