Episode 413: The Saxophone Playing Patrick That Never Was

Austin and Cado are still playing Pokemon Unite, and do some live research into some of it's more hidden forms of microtransactions. Patrick is living his best music playing life with Ragnarock, a VR drum rhythm game with a slightly frustrating boost mechanic. After the break, Cado's been playing The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles, the historical fiction entry into the Ace Attorney franchise that has only just been released outside of Japan despite the first game being six years old at this point. Austin has been checking out Chernobylite in early access, a first person exploration shooter that takes cues from games like S.T.A.L.K.E.R, but with base building akin to State of Decay. Then the crew takes a quick dip in the question bucket and discuss how to get into rogue-likes, even if the structure seems to not be your cup of tea.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://play.acast.com/s/vicegamingsnewpodcast/episode413-thesaxophoneplayingpatrickthatneverwas

The Heroes of the Storm story is a weird one. In short, yes, it still exists, it is still being supported and it’s still really good.

The event that everyone remembers is when Blizzard dropped an official competitive scene kind of out of the blue, and reduced the team size at the same time. They announced this with a press release with such an air of doom and gloom that everyone assumed that development ceased.

Actually, while the flow of new characters to the game slowed to a trickle the player experience notably improved. Previously, the game had to be balanced around the hyper-optimized pro scene. Without that, the remaining developers could be much more free with how they approached rebalancing and character reworks. The community that stuck with the game generally found the resulting state of play to be improved. It even sprouted a community run competitive scene.

I haven’t played in a while, but I still hold the game in very high regard.

3 Likes

Yep that is actually what made me drop it because I assumed the game was “dead” and that they would be turning the servers off within 6 months.

Had a lot of fun with that game, shame that they made the messaging around where it was headed so bad.

1 Like

HotS dropping that pro scene and reducing support was a huge bummer. I followed a few of the casters at the time, and they all seemed caught off guard by what happened. That said, I think you can still jump in for free. I’d say it is in a similar style of the pokemoba, but the matches can drag on a bit. To give reference, I think it’s been 2 or 3 years since I last played a game and it would take four interested friends for me to reinstall it at this point.

I’ve been thinking about Patrick’s sax story. There’s another angle the band teachers might have been taking when they recommended he didn’t pick up sax. It’s entirely possible too many kids were interested or they had too many saxophone players already. Whatever the motivation, that story bums me out.

There’s all sorts of synths in the world, though. I’m probably going to pick up the Dato DUO to play with my daughter soon. It’s less Do You Understand Piano focused and more This thing make cool sounds.

1 Like