Episode 406: Dropkick that Little Mage

Content Warning at 1:16:55 for discussion of Suicide and Harassment

The height of summer is here, and what better way to beat the heat than some video games! Rob is finding his Battle Royale sea legs by diving head first into Fortnite. Could this mean the return of a certain Battle Royale duo? After the break, Patrick is bringing color back into the world with Chicory, a paint based zelda-like where you use color to complete puzzles. Austin's been spending his time in the sun golfing with the mushroom kingdom in Mario Golf: Super Rush, but wonders if it wouldn't be a bit more fun to enjoy the results of a swing rather than running between them. Rob and Patrick return to Dark Deity to consider their favorite characters and how the game uses overpowered characters to form a smoother difficulty curve. Then Patrick and Austin discuss the real life tragedy and legacy of programer Near, and the cruelty of online harassment.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://play.acast.com/s/vicegamingsnewpodcast/episode409-dropkickthatlittlemage

At one point I think they off-handedly referred to the Jason Schreier/Blue Box thing, which I didn’t really pay attention to and don’t really understand. Does anyone have a good breakdown of that saga?

Jason helpfully wrote a Bloomberg article about it. He also talked about it briefly on the most recent episode of Triple Click, where he described himself going from convinced it’s not a thing to briefly thinking it might be a thing after Keighley tweeted about it then back to convinced it’s not a thing after interviewing the Blue Box guy.

So a few extra things that are worth pointing out here:

Basically, fuck Jason Schreier lol

11 Likes

I’m not on Twitter, so I missed all of this. Thanks.

Ah, a kindred Twitter-less soul. I canceled my Twitter a few months ago, and I never looked back. It’s always interesting, tho, when I hear about a story like this, and I realize that I have no idea what’s happening, and I wonder how many supplemental articles I have to read to catch up.