Episode 469 - My Wife Bought Me Heelies

Content Warnings for detailed discussions of sleep disorders and injuries from hyper-flexibility 0:00 - 29:35

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://shows.acast.com/vicegamingsnewpodcast/episodes/episode-469-my-wife-bought-me-heelies
2 Likes

For the email about whether to go from Demon’s Souls to Elden Ring or Dark Souls, I was that person just over a year ago. While either option is valid, I will say that my enjoyment of ER has only been enhanced by going through the series history. The crew overstates the lower player population of the older games; I found there to be active communities and summoning in all the games, so it’s not like it’ll be a ghost town (although maybe steer clear of the PS3/360 versions). The current discovery is neat for ER, but honestly the main stuff has been “solved”, and only the edges that the hardcore cares about remain to be uncovered.

Either way, you can’t go wrong!

1 Like

It’s honestly EASIER to summon in the older games these days! In Elden Ring there are tons of summon signs, but you’re competing for them with tons of other people, so it can be hard to summon someone!

I will say that the PC online functionality for all of the games except Elden Ring is disabled at the moment due to security issues they couldn’t resolve while also trying to get ER out the door. Hopefully they’re back up soon, but who knows!

2 Likes

I can only speak to the ten minutes I spent trying to summon in Bloodborne the other day but I couldn’t get anyone. Encouraging to hear that this might’ve just been an aberration though for when I get to the actually difficult bosses.

I play FromSoftware games offline so take that into account here. In terms of some variety, I would recommend going to Bloodborne before Dark Souls if your intention is to play Elden Ring eventually or just skip straight to ER. I find ER to play much more like the Dark Souls game than Bloodborne and as someone that beat the first Dark Souls a month or so before Elden Ring came out I might have bounced off if I had less time between DS1 and ER. 5 hours into my first character I had to start over and force myself to not use similar builds to what I went through Demon’s Souls and Dark Souls with. Just my perspective as someone who between Demon’s Souls Remake and ER’s releases I platinumed BB and beat DS1 Remastered on PC.

Plus I think the lessons to be learned from BB in terms of aggressiveness will really help you utilize status builds in ER as you need to keep applying attacks to fill meters and getting time to heal is often best achieved by breaking the enemy’s poise and landing a critical attack and heal while they are getting back up.

1 Like

I agree with the framing Ren takes with the question around where to dive in after the original Demons’s Souls if Elden Ring is an eventual goal.

I personally enjoy the concept of experiencing the iteration from Demons’s to ER and realising how everything has been thrown into the pot in From’s latest, but to get into Elden Ring when it’s the game of the moment, to experience its vague and mysterious quest-lines, to share experiences with people who are also actively playing it, and see early theories form for its lore is a great idea before diving back.

After that I would definitely go back and play them in sequential order. Dark Souls 1 is still a classic and Bloodborne is a self contained masterpiece, if nothing else those are worth the retrospective.

Anyway Ren has brought back the Friday Energy to every pod, loving it, the narcolepsy / insomnia stories were terrifying and enlightening 10/10

3 Likes

I could use less talk of bug nightmares and more talk of wearing Heelies in your twenties. This is a lot.

EDIT: Also, if Ren doesn’t like JRPGs where you have to wait 20-30 hours before the Job System unlocks, she definitely should not play Dragon Quest VII, which does that completely.

EDIT 2: And she just picked up FFXIII which doesn’t let you really play the game fully until 20 hours in, come to think of it. :stuck_out_tongue: Not a fan of FFXIII much at all.

3 Likes

Ren’s therapist was out there just teaching parents enhanced interrogation techniques.

5 Likes

Literally just started replaying FF XIII last month. So excited to see what they make of that interesting mess of a game.

I can’t speak to From/Dark Souls/Elden Ring specifically because they’re not my thing, but I’m very sympathetic to the “should I play through everything or should I skip to the new thing while it’s fresh?” question. Games, much more than films and other media, are so iterative that going back can feel really off-putting because of missing quality of life features (not to mention things like longer load times, worse framerates, etc). I’m also someone who really likes seeing how the sausage is made and playing or watching things in sequence and seeing how a creator/creative team evolves.

So, if someone was asking, “hey, Korlis, are you going to play everything or are you skipping ahead?”, I’d probably be so brain-poisoned by my need to see and do everything and try to wrap my head around that creative evolution that I would go back and play through in order. But if someone was asking my advice, I think I’d want to say sure, play the older stuff if you want, don’t feel pressured into jumping on whatever new hotness is around, but also don’t feel like there’s a Required Reading list for every little thing out there.

Basically, don’t be like me, who got so bogged down playing Persona 1 and 2 on PSP that they never got around to playing (the by all accounts far superior) Persona 3 etc.

2 Likes

Elden Ring is the first of these games I’ve gotten to play before it got “solved” in a way and Ren’s right, experiencing all the theorycrafting and wiki-building and just the conversations about this game firsthand is I think worth skipping the others and coming back to them later. Even though I have really been enjoying all the Souls fanservice and references and the thematic continuities.

5 Likes

By no means do I want to discourage anyone from telling lengthy anecdotes. But a timestamp for in-depth discussions of the symptoms of sleep disorders would be nice. It’s not the most pleasant listening after a night of anxiety induced sleeplessness.

1 Like

Just want to say that I appreciated the tangent talking about everyone’s Final Fantasy origins and buzzfeed “what job are you” quiz. I’m happy that Patrick is a Final Fantasy VIII sicko like me. There are dozens of us!

3 Likes