Episode 471 - The Halo 5 Defender has LOGGED ON

In what was certainly not supposed to be an episode of Waypoints, Rob, Patrick, Ren, and Cado all gather up to discuss the first episode of Halo, the Paramount Plus live action TV series based on the FPS juggernaut. Along the way, we learn that Ren has all of the Halo lore crammed into her skull alongside the assertion that "4 and 5 had good campaigns, actually." The crew discusses the production on the show, how it reads differently depending on your previous knowledge of Halo, and talk about how it compares to previous live action Halo media.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://shows.acast.com/vicegamingsnewpodcast/episodes/episode-471-the-halo-5-defender-has-logged-on

Finally vindication about Halo 4 and 5! Two unfairly maligned games in my opinion, especially 5 which isn’t altogether different in play and tone from Infinite. Really happy Waypoint has got a Halo-pilled staffer with Ren!

EDIT: :clap:t5: Halo :clap:t5: Lore :clap:t5: Reasons :clap:t5: when :clap:t5:

2 Likes

absolutely living for the halo lore. ive read a lot of the books cause im a big all nerd, its really fun to hear some of this stuff after all these years. curious to the direction the show is going, but im going to keep watching.

3 Likes

I didn’t expect Ren to be the Austin Walker of Halo, but I am delighted and ready to be Halo-pilled.
Before Rob gets too far into Halo:CE I want to see a weekly stream of Rob playing Halo with Ren as his co-pilot / loremaster.
Maybe by the time they’re done they’ll have co-op in Halo Infinite.

5 Likes

I really do have to ready myself to take psychic damage whenever Ren mentions her age.

I am also all for Halo Lore Reasons. It’s fascinating not just for its breadth and depth but also for how little you directly interact with it in the games. There’s also just some good military sci fi.

4 Likes

Halo books good

3 Likes

Obligatory share of that Brian David Gilbert video. Halo lore rocks.

9 Likes

I’m actually into the show, but because it seems to make Chief an ACTUAL interesting character.

Chief is Pattison Batman basically, while video game Chief is more like a Army recruiter.

2 Likes

I have Renata’s second grade first FPS story, except it was Quake, not Halo 3, and I’ve never liked FPS games even like 24 years later.

EDIT: Also, when I was 22 I thought I could remember every single bit of lore I was get heard from a game. Give it a decade, I’ve completely lost what was going on in Xenogears. I still sometimes pretend I don’t know because I’m embarrassed, as a non-fans of this stuff, to know the Minerva shit in AssCreed and the Montreal Screwjob. I’d rather forget that Hulk Hogan was run over by a Hummer. But give it time, Ren, you’ll be like me and lose all of Octopath Traveler only a year after playing.

6 Likes

Yes, when Rob said “let’s check back in with Ren when she’s 35” I felt that in my bones. Covid time dilation certainly hasn’t helped but I can’t remember shit anymore and I used to have old stuff like that locked down tighter than a vault.

11 Likes

As a 38-year old, I will say that you do in fact have the choice to either remember the events and characters of The Silmarillion or literally anything else involving your actual real life. I chose the former and, honestly, I have no regrets. But I also don’t have kids; I think Patrick chose differently and, for his circumstances, more wisely.

9 Likes

As an ardent Halo 4 defender (and… less ardent Halo 5 defender) I’m so glad Waypoint now has someone on the team who clearly has a deep love for all the series lore. I would watch the heck out of a stream with Ren shepherding Rob through the series.

And oh, what’s this in the newsletter? :eyes:

Next Week: Another trip to Weird West, plus some Halo Wars .

3 Likes

Despite having a foot in both camps (Halo 4 is paint drying, Halo 5 is a good time), I am extremely happy Ren is here to counteract the prevailing Halo orthodoxy.

Ren is also correct. The Halo Wars games especially Halo Wars 2 are not optional. Hell I would take Halo Wars 2 over all but the highest tier Bungie Halos.

2 Likes

I thought Halo 4 was a great audition piece for 343i. They proved they can make A Halo Game; now they get to go do something with the franchise. My critique of Halo 4 is that it felt like I woke up in the middle of Philosophy class halfway through the semester with no memory of even signing up for the class in the first place.

1 Like

As someone who broadly enjoyed the gameplay of Halo 4 and liked that they did try to go deeper and weirder with the overt series lore in 4-5 I do have to agree with Patrick’s take that the storytelling etc really let those games down.

I think I get where Ren is coming from but it reminds me of how people talk about the Star Wars prequels or specific arcs in modern WWE where they sound interesting in theory or clearly contain good ideas worth talking about but actively watching them quickly dispels any belief I have in them overall good pieces of art.

It is fun to chew the fat about them though.

11 Likes

There’s a clip somewhere of Filoni talking about the story Lucas was trying to tell with the prequels and it sounds rad when he tells it.

2 Likes

Yep. Despite having played 1-3 and Reach as well as read a number of the novels I truly did not care about anything that happened in 4, 5, or Infinite. The storytelling in all of them ranges from bad to incomprehensible.

While I appreciate the trend in focusing on what is interesting about a work and away from that very Gen X “everything sucks” style of criticism. But I don’t care how interesting a work is to discuss, if those interesting parts don’t cohere into a meaningful whole I can’t say that it’s good. Especially for big budget AAA games that aren’t trying anything particularly experimental.

3 Likes

I’m just saying, a good segment for a Waypoint 101 on Halo would be cooking Halo inspired food

11 Likes

Master Chef, finally.

4 Likes

Presented without comment:

5 Likes