Episode 411 - Nintendo, Hold That L

Spoilers for Final Fantasy VII Remake: Episode: INTERmission at ~1:24:05

It’s been a very sports filled week for the Waypoint Radio crew. Basketball is good, Space Jam is bad, and Rob’s getting back behind the wheel with F1 2021, with it’s new “Longshot-eqsue” story mode: Braking Point. Patrick’s looking within in Psychonauts 2, and Austin is looking back by revisiting Dark Souls. Skyward Sword HD continues to frustrate everyone, Austin and the crew take a short detour into Colombian children’s books while discussing Cris Tales, a new “Mario RPG-like” that references many Colombian cultural touchstones. Cado has wrapped Final Fantasy VII: Episode INTERmission, and has left with more questions than answers. Then we dip into some more audiophile and food talk in the Question Bucket.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://play.acast.com/s/vicegamingsnewpodcast/episode411-nintendo-holdthatl
1 Like

Cado, Waypoint in general, if you need a copy of Dirge of Cerberus, I will hook you up. I’ve had a copy since 2006 or so, I am willing to sacrifice for the good of the world. This is a game the world needs to see, it is buck fucking wild.

Also, FFIX was the last one to have a chibi World Map.

EDIT: Anybody looking for big FFX spoilers and wants to know what Patrick is talking about, read this wiki page: Final Fantasy X-2.5 ~Eien no Daishō~ | Final Fantasy Wiki | Fandom

2 Likes

I’ve had good experiences with used games in Amazon and it’s only $20-$30 on there. Took a long look at it after beating FFVII myself.

Pros of becoming a Sixers fan right now — you already missed the worst it could get. (No I’m not talking about the 10 win season, I’m talking about the shot that haunts my dreams to this day. You know the one.) Also, Embiid rules because he knows he’s playing the heel and absolutely loves it and it’s so fun to watch.

But also, Austin, you already follow one Philadelphia sports team. Voluntarily following another one? No. Don’t do that to yourself. You deserve so much better.

2 Likes

The longer this Rune conversation goes the more sure I am that this is some kind of cult or pyramid scheme.

I listen to music on YouTube, btw.

4 Likes

I would love a waypoint plus sports show that’s sort of like a book club for upcoming games.

1 Like

That describes pretty much all audiophile stuff past a certain price point. I definitely think good speakers/headphones and a solid amplifier is worth it, but I jump off board as soon as we start getting into silver plated cabling or whatever.

Having said that, I am loving these conversations about Rob’s descent into audiophile hell and I am eagerly awaiting updates.

https://lparchive.org/Final-Fantasy-VII-Dirge-of-Cerberus/

Dark Ids LP of Dirge of Cerberus is the best way to experience Dirge of Cerberus.

My favorite non-traditional pizza topping would have to be Mac n Cheese and Peanut Butter and Jelly, I would always get it at the BigE every year.

Great non-standard pizza: strawberry, basil, goat cheese and balsamic vinegar. We made it on a barbecue, and it was really really good.

I don’t want to defend Nintendo’s honour, but there’s recent precedent for them expanding control and camera options for a flagship remaster in response to feedback, so I don’t think it’s impossible it will happen for Skyward Sword at all. It happening in a timely enough manner to satisfy those currently playing the game seems less likely.

1 Like

I felt extremely called out when Rob scoffed at the idea of spending money on a region B blu ray player. As someone who made that leap during the pandemic, I love this world. So many more options. And I didn’t even have the greatest fidelity setup. It really feels like a pretty easy, and not THAT expensive of a jump in the scheme we are talking.

Re: post-pod, insisting only filled dough qualifies as a “dumpling” after reading a detailed explanation of why that’s not so, AND finding the root word describes a simple lump of dough, is real American Exceptionalism hours.

1 Like

I’m here to appreciate the Peroghy appreciation demonstrated on this pod. We make them at home every holiday, and I think I’m getting rounder thinking about them. Also, just let me note that if you are a blue cheese person, and you have not had a pear and Gorgonzola pizza, y’all are missing out.

Is there a yahoo anime way to experience Dirge of Cerberus again? I have my PS2 in storage and with a big game like that, I assume there are ways… If not I may just check out a nice story playthrough!