Episode 395: Big Dimitrescu Energy

Rob, Gita, Patrick and Cado are joined by special guest Matthew Gault to talk about Resident Evil VIII. They try to figure out how to pronounce Lady Dimitrescu’s name, talk about how every RE game falls apart by the second half, and which ones manage to stick to our memories despite that. After the break, Gita takes us on a tour of the new Apex Legends mode: Arenas. A 3 vs 3 round based mode that gets you right in the action and may just be the answer for people who bounced of the original battle royale mode. Then we take a length dip in the question bucket, get down to some taco etymology, and jobs we’ve had the pleasure to ollie out of.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://play.acast.com/s/vicegamingsnewpodcast/episode395-bigdimitrescuenergy
1 Like

Gita and Patrick are correct, Chicago has excellent Mexican food but for some reason isn’t known for it. Even in the suburbs there are some really great spots.

On the subject of big city groceries I was wondering if other places have a type of store I’ve only seen in Chicago: the big grocery store that’s actually a dozen different “ethnic” groceries under one roof. They’re usually stand-alone or a local chain with only a few stores and they’re great. One aisle will be Indian dry goods, the next Russian, the next Filipino, and the next Hispanic. The meat department will have good chorizo and halal lamb. You can get fresh chicharrons, Polish pickles, and locally baked pita all in one trip.

4 Likes

Whats good, I loved the boat bit of Resi 7. These games can’t sustain being horror forever when you’re accumulating ammo and upgrades like that so why not just lean in and switch genres for a good time. I love me some good monster fighting and silly story stuff and setpeices.

4 Likes

All the taco talk and now I’m eating tacos. Sorry Waypoint but you are Influencers.

3 Likes

I’m only an hour or two into village so I can’t speak to how well it does… anything I suppose.

That’s said, I do think that Patrick forgets a little of how Mr X worked in RE2, in that he too along with any enemy in the game refuses to violate the sanctity of the save room. You can just post up at the door and he’ll stand there with his little fedora and glare at you before stomping off. So will lickers, zombies, anything. Lady D might be a little worse off because she’s always close to the save room, but she’s not unique in that behavior. Maybe they just really hate the smell of typewriter ink? Who can say.

As for Resident Evil’s descent into the absurd, your mileage may vary but I always kind of appreciated that to some extent for a variety of reasons. First, pure tense horror grates long term. There’s a reason most of the best horror movies are tight shorter affairs and it’s because you can only sustain the tension so long before it becomes tedious. Alien Isolation is an incredible 3-4 hours followed by an increasingly unbearable slog that vastly overstays its welcome. Re7 strikes an incredible first act and the temptation for it to keep going is understandable but I feel it would just devolve into tedium. Once the thing stalking you becomes familiar it becomes a nuisance instead of a nightmare. Halfway through isolation I just started sprinting everywhere because I just wanted to move forward and that worked often enough to make progress.

Second, I just kind of appreciate to some extent a game franchise still willing to get weird. So many big budget games take themselves so seriously and want to ground themselves in gravitas it’s refreshing to see a series that knows what it is and leans into it. It doesn’t stick the landing all the time, it’s probably closer to 50/50 if I’m being generous, but the moments where it manages to hit that perfect absurd stupidity are sublime. I’d rather have a bunch of games where occasionally Albert Wesker snaps my neck during a midair cartwheel because I failed a QTE than have it turn into grumpy dad explores basic feelings like a murderous Elmo like God of War.

10 Likes

God, I really need to get into Apex arenas.

1 Like

I moved out here from Philly last fall and honestly I had no clue I could find Mexican food this good outside of the southwest. There’s a little family owned restaurant a block from my apartment that makes the best carne asada I’ve ever had. I drove out to Aurora to get my vaccine and found this incredible place literally by the side of the highway. It’s all so good.

1 Like

I work over by Midway and there’s this stretch of Pulaski where there are roughly 30 Mexican restaurants and the majority of them are very good. It drives me crazy when I see lists ranking Mexican food nationwide and Chicago barely gets mentioned.

2 Likes

Hey all, I was wondering what podcast apps you’re using? I’ve been using the default Apple app for years but this most recent update finally made it totally unusable.

Gita keeps getting me back into Apex Legends.

Her going on about it had me playing during lock-down last year with my sister and her husband. And now she has me updating it to play Arenas, after I fell off because my lifestyle just doesn’t support playing a game consistently enough to get the most out of a season of the Battle Pass.

I probably won’t stick around long, but the idea of getting into those awesome gunfights more often is really appealing.

Have you been to Birria Zaragoza? If I’m at Midway even vaguely near a mealtime I’ll find an excuse to go there. There is no better way to recover from a bad flight than stewed goat and fresh tortillas.

2 Likes

I live in NJ and have never had good Mexican food in my entire life. I’ve found some great Caribbean restaurants in the real bad parts of Brooklyn and the Bronx, but never had better Mexican than Chipotle.

This is tragic to me.

2 Likes

For a long time the only “Mexican” restaurant around had such specialties as “nachos” and “nachos with beans.” It wasn’t until I moved to my current location north of NYC where some local immigrants were making the real stuff that I discovered the joy of proper Mexican food.

1 Like

I have Spotify premium so I’ve just naturally been using it for podcasts as well but my go to after that would be Podcast Addict.

3 Likes

Overcast is my favorite podcast player. I’m not sure if this is a feature of others but I love being able to share clips.

3 Likes

Am I the only one hearing how aggressively RE8 goes off the rails and getting extremely excited? At this point I’d much rather a messy, poorly-judged series of experiments in a AAA game than the bland competence of a Ghost of Tsushima (for example).

3 Likes

No I’m with you, most of my interest in it is for what sounds like some messiness and weirdness and maybe some failed experiments that might be interesting to experience and talk about if not perfect in the moment.

1 Like

Is “Zero Dark Zombie” really an experiment, though?

1 Like

In pure concept, no. In execution, it remains to be seen. I’m maybe 1/4 of the way through village a d it’s profoundly weird so far, so if it only gets weirder…0

1 Like

Hello, it’s me, the person who only tried RE7 for the first time on Game Pass a few weeks ago due to its’ reputation for being terrifying, and then noped out after 30 minutes. AKA, the person that RE8 is seemingly made for. Sorry for ruining things for you, Patrick.

I’ve never been big into Resident Evil before, but I played through RE2make and RE3make and enjoyed both of them a great deal (though I enjoyed 2 far more than 3). Those experiences compelled me to go back and play RE4 for the first time a few weeks ago - I didn’t finish it - only got through the castle portion - but I enjoyed it for the most part, got a few scares out of it, and it was a fun and goofy time. And it allowed me to see the clear inspiration RE8 is taking from RE4 - and I have to say, I really loved playing through RE8 this weekend.

Without going into all the spoilers, it really goes off the rails towards the end, but I think that’s kind of What These Games Do, right? I appreciate the silliness and sheer ridiculousness of it all. I also really liked how each area was really different, and kept the game from feeling too stale. I will probably compose some more detailed thoughts to put in the RE8 thread, but I did want to just chime in here, because it sounded like so many on the pod were down on the direction of the game - and for those that were put off by the start of RE7, I thought this game was a total blast - probably my GOTY-so-far, along with Hitman 3.

2 Likes