Episode 393: PUT VECTORMAN IN SMASH

It’s warming up which normally means doing more outdoor activities, but since we’re still in the midst of a global pandemic, each of the Waypoint Radio crew have taken up different substitutes to match their outdoor proclivities. Austin has taken to gardening in NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139..., Patrick is going on long walks of the same rooms over and over again in Returnal, and Cado is taking photos in New Pokemon Snap. Then they go on an extended dive into the question bucket to talk about maligned games, pizza portions, and more!

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://play.acast.com/s/vicegamingsnewpodcast/episode393-putvectormaninsmash

I have not yet listened to the episode yet but going off this title alone, yes put Vectorman in Smash and in fact just go ahead and make a Sega smash bros clone. Make Segata Sanshiro the Master Hand equivalent boss at the end.

What I’m saying is give me Segagaga 2

I bet they won’t cover the draft on this episode but congrats to Patrick and Rob for getting Fields and eternal curses to every moron in Denver who thought we were good with Lock and Bridgewater.

2 Likes

You spelled PEPSIMAN wrong.

2 Likes

ive been waiting for vectorman 3 to be announced at e3 for years please do not make fun of me

itsh dnot ! fnuny plawease stopt hjok;ing sabuot it ;~;

2 Likes

So, putting this here in regards to the call to “let us know” about playing Drakengard 1 on stream. First of all I would love this, but it’s hard to explain how utterly unpleasant the act of playing this game is.

Though the aerial combat is cool (but more like a mech game than a fighter game I’d say), the ground combat is incredibly tedious. Emulating for infinite health wouldn’t help much, since the difficulty already isn’t that high (you have a dragon), and the lag from emulating easily takes the game from ‘unpleasant’ to ‘unbearable.’

For Patrick, saying they’d be there for the story and the music: oh, you mean this music?

This is one of the more listenable tracks in the game. One of the game’s producers described the music as “…an accompaniment that gives them those negative feelings. The negative feeling of one whose loved ones have been killed…” The whole game sounds like an anxiety attack, with characters yelling disconnected musings on violence over the top

Yoko Taro's take on the music is as delightfully hard to understand as lots of his quotes, but included here in full, just for the sake of it.

“It would be difficult to explain the music of Drag-on Dragoon in a single paragraph. I want you to imagine the following: on a morning without school or work, a carefully selected egg has been lying on the table since the previous night at room temperature. You lightly pluck the egg off of the table and crack it over a bowl filled with cooked koshihikari rice, adding a dash of katsuobushi, finely shaved on a wood block. To top it off, and here you need to be careful, you add a few drops of light-colored soy sauce. You take your time to lightly stir in these ingredients. Filtered amidst the grains of cooked rice, part of the egg cooks, and part remains raw. It must not be mixed in too thoroughly. If it is possible, it is best to leavetwo to three clumps of white rice completely untouched by the egg, sitting like clumps of marble. Combined with the raw egg, this rice, which is as hot as possible, will make the perfect temperature. We calmly debate the merits of our respective ingredients as all of this spreads inside your mouth and fills your empty stomach. Then, the song as we kill each other.”

For Austin: if you like terrible characters, you’ll love* these characters. What other games give you a pedophile and a cannibal as playable characters (plus the implied/explicit incest thing with Caim and Furiae)? Seriously, this game needs so many content warnings any attempt to play it on stream would struggle with that.

Also, there’s the element of ableism that’s core to the original Drakengard, that the mass violence games depict could only be the work of someone “insane.” This is something Yoko Taro has talked about getting wrong, and has iterated on with all his subsequent games, so it’s fascinating to see such an unpolished attempt here, but it is still deeply ableist.

*won’t actually love

6 Likes

In many ways it’s not terribly surprising that Yoko Taro didn’t achieve mainstream success until Automata.

1 Like

The Drakengard 1 soundtrack slaps

6 Likes

Can neither confirm nor deny whether I was listening to this song on repeat as I wrote my post <_<

1 Like

Both those tracks would be part of an experimental electronic album that would get over 4/5 and 7.8 in Resident Advisor and Pitchfork respectively.

2 Likes