Episode 448 - The Animatrix

We've got a special treat for y'all on Waypoint Radio today- a glimpse into our Waypoint Plus feed and the discussions on The Matrix Franchise we've been having. Special guest Gita Jackson joins Rob, Patrick, and Cado to dissect the 9 short animated films that make up The Animatrix, the lore and story implications they have, and how transmedia marketing became a diluted standard operating procedure after The Matrix.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://shows.acast.com/vicegamingsnewpodcast/episodes/episode-448-the-animatrix
1 Like

I find it weird to think of Gita as a “Special Guest” and not “The Austin Walker Chair of Anime Studies at Waypoint University”

5 Likes

On this commentary about high schools as prisons, yeah, absolutely. I went to a particularly diverse school in North Jersey, which was fascinating. It felt like a High-Rise-esque fusion of various ethnic and economic classes all shoved together into two buildings (with a bridge connecting them). You can see this all over the country, schools in some cities have barbed wire around them, and schools in rich suburbs are lush modern campuses.

I was one of the “smart kids” (ie. middle class White or Asian) who everybody knew right from the start was on the college track. So I had great teachers, fantastic education, teachers who could both believe in me and call out my bullshit which I really needed as snot-nosed teenager.

And meanwhile we’re sitting in the same building and shared classes with a lot of Afro-Caribbean kids who were treated like criminals, and actually were being groomed to be prisoners by the System. You could feel the division just walking down the halls. Cops were guarding the doors when you walked in at the morning and you had to go through metal detectors. Some Vice Principals on power trips would just be horrendous towards Black or Brown kids who didn’t have their stupid lanyards out - meanwhile I never wore that thing and nobody cared. I remember sessions at detention where I would happily take the forty minutes after school to just do homework and relax, and the other kids were at full psychic war with the guards in the room.

Not a lot of happy memories about high school, needless to say, and I got the better out of that place.

4 Likes

I had a much better-than-average high school experience compared to the average. It was not diverse, but the phenomena are similar. The more middle-class/richer kids usually wound up in the AP track/college track while the poorer kids usually got diverted to like…vocational education. Or some of the more rambunctious or…say, enterprising wound up in the (please buckle up for the most Orwellian thing you’re ever going to hear out of high school) “Educational Opportunity Room” (i.e. in-school detention). If you got in-school suspension, you wound up there. If you had to make up a test while the teacher goes over it, you wound up there.

I was in the AP/college track and so I largely missed out on the more penitentiary-esque features of high school, but the idea that there are some students who are “college-bound” and some who are not (and the consequences of this mindset) seems to be a universal feature. When I was in high school I was more concerned about the divide between sports funding and music funding, but I bet if I went back and really reexamined it, I would find a lot to critique.