End of Year: Favorite Fashion

Favorite Fashion

Hello everyone! This is a preliminary teaser of our end of the year programming. It is meant to get everyone here excited for it, but also for us to test out tweaks we’ve done to the nomination process. Even if this is not your favorite category, we would love it if you participated so we could get a sense of what works and what doesn’t!

It’s time to wear your Sunday best and strut down that catwalk! :high_heel:

Games let us do a lot of things not least of which is wear some good, good looks. This year we want to hear what in-game fashion you liked the most. What do we mean by fashion? Who can say! What we’re interested in is the games that you felt had those outfits that put everyone else to shame. Maybe it let you determine the costume and play dress-up, or maybe it was a character design that left you envious of their enticing style. It might not even be human fashion.

Whatever the case, we put the question to you: what were the games with the strongest looks and your favorite fashion?

Nomination Submissions

[click here for access to the submission form]

As this is part of a teaser for what’s to come, the nomination phase will be shorter and conclude the day we launch the rest of the event, on the 15th December.

Remember: you can nominate up to three games, so be creative with your choices!

Be sure to check the Q&A section below if you have questions, otherwise feel free to reach out to one of us! We hope you enjoy this event and we’re excited to see what sorts of discussion each category inspires!

Q&A

Q: End of Year? What's that?

A: I’m glad you asked! Just head over to our pinned topic if you need a catch up! You can also find details on the process for the event here.

Q: How do I nominate a game?

A: To nominate a game, head on over to our google form and write down your submissions in the appropriate field. You may nominate up to three games (separate by line break) and you will be able to edit this submission at any time by returning to the google form (before the nomination date closes).

As the nominations will be done externally, this thread will instead be the place to discuss what your favorites were and to make the case for them if you feel strongly. We welcome thoughtful posts about how you made your decision, as long as we keep it positive and respectful.

Q: When does the nomination process end?

A: The period of time to make your nominations will end 12/15/2018.

Q: What games can I nominate?

A: For this category, we’re specifically looking for games that were released between our cut-off date last year & our cut-off date this year (10th Dec 2017 - 15th Dec 2018).

Games that either entered Early Access or hit 1.0 during this period are eligible.

Ports, remakes, and remasters are not eligible.

Standalone games/expansions are eligible, however Downloadable Content (DLC) is not.

Mobile and browser games are eligible as long as they meet all other relevant criteria.

The moderation team reserves the right to remove any game from nomination if necessary.

Waypoint Community End of Year III

I’d say Hitman 2, if for no other reason than the fact that 47 can pull off literally any look

for those wondering what games are in the banner:

From Left to Right: Hitman 2 , Persona 5 Dancing in Starlight , Pokemon Let’s Go Eevee , The Missing: J.J. Macfield and the Island of Memories , and The Haunted Island a Frog Detective Game

does it have to be a game? or can I rightfully nominate catra’s suit in that one episode of she-ra?

I’m afraid this category is specifically games-only (there’s more details on eligibility in the Q&A section). However there will be other opportunities to yell about She-Ra and Catra’s suit in the future… :eyes:

I don’t know about best fashion, but I think we can all agree that the biggest fashion this year is coming out of Fortnite. Think about it, the biggest game (and cultural phenomenon) of the year was driven almost entirely by hot fashions. We started the year talking about John Wick and Rustlord, moved on to the Love Ranger, and then briefly went gaga over NFL team skins. Even now with the new season looming, the question on people’s minds are what new outfits can they strut around in next. If that’s not a fashion zeitgeist, I don’t know what is.

When I think of video-game clothes, I always think of Resonance of Fate, the game that I spent so much time customising the outfits, my parents thought it was a dress-up game! It pretty much single handedly got me interested in clothes shopping, and one day, I’d like to have one of those swing coats like Leanne has. Thankfully, it got a HD Remaster in October, so I’m technically able to nominate it!

Everyone in Torna: The Golden Country is the most fashionable person on Torna, it’s an astonishing feat.

Torna’s turned out to be a pretty major highlight for me this year. What a banger.

But I also got into Warframe this year and fashion is EVERYTHING in that game. I’m entirely driven by the desire to make more and more fabulous space frog ninjas.

I started playing RDR2 last night and spent 20 minutes flipping through a catalog looking at cowboy clothes. Guess what just got nominated.

I’m still kinda bummed that Sea of Thieves doesn’t have a custom character creator given the pretty impressive variety of body types on offer, but I am very happy with the pirate fashion. I live to look like I spend half my time sailing boats and half my time falling into the water.

I know it’s a limited selection but the suits in Spider-Man are fantastic and a really good use of nostalgia that acts as a reward for fans in the know rather than the main draw for the game. That comic suit is a technical feat in service of something genuinely cool.

Though there aren’t many outfits, I think Celeste shows a good amount of attention to its outfits and how they reflect our world. Madeline’s coat is something I would absolutely believe a girl in her 20s bought on her way to a mountain, and cover art and other in-game art show that the backpack and other details of her outfit are also thought out. At the same time, they refrain from getting too detailed.

Gave Unavowed a shout out. It’s all realistic, mostly casual outfits, but they all fit the characters really well and inform you to what they’re like, or actively work as contrast to their true selves (ie Logan looking like a stereotypical “thug” when he’s actually the most soft spoken, empathetic, and introspective member of the team).

It’s got to be Monster Hunter World for me. Just aesthetically speaking, I enjoy the myriad styles, silhouettes, and flourishes every armor set has. Sure, some sets are victims of egregious gender dimorphism where the female variant makes next to no practical sense (cough Nerigigante cough), but then there are also outfits that make me want them despite their otherwise lousy use-value. A stand out for me being the Rathian set, which has this marriage of aesthetics between the material ruggedness of a Medieval knight’s armor with the playfulness and exaggerated femininity of a Comme des Garcons dress. More than the story, seeing new monsters, or mastering the game’s combat, my driving force when playing MHW was finding out what the next new set would look like, and some of them – I feel – were absolutely worth the effort.

I’m gonna +1 @ligeti’s Monster Hunter World pick. Half of the game for me is fashion, and I will gladly take style over best defense/skills here. May I point you over here to my handsome hunter? Also, you can deck out your kitty companion, c’mon.

I’d also like to vouch for Soul Calibur VI. The game’s standard character’s outfits aren’t anything too special (but it is always a treat to discover what Voldo and Yoshimitsu lool like in the newest iteration).

The character creator though is where the game’s fashion really shines. I would totally love more clothing pieces for original characters in the game, but you can use the tools they havr to make some verrrrrry interesting stuff. Playing online, I’ve seen everything from a spot on 2B recreation, to a Dr. Manhattan, to a Trump. Hell, the Waypoint crew helped make Gritty during the Florence Project livestream, and I made an adequate Michaelangelo myself (that could eat Gritty alive).

Monster Hunter World!!! It’s got fashion, good weapons, and cat armor. It’s the first game I’ve played that made me take screenshots of my good, good cat fashion.

Persona 5 Dancing in Starlight because, well… it’s Persona 5 Dancing in Starlight. It’s just good anime bullshit.

While I’ve been enamored by Pokémon Let’s Go Eevee, I don’t think it does enough with character customization and fashion. Pokémon X/Y are still the best Pokémon games when it comes to fashion

idk about yall but i think the square in tetris effect is killing it

10%20PM

talk about a glow up

Forza Horizon 4 for me. I’ve had a lot of fun evolving my look there as I unlock more stuff

People have already mentioned my first two choices of Celeste and Hitman 2, but I present to you the ringer…

Pokemon Let’s Go

I AM MELTING these looks are absolutely fiery