Episode 493 - A Big Shlorp from the Question Bucket

The release schedule is slow so we're taking a big old shlorp from the question bucket! Acast destroyed my description and now we're streaming so that's all for now, enjoy the podcast!

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://shows.acast.com/vicegamingsnewpodcast/episodes/episode-493-a-big-shlorp-from-the-question-bucket

Very good Waypoint newsletter this week. Good bit 10/10.

5 Likes

“i am going to become the Water Joker”

1 Like

Cado is 100% correct about Gunpla boxes which is why we put ours up on the high wall shelf things so anyone who visits knows what kind of place they’ve walked into.

6 Likes

This episode made me feel tremendous kinship with Rob and Cado and their box collections

1 Like

This doke I made for my board game friends group chat sums up my stance on board game boxes:

On the subject of Netrunner (btw if Rob and Cado and Ren are reading PLEASE stream some paper NR with that overhead camera!!) one of the nice things about NISEI’s stewardship with print on demand is the no frills packaging: you get a shrink wrapped pack of cards and that’s it, none of the bloat of the FFG deluxe boxes or plastic clamshells.

On getting into RTSs*: I think an obvious good learner RTS was missed- the original Company of Heroes. While in many sense a classic RTS with micro and base building and what have you, it has several features that make it a very great deal more accessible than, say, Starcraft.

Firstly, base building is quite streamlined. On top of that, your economy is based on how much territory you can control, which is both intuitive, and gets you into combat from the jump.

While combat itself is based on micro, its steadily paced and intuitive. You decide which cover your infantry occupies, which road your weapon teams cover, and which directions your vehicles enter the fight from. Infantry will last in cover, and bigger guns have long reload times. You will have time to adjust as long as you keep your head. It’s also extremely rewarding, and those special abilities like off-map artillery are suitably visually impressive and devastating. Still, your infantry always have that super handy retreat button, so you can often lose a position and feel like you have the chance to get back out there.

Rather than intense micro you are rewarded for preparation and prediction. A well placed mine or line of sandbags can be decisive. I played some CoH and a lot of the quite similar WH40K: Dawn of War 2 multiplayer, and a forum comment struck me as true: it’s not a high actions-per-minute game, but it’s a high thoughts-per-minute-game.

I think if you got together with someone familiar with the game and did some team comp stomps you’d get the basic rhythm pretty quickly.

*an almost comically archaic question, but I guess we’ll see how Company of Heroes 3 does.

3 Likes