Episode 392: Welcome to the Festival of Emails!

In an odd twist of fate, this year’s Oscars are actually relevant for a video game podcast (not that that’s stopped us in the past.) Rob talks us through the Academy Award winning Colette, which was made as supplemental material for Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond, a VR game that didn’t get a lot of buzz. Patrick has been checking out Returnal, a roguelike third person shooter from the creators of arcade styled classics like Super Stardust HD and Resogun. After the break, Austin takes us on a gardening tour as he nears the end of his side quest grind in NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139.... Cado lost some time to Naraka: Bladepoint, a melee combat focused Battle Royale with solid combat design that works better than it sounds. Then the crew dives into the Question Bucket to learn about kettle chicken, halloween scares, and ramps. No, not those ramps!

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://play.acast.com/s/vicegamingsnewpodcast/episode392-welcometothefestivalofemails-

I need to say “fuck you” to the entire Academy Awards system for Sunday night. Not just for not giving the award to Chadwick Boseman (a lot of people are arguing that Anthony Hopkins deserved it, I strongley disagree, Boseman’s performance in Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom was the best acting I saw all of last year - that’s all subjective, whatever). But I’m real mad for giving a Best Supporting Actor to Daniel Kaluuya who was the LEAD of his movie.

Judas and the Black Messiah had Kaluuya and LaKeith Stanfield both got nominated for Supporting Actor, when they’re both the leads. They’re the stars, they’re the title character. They’re not supporting each other.

Just real bad optics. Screwing over one Black actor at the last moment and then denying other lead actor with the wrong award. It’s embarrassing and sad and does nothing to elevate the film art or any of these actors. Burn it the fuck down.

PS: And Wolfwalkers got screwed too. Fuck off.

7 Likes

I’m pretty sure that it was the studio’s decision to put Kuluuya as a supporting actor to avoid “splitting the ticket” as it were, by submitting two lead actors for consideration. It’s a silly artifact from designating lead and supporting actors (and the fact that they’re awarding objective awards for subjective art, but that’s a whole other can of worms), but yea, this was not really on the Academy.

Fucking, right?! Cartoon Saloon has gotten a nomination for every movie they’ve made and Wolfwalkers is an improvement on each of those, some sweet sweet postcolonial catharsis, and Sean Bean doesn’t die at the end. Just take the Oscar away from Pixar for a year, you cowards!

Edit: I love the path we’re heading down where Rob Zacny is becoming Waypoint’s Vinny Caravella.

3 Likes