Episode 388: Please Sir, No More Sliders

It was inevitable. Austin fell deep into a new roguelike deck builder so of course Cado and Rob had to check it out. Trials of Fire ate up a fair amount of Austin’s Sunday with it’s engaging hex based tactical combat, with mechanics that allow for easy card recycling so it very rarely feels like you have a wasted turn. Rob continued down his crime drama hole with Judgement, but is finding some of the combat encounters a bit too repetitive. Patrick is learning to take control over his life in Say No! More, the comedy game that has a strong mid-nineties comedy game feel. Then we dive back into the Food, er, Question Bucket to find new untold terrors.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://play.acast.com/s/vicegamingsnewpodcast/episode388-pleasesir-nomoresliders

Okay, someone should really address the Milk Street ad I got that’s pretending it’s conducting a survey for the podcast it’s playing on, i.e. Waypoint.

7 Likes

Is it pretending to be for Waypoint or is it just an ad that was clearly recorded for one podcast and put in front of others with little care? I’m never quite sure which.

It buries the name Milk Street into like 20 seconds of some rando going on about the necessity of the metrics from the survey for this podcast and just really goes out of its way to state the name so little that it is very confusing.

4 Likes

I agree it’s totally confusing, I just don’t know whether it’s intentional or not. It makes perfect sense as an ad played during that podcast, so maybe it just got added into the algorithm and here we are? If it’s trying to fool someone into thinking it’s for any podcast they’re listening to it’s not doing a great job, it just kind of sticks out like a sore thumb. I’m not confused into thinking it helps waypoint, I’m confused as to whether or not I’m actually supposed to be hearing it. Kind of like when I get ads for the superior luxury of Mercedes Benz. Do better robots, you’re barking up the wrong tree.

1 Like

Ad transcript:

“I’m putting a listener survey on our website then I hope you’ll take just a few minutes to fill it out. Of course there will be some questions about you, the usual demographic information, and all of this is in the cause, of course, of providing financial support for the show. To paraphrase Steve Martin in The Jerk, “this is not a profit deal.” We spend a lot more to make the show than we get back in underwriting, so it is a labor of love. From stories about diving for abalone off South Korea, to the secret of [unclear word] cooking, to preparing food for Hollywood space aliens. So please take a few minutes to fill out our survey. I promise it won’t feel like work. It might actually be fun and it will definitely help Milk Street find the next great story. And by the way, if you’re interested in supporting this show financially, we’d love to talk. Just follow the survey link to contact us. Simply go to survey.fan/milkstreet. That’s survey.fan/m-i-l-k-s-t-r-e-e-t, and thanks as always for listening.”

Well I think it’s concerningly vague.

Edit: Mods, forum bots, whichever, this isn’t me posting an ad… Okay, it’s the transcript of an ad. You know what, I’ll just spoiler text.

1 Like

I assumed it was something acast glitching out and inserting it into the wrong podcast. I went to the url and it looks like a regular listener survey so if it’s some kind of nefarious/underhanded advertising then it’s a real weird one.

1 Like

Yeah the copy just seems so maddeningly specific for it to be a catch all.

The ad was extremely strange and I assumed the first 2/3rds had been cut off. Christopher Kimball’s old gigs, America’s Test Kitchen and Cooks Illustrated, are famous for their low key deceptive billing processes so I wonder if that carried over to Milk Street.

Are they? I haven’t heard of that. Used to like America’s Test Kitchen back in the day when I had no cable but sometimes working PBS reception.

Maybe this ad is what we get for the increasing prominence of the Food Bucket. (Which, I say, fair trade. I’m all about Food Bucket!)

Mainly if you subscribe to their magazine or any of their services they make it as hard as possible to unsubscribe and will happily double bill you or add new items to your subscription without notification. Their recipes and reviews are excellent but I would avoid signing up to give them recurring payments.

