Episode 453 - Rob's Year of Motorsports

The most of the WPR crew is getting back into the swing of things by wrapping up some games of 2021, but not before Rob and Patrick can talk about the end of the NFL's regular season. Cado however is going way back, to 2018, to check out Death Crown: the 1-bit art style and short match times made this RTS the perfect fit for a weekend full of other obligations. Patrick is closing the loop on Outer Wilds: Echos of the Eye, an ultimately welcome addition to what was a fantastic base game, even if the DLC does at moments rub the wrong way against the base game's structure. Then a surprise guest, a certain "mech-spert" if you will, joins us to talk about these Armored Core Rumors. After the break, Rob's been checking out WRC 10, a rally racing game in a franchise he's been largely (and maybe erroneously) ignoring.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://shows.acast.com/vicegamingsnewpodcast/episodes/episode-453
1 Like

Good god, that’s Crowbar’s music!

5 Likes

Congrats to all NFL teams (other than the Dolphins) who got rid of their head coaches.

2 Likes

I am still a little mad that the game didn’t end in a tie despite everyone outside of Western Pennsylvania wanting it.

E: To provide some further information on the game that, unfortunately, made it not a perfect prisoners’ dilemma. The Raiders had a very good reason to win. A win means that their playoff game is against the good but unproven Cincinnati Bengals while a tie would mean a matchup with the terrifying Kansas City Chiefs, a team that absolutely destroyed the Raiders twice this season.

1 Like

I have a hypothesis as to who the “mech-spert” is and I think he needs wrestling-style walkout music whenever he calls up Rob and is like “I know I took this other gig extremely Stephen A. Smith voice BUT”

Echoes of the Eye for Patrick just sounds like my entire experience of that game, especially the ending sequence, which drove me fucking nuts.

Just put quicksaves in your game, I don’t care why you don’t want to.

2 Likes

At this point I am really enjoying the running joke re: the special guest that means they get no introduction and just slide into the topics

3 Likes

I loved Echoes of the Eye but I did think that the pacing the of it was a very curious bit. I totally agree that it would have been extremely weird to play this within a first play through of the full game.

On another note, I really actually think Patrick said too much about the game on this one. I’m not usually too concerned with spoilers, but discovering some of what he describes organically was a truly sublime experience that I think anyone interested in this specific kind of game would want preserved.

Tho I do think his main frustrations are justified.

1 Like