Episode 518- Oh No We've (Marvel) Snapped!

It’s the Pod before Halloween and we’re getting SPOOKY! Gasp in horror at Patrick and Cado playing Marvel Snap, the new card game from some ex-Hearthstone devs. Scream at the thought of The Witcher’s Sex Cards being included in the remake that was just announced. Then shiver down to your bones as we talk about a litany of spooky games including Signalis, Scorn, and Vampire the Masquerade: Swan Song!

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://shows.acast.com/vicegamingsnewpodcast/episodes/518-oh-no-weve-marvel-snapped

I have been playing an irresponsible amount of Marvel Snap the past few weeks. It’s so incredibly well tuned to give me the jolt of clever strategy in 5-minute or less chunks that I keep opening the app anytime I have to wait for anything. It’s literally taken over Twitter time (which could not come at a better moment), and frankly, not blasting myself constantly with awful news is a fair tradeoff for a crippling game addiction.

But yeah, the game is tapping into the part of my brain that was dedicated to Magic the Gathering. There’s just enough card synergies that I’m constantly turning over deck ideas in my head. Add to that some gorgeous art work (in part drawn by the Penny Arcade guys) and a very fair progression system, and I can see this game being my go-to for a good long while.

1 Like

I’m starting to get to a new unlock pool, and there are lots of really clever cards. I don’t quite know how I’ll use them yet, but I get a new card that makes me go ‘huh!’ in a good way surprisingly often. Professor X locks a location entirely- really interesting. Hobgoblin is a -7 power but gives itself to your opponent- very neat with how precious space is, and both needing a space to play it and one on their side (but successfully play it and you get your space back!).

2 Likes

I’m with the panel on The Witcher: I played the ever-loving crap out of the first game and loved every minute of it - so much so that the moment I finished my first playthrough, I started a second one in which I took a somewhat different path and endeavoured to play every last bit of content available.

But that was 2011. At the time, everything about the game clicked with me - the storytelling, the characters, and yes, even the gameplay.

Any time after those first two playthroughs, when I tried to go back to it, I bounced off it about halfway through the first chapter. It just has not aged well, And even The Witcher 2, which had some seriously rough edges, outshines it now. I treasure the memories I have of playing the first game, but I can’t in good conscience recommend to anyone to play it today.

2 Likes

I literally still have my Zero Punctuation “This Is A MuMORPerger” (or however it’s spelled) t-shirt lol. I don’t think I need to handle OG Witcher.

Also: my AP Bio teacher in high school was talking about hormone receptors in cells and how caffeine (and cocaine) are designed to interact with the cell’s natural adrenaline receptor. I don’t remember the exact quote but something about “our brains are too stupid to tell the difference.”

This is all to say that I’m utterly terrified of Marvel Snap.

1 Like

More Marvel Snap: A location randomly placed Agatha Harkness in my hand. She’s a 6 energy 14 power who plays the game for you. Hilarious. Also, you lost, Agatha, you suck.

3 Likes

There’s also a location, Ego the Living Planet, that does the same thing for both players. It’s a super rare location, so it happens only often enough to elicit a laugh. This game rules.

2 Likes

Snap has really captured my brain. It’s just fun to play? It doesn’t feel toxic? The battlepass looks totally optional. Winning or losing doesn’t super matter, and despite how many games I’ve played, I’m still discovering crazy card interactions thanks to the location system. One game had a location that changed the rules so we drew from each others decks. I had no idea what I was doing, so yeah, this game rules.

Also, at least at my rank, this Odin + White Tiger deck I stumbled into seems to work really well.

3 Likes

Hell yeah Rob’s playing Swansong. I can’t wait to hear him discuss all the terrible vampire politics, the weird hitman levels, the kinda-problematic-but-kinda-cool story beats around Leysha…

5 minutes later in the podcast “Anyway I didn’t like any of the archetypes so I made my own”
oh no

There’s basically a failure spiral in that game where you have low stats → you fail your objectives → you get less XP → you can’t raise your stats for the next chapter → …

1 Like

i have played 14 hours and 17 minutes of marvel snap this week?! how did i manage to do that?!? with as short as the rounds are…thats a lot of rounds.
does anyone know if there are any sort of stats? i want to know what my w/l/d ratio is. i had a really good run there. ive also finished the season pass, lol.

1 Like