There used to be Quiznos all over New Jersey, I never went to them because they are generally far worse than any other sandwich place or sandwich chain. You would get better food at a Subway shop. (And I haven’t been to a Subway in easily five years.) It was really hard to tell the difference between a Quiznos and a Blimpie too for awhile, they were both pretty trash. I’ve become extremely loyal to Wawa thanks to the cheap coffee.

At this point, Jersey Mikes seems to be the hot sandwich place. There was a brief Jimmy Johns invasion which failed shockingly fast, like every location closed in six months or less.

But Quiznos, no. That places had the worst fucking sandwiches, I’ll never go back there.

1 Like

I never lumped Quiznos in with those other places because in college before Quiznos totally self-destructed it was the only place that was doing toasted subs. As a fellow Jersey local, your hot sub options at the local subway were meatball and cheesesteak. Quiznos was basically the college equivalent of a glutton meal, something so absurdly decadent and bad for you that you just gorged on it and paid the consequences. A subway or wawa sandwich was a meal, a quiznos sub was an experience. Their turkey, bacon, guacamole sandwich wasn’t food as much as an edible lament configuration. Enough melted cheese to pose a choking hazard, ranch dressing applied from a huge bottle with three nipples on it, soggy turkey meat simmering in brine for hours, a thick layer of gauc that covered every inch of bread, and bacon because fuck it. Every sub was like a french dip, so soaked in juice that it was barely capable of being eaten by hand, if you didn’t eat it in the restaurant you’d get home with sandwich soup.

Yes, these days if I want a sandwich I’ll go to Jersey Mike’s first, wawa second, or a rotating selection of local delis if I feel fancy, but none of them scratch the quiznos itch. Then again, at 36, it’s probably for the best anyway. Quiznos is to subs as Taco Bell is to tex mex food. If I want a Taco Bell taco, no actual honest to god taco is going to satisfy that craving regardless of how good it is because it’s just not the same thing.

Good call on Jimmy Johns though, there was a six month period where they were everywhere and they all got Thanos snapped at the exact same time. They were alright, the only nice part of them was the delivery and I didn’t live close enough.

3 Likes

I had assumed that Quiznos had gone out of business but they’re still around I guess? Similarly I ate there once and it was one of the worse fast food meals I’ve had.

They were, for better or worse, on the leading edge of mainstreaming internet culture: Quizno's - YouTube

That Quiznos description is poetry!

1 Like

I have attempted Quiznos…threeish times and every time ended in my digestive system fomenting an armed insurrection. I respect the idea but the execution leaves a lot to be desired.

1 Like

Y’all out here talking about Quiznos when all I want to know is how Austin skipped so much math class without getting into trouble. Unexcused absences in my high school resulted in detention, hell they even gave you detention if you were late to class three times in a semester. Maybe I was just in a particularly harsh school?

1 Like

In my high school, 10 unexcused absenses = failed class. Kids who had real problems tended to get those absences excused, so it wasn’t zero tolerance, but I knew a few kinds who got help back a year because of “hanging out at the mall.” I don’t know if that sort of thing would fly in most places, but I grew up in a remote community.

Edit: I thought Quiznos was great when they first starting popping up. Toasted bread was still a novelty, and they hadn’t started drenching everything in cheap oils. Went downhill fast though. Jimmy John’s is popular out here, but I don’t know who eats there, when local shops, bakeries and delis are about the same price.

1 Like

I thought Austin was talking about college not high school but I might be confusing that with the coffee discussion.

As for the local deli versus chains like Wawa or Jersey Mike’s, it’s a combination of location and convenience. Being able to buy things off an app and knowing it’s going to taste the same every single time makes it a lazy choice more often than not. The better local places are further from me and half the time they don’t pick up the phone.

The honey shop in Cambridge, MA that Rob was talking about is Follow The Honey. While it does still exist it seems to be online ordering only. Which is a tragedy, for exactly the reason Rob describes.

I had a similar experience of going in and sampling honey from all over the world and being blown away by how different they could be (followed by spending too much money on honey that I suddenly couldn’t live without).

1 Like