Episode 410 - Patrick Klepek is… Gacha Man!

It’s not often that you hear someone describe a first party Nintendo game as “Well… it’s interesting.” But that’s one of the opening remarks Patrick has for The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD. Cado finished Boomerang X and Patrick said he did but, well, I’ll let him defend himself. Rob’s recent foray into the Company of Heroes franchise has culminated in a new release, Company of Heroes 3. The question bucket gets us into a long conversation about cables, and then Valve dropped the Steam Deck.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://play.acast.com/s/vicegamingsnewpodcast/episode410-patrickklepekis-gachaman-
1 Like

Gacha, gacha man
I gotta be a gacha man

I was wondering about Boomerang X, when I first heard about it I learned that it has the option of a control scheme called flick stick, but I haven’t heard anyone who’s played it mention it. Anyone know what the deal is?

Flick stick isn’t unique to Boomerang X. It’s an input method designed to pair with gyro aiming.

The basic idea is that the right analog stick is functions like a top-down view of your character. You know how fighter pilots call out enemies using clock directions? With flick stick, your right analog stick is like the face of the clock, and when you push it towards, for instance, the “6 o’clock” position, your character will turn 180 degrees to face behind them. Same for all the clock positions in between.

It’s called “flick” stick because you flick the right stick toward whatever new direction you want to face and then let it recenter. Fine aiming and vertical aiming are controlled with the gyro.

This video has a good visual demonstration with the controller inputs overlaid on the screen.

3 Likes

Re: the implied improbability of Nintendo adding options to the Skyward Sword camera controls in response to feedback - they did recently add customisable camera controls to all the games in Mario 3D All-Stars, as well as GameCube controller support for Mario Sunshine.

1 Like

The addition of a tactical pause to company of heroes sounds great. I’ve never been good at or enjoyed micromanagement in RTS despite growing up playing Warcraft II and Starcraft. So when the sequels to those games doubled down on micromanagement I fell off them.

2 Likes

Bucatini is hipster spaghetti, don’t at me.

1 Like

The pasta discourse is why I come to Waypoint. Unfortunately, I can not accept lasagna as an answer. If you want to call lasagna your favorite pasta-based dish, yes, sure, whatever. As a pasta though? Get that out of here.

2 Likes

I can almost agree with you on favorite pasta dish vs favorite pasta, but I think there is an exception to this ideology. I think if your love for lasagna as a pasta-based dish is high enough that it overshadows all other pasta dishes, then I think it’s safe to say that lasagna is your favorite pasta.

Like, I love a good lasagna. But, I also love a good penne noodle dish, or a good cavatelli dish, so I don’t think I can say that lasagna is my favorite noodle, even if it’s my favorite pasta dish. The other noodles are more versatile in their uses.

But, if I don’t like all those other dishes, or even if I’m just lukewarm on them… If lasagna is the only pasta dish I really, really love? Then, I think I would have to say that lasagna is my favorite noodle.

For the record, my favorite noodle is cavatelli.

3 Likes

Bucatini is good because it holds sauce better than spaghetti.

Also while San Francisco is home to plenty of food posers, it does also have a lot of excellent Italian food.

No one has yet mentioned rotini, which I love for the way they trap little pockets of sauce in those corkscrews. In a world where I can’t say ravioli without specifying a type (felt like a very weird condition) and where gnocchi is some nebulous other thing, that’s probably my favorite.

(and imo the ideal measure of a pasta type’s quality should really be how they are in picking up/absorbing/trapping sauce.)

4 Likes

I swear Mac and Cheese pasta that comes in a fun shape tastes better. I do not know why but it just does.

12 Likes

Same principal applies to nuggets and dinosaur nuggets.

I imagine it’s a bit like farfalle (bow ties) - the irregular shapes give it more textural variety. Densely packed areas like the square pants will be al dente, while Spongebob’s hands will be slightly over and soft.

4 Likes

My fuego pasta take is that spaghetti is bad. Pasta should be al dente.

4 Likes

Spaghetti can be cooked al dente, firm but still bendy. That’s pretty common and my preferred way to make the dish.

3 Likes

I have never done that then!

1 Like

When I make spaghetti I strain it when it’s almost al dente, and then immediately put it in the sauce to simmer until it’s a perfect al dente but also had a chance to let the sauce soak in. Delicious!

3 Likes